SimCity 4 Windows 10

by Forklift17

Original Post

Re: SimCity 4 Windows 10

★★ Novice

So much bad information in this thread. I play SimCity 4 on my PC Windows 10. There are some things you need to do to make it compatible. I won't list them here. Google is your friend.
BUT if you got the game through Origin, then you are screwed. Origin does not update the game. The Origin client will tell you that the game is up to date, but the SimCity4.exe file remains at version 1.1.610. To run custom content or mods, you need it updated to 1.1.638 or the latest update, 1.1.641. Origin refuses to do that for some reason. And there are forum posts here on Answers HQ addressing this issue that went ignored for over a year.

On the Maxis Files for SimCity 4 website:
"EP1 Update

The main patch for SimCity 4 Rush Hour / Deluxe.

This update is required as a minimum for most custom content including the NAM. Upon installation, your game will be updated to Version 1.1.638.0 from where the Nightlights Update can then be applied.

Note: Digital versions of SC4 do not require this, providing they are fully patched (1.1.641.0). A notable exception is the Origin edition which is both unpatched and unpatchable, and therefore not recommended."
https://community.simtropolis.com/sc4-maxis-files/

Message 31 of 60 (6,780 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How do I get into an online chat with someone at EA help because I dont want to phone as it will cost money and an online chat would be easier for me than a phone call

Message 32 of 60 (6,750 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Nope
Message 33 of 60 (5,704 Views)

★★★ Newbie

iv tried compatibility mode but its not doing it

Message 34 of 60 (4,617 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @gamerandy918 - Are you trying to install SimCity 4 from a disc or the digital download from Origin? 

If from a disc and you've had the CD for a while and purchased it new & unopened, you may be able to register the games in Origin. See this for more info: Origin - Redeem your product and promotional codes However, since SimCity 4 is a legacy game, Origin may not recognize the promo codes. If it won't take, you'll need to contact EA support and ask them to add it to your account. They will probably ask for some kind of purchase verification. 

If you bought the game disc in a used condition, it's likely that the codes were already registered on Origin and therefore would not be transferable to your account. Once a game is registered in Origin, the promo code cannot be sold or transferred to another person's account. If this is the case, I would suggest returning to the seller and explaining that you can't use it.

Message 35 of 60 (4,549 Views)

★★ Novice

Purchased simcity4 deluxe (cd version) over 10 years ago at Target.  Tried to install on Win 10 machine with no joy.  Based on rec, tried contacting EA customer support.  They said I should contact Target for resolution.  Me thinks BS.

(10/18/2020, 4:15:05 PM): I'm trying to install Simcity 4 on a win 10 machine. I purchased it many years ago. The program will not start.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:15:48 PM): I will surely look into the details and would provide the best possible resolution for it.
(10/18/2020, 4:15:49 PM): To clarify... the program installed ok. It just won't start.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:22:31 PM): I am checking this for you.  
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:40:05 PM): Brandon, are you getting any error message while launching the game?
(10/18/2020, 4:40:29 PM): no error messages... game wont launch
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:43:21 PM): Please login here: www.origin.com and go to games library and see if you can launch the game here.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:45:26 PM): Did you login?
(10/18/2020, 4:45:47 PM): i did... trying to launch now
(10/18/2020, 4:46:14 PM): it wants me to purchase it...
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:47:12 PM): Just to confirm, you have the game already. Right?
(10/18/2020, 4:47:29 PM): YES
(10/18/2020, 4:48:16 PM): when i try to refgister in origin, it says product code unrecognized
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:48:51 PM): May I know where did you purchase the game from?
(10/18/2020, 4:49:45 PM): target
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:50:42 PM): Thank you for the information.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:52:04 PM): I am afraid, for the game to work and launch the code has to redeemed to your account first as the code is not working. and we have no information about the purchase of this and I have consulted our team to check if there is anything else we can help you with however for this you will have to contact the retailer itself and I hope you understand the billing details are in the same place you purchase the product from and in this case you will need to contact the retailer itself as they have the details of the product sold and the billing details for it which can be checked from their end and not from our end.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:53:04 PM): I would suggest you to contact the retailer and check it from there so that you get this resolved.
(10/18/2020, 4:53:33 PM): what do you need? a purchase receipt?
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:54:16 PM): We cannot check this from our end so you will have to contact retailer.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:54:44 PM): If we had any option to check this from our end I sure would have however we have no option to do that for a product purchased from somewhere else as we have no details of what code was sold and it's billing details to validate.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:55:09 PM): We have got contacts regarding this and you need to contact the retailer itself for this.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:55:22 PM): Let me explain how this works.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 4:57:20 PM): When a game is given to retailers to sale all the rights of the game and related to it is given to the retailer so that they can help up with any issue faced later on in game, when anything is given for selling we cannot hold half the information to us which is why we cannot check anything related to game when it's purchased from retailers and they definitely can check and help you with this so please don't worry.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:00:25 PM): I hope the information that I have provided has closed your issue and clear your confusion with this. Is there anything else I may help you with today?
(10/18/2020, 5:01:43 PM): this was not a digital download purchase from target... i purchased the game cds in a sealed package. i fail to see how target has anything to do with it...
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:03:54 PM): When a game is given to retailers to sale all the rights of the game and related to it is given to the retailer so that they can help up with any issue faced later on in game. So in CD games you get a code which you need to redeem it to your account if there is any issue redeeming it it has to be reported and contacted to retailer.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:05:59 PM): Because when the games are given for selling we cannot hold half the information to us which is why we cannot check anything related to game when it's purchased from retailers and they definitely can check and help you with this so please don't worry.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:09:32 PM): Since I have provided you the required information regarding this case, Is there anything else I may help you with today?
(10/18/2020, 5:09:58 PM): is there a department at target i should speak with? do you have a phone number?
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:11:07 PM): I am afraid, we are EA Support and we have no information about other retailers however you can check online and see if you can get it. I am sure that will help.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:11:50 PM): Brandon, Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:15:06 PM): Are we connected?
(10/18/2020, 5:15:19 PM): so... you don't have info about other retailers, but you give "half the information" regarding the software to the same retailers?
(10/18/2020, 5:15:59 PM): seems like a classic case of "its not my fault".
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:18:38 PM): I am afraid, we can help you with the details of where can you contact for a specific issue however as we cannot check the game details from our end because we have no information of it same like that we have no information of it's help line. If it had been an issue from our end we could help you with that I hope this clears the confusion here for you.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:18:48 PM): I’m sorry but I have provided you with the available resolution for the issue, Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:21:59 PM): Are we connected?
(10/18/2020, 5:22:06 PM): issue not resolved. i will contact target, but expect to be laughed at.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:22:55 PM): Please contact retailer as only they will be able to check this for you. Thank you for giving me a chance to serve you. For any queries you can always check our knowledge base at help.ea.com and Answers.ea.com.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:23:06 PM): Thank you for contacting EA Help. Good bye and take care of yourself.
Deepika (10/18/2020, 5:23:10 PM): Stay safe.

Message 36 of 60 (4,216 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@bjtaksa - I completely understand your frustration, and I also don't think that contacting Target will do anything for you. 

It seems you've already read the explanation about the old SimCity 4 CD's, but in case someone else reads this in the future and is unaware: SimCity 4 CD's have security software called SecuRom - an old digital rights management software - that is not supported in Windows anymore. The game will not install or run from the CD at all. In order to get SimCity 4, you have to have a digital copy of the game. 

You used to be able to enter the product code from the CD into Origin, which would register the game for you and then give you a digital copy. But, the past few years there have been many posts where people say the code isn't recognized in Origin anymore. That's why I advise people to contact customer service, because they should technically be able to add the game for you. 

There's a couple of problems because of the age of the game, though. First of all, CS needs to verify that you actually purchased the product (and it was not a used game). I understand you bought it unsealed and unopened 10 years ago. I know the odds are small, but do you actually have any purchase receipt or way to prove it? (You were right on track when you asked if that was what they needed.) Let me know if you have any purchase verification - don't attach it here, just reply back that you do. I might be able to help escalate to someone who can help with that info.

Secondly, almost always when a CD code won't work, it's because the game is already registered on an account. This could be the issue with your game if you've ever registered it in Origin in the past 10 years. It could already be registered, maybe under a different account that you used way back then. If this is a possibility at all, it might be less painful to try logging in to any old user name/password combinations that you had back then. If you find it registered somewhere, then at least you could go back to EA Help and ask them to move the game from the old account to the new one. 

You could also buy a digital copy. Not ideal and I hate telling people to buy something when they already did, but the game does go on sale frequently and for pretty cheap. Their holiday sales should be coming up soon, and $5 or $10 might be worth getting rid of the hassle.

Message 37 of 60 (4,190 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@bjtaksa - I've asked someone to look into your case. It appears that your support case is under a different account name than the forum account you posted with here. Could you please attach proof of purchase (or anything that would help - maybe a picture of the CD case and code?) to the case you created, and then reply here, we might be able to help further. Fingers crossed

Message 38 of 60 (4,168 Views)

★★ Novice

@BlackjackWidow - Thanks for the help!

I've uploaded the requested pic to my support case.  I also sent you a PM.

Thanks again-

Brandon

Message 39 of 60 (4,158 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@bjtaksa - thanks so much for the supplied documentation. Please check your game library - you should be all set.  I've also requested that Customer Service review their information on how to handle any future requests such as yours. Thanks for raising the issue, hopefully there can be a more fluid response in the future. Happy Building!

Message 40 of 60 (4,115 Views)