SimCity Societies needs Net 2.0 on my new computer - Won`t install

by Pantheos333

Original Post

SimCity Societies needs Net 2.0 on my new computer - Won`t install

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Tells me its installing Net 2.0 and may take few minutes but its been a hour. btw new computer with more than enough power with windows 10 pro - Thanks in advance for help to resolve this

Message 1 of 3 (981 Views)

Re: SimCity Societies needs Net 2.0 on my new computer - Won`t install

Hero (Retired)

@Pantheos333 - I have moved your post to the Other SimCity Games forum.

I am not familiar with SimCity Societies, but I can see that it is a very old game and therefore may have issues installing and playing on newer systems. Some basics for installing older games -

Run the installation files & Origin "As Administrator"

Be sure that antivirus and firewalls are allowing the installation files, or temporarily turn off antivirus during install

To install .Net 2.0, Go to Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off > Check the box next to ".NET framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)"

After installation:

Set the game executable to run "As Administrator" and Run in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7

Make sure that the programs are added to exception lists for antivirus and firewalls; if you're using Windows Defender, check the Controlled Folder Access settings

If the program file folder has a "TM" in it, remove that. Check \Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts Change \SimCity Societies TM\ to \SimCity Societies\

There is more information and SCS specifics in this post: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-SimCity-Games/Simcity-Societies-Failure-on-Windows-8-8-1-10-v1-0-4-2...

Hopefully someone in this forum can help with more specific information about SCS. Happy Building!

Message 2 of 3 (950 Views)

Re: SimCity Societies needs Net 2.0 on my new computer - Won`t install

★★★★★ Novice
@Pantheos333 Check [your hard drive]\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework and see if you have a "v2" or "v2.0" there. If you do, take it out and try again. If not, see if you have a Microsoft Net 2.0 elsewhere (another game may have put it in a strange location such as the (x86) version of Program Files), or use the method @BlackjackWidow provides to regenerate it.

If none of that works, please let us know.
Message 3 of 3 (914 Views)