SimCity Societies

by loveleylilyy

Original Post

Re: Simcity Socieites crashes on startup

★★★ Novice

When installing SCS;
1. Change the installation folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies TM" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies"
2. Open Windows Explorer and go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies". Change the program to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode (on Windows 10 this can be done by: "Right click on SimCitySocieties.exe - Troubleshoot compatibility - Troubleshoot Program - This program worked in an earlier version of Windows but won't install or run now - Windows 7").
3. Don't start the game through Origin (use the shortcut on the desktop instead).

SCS versions that work on Windows 8/8.1/10 (with Windows 7 compatibility mode enabled):
v1.0.0.6 (SCS original version).
v1.1.0.273 (Destinations expansion pack - ie running "SimCity Societies Launcher"/SimCitySocieties.exe or "SimCity Societies Destination Launcher"/SCSDestinations.exe and ticking "select to include SimCity Destinations content into your game").

SCS versions that do not work on Windows 8/8.1/10:
v1.0.4.243 (SCS after the latest patch is installed; SCS_104243_H.exe).
v1.0.4.270 (SCS after Destinations is installed - ie running "SimCity Societies Launcher"/SimCitySocieties.exe or "SimCity Societies Destination Launcher"/SCSDestinations.exe and unticking "select to include SimCity Destinations content into your game").

SCS crashes upon startup: Windows gives the following error; "SimCity has stopped working - A problem caused the problem to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

The latest version of SCS (1.0.4.243 or 1.0.4.270) only works in Windows XP/Vista/7. EA need to create a patch to make the latest version of SCS work in Windows 8/8.1/10 (either 1.0.4.243 or 1.0.4.270). I have reported this issue to their Chat Support, but their Dev teams must read this post and Test the Latest Version of their Software on Windows 8/8.1/10.

Note this thread should definately not be marked as solved. Simcity Societies has not been been working for 3 years (since Windows 8 was released in 2012). See these posts;

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-SimCity-Games/SimCity-Societies/td-p/13544/page/7
"I have recently purchased digital edition of simcity societies and destinations. installed on windows 8 and but societies is not working at all, while destinations is working."

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-SimCity-Games/SimCity-Societies/td-p/13544/page/9
"Ok so I am trying to start up Simcity Societies, but it crashes before it even reaches the intro video, help would be appreciated. P.S I'm running Win 8"
"Ok since it seems someone deleted my thread for some reason, let me try this again. Every time I try to start up Simcity Societies, it ends up crashing, I am running Win8"

The fact the latest version of SCS does not work on Windows 8/8.1/10 means that a) the additional features added to the game in version 1.0.4.243/270 are not available to the customer, and b) mods developed for the game cannot be applied (because these have generally been developed for SCS version 1.0.4.243/270). This entire game was designed to be customisable, and it is currently being sold in an a) outdated and b) uncustomisable form.

Message 131 of 145 (7,012 Views)

Re: SimCity Societies

★★★ Novice

SCS installation instructions (these won't solve the problem but are required to install SCS on a modern system);
1. Change the installation folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies TM" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies"
2. Open Windows Explorer and go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies". Change the program to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode (on Windows 10 this can be done by: "Right click on SimCitySocieties.exe - Troubleshoot compatibility - Troubleshoot Program - This program worked in an earlier version of Windows but won't install or run now - Windows 7").
3. Don't start the game through Origin (use the shortcut on the desktop instead).
4. If necessary install .net 2.0 (on Windows 10 this can be done by: control panel - programs and features - windows features - turn on ".NET framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)")

SCS versions that work on Windows 8/8.1/10 (with Windows 7 compatibility mode enabled):
v1.0.0.6 (SCS original version).
v1.1.0.273 (Destinations expansion pack - ie running "SimCity Societies Launcher"/SimCitySocieties.exe or "SimCity Societies Destination Launcher"/SCSDestinations.exe and ticking "select to include SimCity Destinations content into your game").

SCS versions that do not work on Windows 8/8.1/10:
v1.0.4.243 (SCS after the latest patch is installed; SCS_104243_H.exe).
v1.0.4.270 (SCS after Destinations is installed - ie running "SimCity Societies Launcher"/SimCitySocieties.exe or "SimCity Societies Destination Launcher"/SCSDestinations.exe and unticking "select to include SimCity Destinations content into your game").

SCS crashes upon startup: Windows gives the following error; "SimCity has stopped working - A problem caused the problem to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

The latest version of SCS (1.0.4.243 or 1.0.4.270) only works in Windows XP/Vista/7. EA need to create a patch to make the latest version of SCS work in Windows 8/8.1/10 (either 1.0.4.243 or 1.0.4.270). I have reported this issue to their Chat Support, but their Dev teams must read this post and Test the Latest Version of their Software on Windows 8/8.1/10.

Note this thread should definately not be marked as solved. The latest version of Simcity Societies has not been been working for 3 years (since Windows 8 was released in 2012). See these posts;

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-SimCity-Games/SimCity-Societies/td-p/13544/page/7
"I have recently purchased digital edition of simcity societies and destinations. installed on windows 8 and but societies is not working at all, while destinations is working."

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-SimCity-Games/SimCity-Societies/td-p/13544/page/9
"Ok so I am trying to start up Simcity Societies, but it crashes before it even reaches the intro video, help would be appreciated. P.S I'm running Win 8"
"Ok since it seems someone deleted my thread for some reason, let me try this again. Every time I try to start up Simcity Societies, it ends up crashing, I am running Win8"

The fact the latest version of SCS does not work on Windows 8/8.1/10 means that a) the additional features added to the game in version 1.0.4.243/270 are not available to the customer, and b) mods developed for the game cannot be applied (because these have generally been developed for SCS version 1.0.4.243/270). This entire game was designed to be customisable, and it is currently being sold in an a) outdated and b) uncustomisable form.

The bug is present in both the DVD and the Origin versions of SCS.

Message 132 of 145 (7,012 Views)

Re: Simcity Societies

★★★★★ Expert

This message thread is hosted on the Answer HQ website, a community of EA game players.  We do Self-Help discussion here, not anything official about what we do here.  However, it seems that no one playing your old game, who has a lot of experience, is visiting this particular ("Other Simcity Games") forum. 

As such, you will have to visit the official customer support people at EA's Help Center. 

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Answer-HQ/How-to-contact-a-Game-Advisor-using-the-new-EA-Help-page/m-p/2161...

Message 133 of 145 (7,012 Views)

Re: Sims Society will not start

★★★★ Apprentice

I can tell you I had this same issue. I was able to resolve this issue by logging out of Origin and logging back in. However, the issue of trying to "sign into the EA login box" still eludes me Frown GL. 

Message 134 of 145 (7,012 Views)

Re: Activate Simcity Societies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

With luck, member Baxter may have something to offer! 

Message 135 of 145 (7,012 Views)

Re: [SimCity Societies] not working on windows 8

★★★ Newbie

It is shamefull that games are not supported on new OS ......

Unless EA does something about it, am just going to go back to Blizzard and make sure everyone does the same .....
Very poor management of game compatibility !!!!

Message 136 of 145 (6,997 Views)

Re: SimCity Societies not working in recent OSes

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Every company's games grow old, lose popularity, and become abandoned.  EA simply has been in the business longer than most anyone else still active, so it's natural there are more obsoleted games that were from EA.

Message 137 of 145 (6,992 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Companies growing old is a void argument.

Various old games work, no other company sells out of date products depending on a new launcher asking for a pre-launcher era component in order to run although it should not be needed.

This is gross neglect, straight up trolling it seems, and/or something they should reimburse people for + get a multi million dollar fine for allowing to exist.

This * is wasting time and money for humanity.

EA absorbed westwood studios, they yanked in sim city, yet their primary * is fifa and the sims expansions costing same as a new game each expansion. And ofc various re-prints of battlefield.

EA are frauds, and incompetent ones at best.

Message 138 of 145 (6,641 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Thanks for your feedback @HiQConsoul. I'd recommend checking this article from Microsoft about running older programs created for earlier versions of Windows: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows.

Message 139 of 145 (6,611 Views)

★ Novice

So unfair. I am trying everything. I feel I have wasted my money. Can anyone help?

Message 140 of 145 (5,334 Views)