SimCity 4 Windows 10

by Forklift17

Original Post

Re: SimCity 4 Windows 10

★★ Novice

@BlackjackWidow -  Thank you for your help!!!  You are a true asset to the community.  I am looking forward to introducing my 7 year old son to Simcity 4 today!

Message 41 of 60 (3,476 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Really glad they were able to get it sorted for you. I hope you and your son have an awesome time playing SimCity 4! Sounds like a wonderful way to spend some parent-child time Thumbs up

Message 42 of 60 (3,475 Views)

★★★ Newbie

thanks for sharing with us...

Message 43 of 60 (3,405 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

The reason you can't properly run SimCity 4 on Windows 10 is because it uses the SafeDisc copy protection system, of which Microsoft removed the driver from Windows 10 for "security reasons", rendering all games that have it unplayable unless you get a digital version from the likes of GOG, Steam and Origin 

mcdvoice mybkexperience

Message 44 of 60 (3,406 Views)

★★ Novice

They can't do anything about it. It just really sucks that we can't play Sim City 4 at all on Windows 10.  I have contacted EA and they added it to Origin but I still cannot play it either.  They need to come out with a Sim City 5 for Windows 10.

Message 45 of 60 (3,335 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @needfulth1ngs - They actually came out with SimCity 5 in 2013. It's also a legacy game now, but it plays fine on Windows 10. You can play Single Player (offline) or Multiplayer (online). I suggest the Complete Edition, it incorporates a lot more gameplay & gives you more flexibility, but if you just want to try it out the base game works pretty well.

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/simcity/simcity

That being said, if EA added SimCity 4 to your library and you downloaded & installed the digital version, it should work. There are a number of tweaks you might need to do to make it playable, though. This Guide and this Post both have some tips, depending on what your issue has been. 

Message 46 of 60 (3,324 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for the Information.  I did purchase it and downloaded but I cannot play it because I keep getting an error that says that the server is down and it will be fixed soon.  I have closed it and re-opened it and try to change the server to a country much closer but it won't let me and I keep getting that error.  It automatically opens the splash screen to the European servers and I am in the US. I cannot play it.  Is there any way to fix this or can I get a refund?

Message 47 of 60 (3,312 Views)

★★★ Newbie

For a "high tech" company, this lot are an unbelievable! I was going to call them amateurs, but that would be an insult to anyone not working for EA. Get a grip or get taken over is my advice!

Message 48 of 60 (2,904 Views)

SimCity 4 - Disc issues with Windows 10 - Digital Version Help?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I just spent over an hour 20 with EA "Help" over my CD-Rom copy of Sim City 4 Deluxe. 

He claimed it could not be honored because it's not longer supported. I then showed him the link on Origin where the game is forsale. 

After 40 minutes of telling me to wait while he gather details, he went into the same routine of telling me to talk to Target. I used to work customer service for target, this is a physical game, it's not a download key. He's not a native English speaker and apparently this was all way over his head. 

I was hoping I could get some help here. spending over an hour with "help" for something simple is no way to run a company. 

I have a log of the conversation, and my CD-Rom, it's case, and booklet. 

Message 49 of 60 (2,087 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @wrightwinger

Sorry to hear that and I'm afraid we can't check this out for you from the forums.

I've reached out to the support team about this to see if it was an issue they could in fact help you with. They said the issue with the disc itself can't be helped due to an update with Windows, disabled the use of SafeDisc. However, if you can reach back out to them and provide the game code, they might be able to help after checking out the code. 

Could you have the CD Key ready and valid proof of purchase?

- EA_Lanna 

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 50 of 60 (2,052 Views)