Re: SimCity 4 Windows 10

by lakotaluca37

Original Post

Accepted Solution

SimCity 4 Windows 10

★★★ Newbie

I have a DVD-ROM copy of SimCity 4, but I can't seem to get it running in Windows 10. Is there any way to reuse the CD code in origin, since SimCity 4 can be played here as well?

Message 1 of 60 (135,933 Views)

Accepted Solution

EA app Team

Hi @lakotaluca37,

The code you are looking at, the one in the manual, is the code you would need. However, some old games cannot be redeemed by yourself in Origin, and you will need one of our advisors to help you with it.

Please, contact them through EA Help. You will find a detailed explanation on how to contact them if you need it here.

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask Standard smile

Welcome to Answers HQ!

-Mai

View in thread

Message 8 of 60 (134,104 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Try the game on compatibility mode. Put CD in then right click and look for the option that lets you see the contents of CD, find the SimCity 4 exe -> right click and troubleshoot for compatibility windows will give you for eg. Windows 7 option and then test.

To get the game into Origin just enter the key that you received with the game. If there is no key then try contacting EA and tell them that you own the game with proof that they will probably ask for and they might add it for you to your Origin account.

Message 2 of 60 (163,403 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This Game uses Secure Rom which is a anti piracy technology that windows 10 doesn't support because it is a possible security threat.

Message 3 of 60 (135,706 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Where do you enter the key?

@OnSync wrote:

Try the game on compatibility mode. Put CD in then right click and look for the option that lets you see the contents of CD, find the SimCity 4 exe -> right click and troubleshoot for compatibility windows will give you for eg. Windows 7 option and then test.

To get the game into Origin just enter the gey that you received with the game. If there is no key then try contacting EA and tell them that you own the game with proof that they will probably ask for and they might add it for you to your Origin account.

Message 4 of 60 (135,146 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@L3viathus

Since the digital copy dispensed with that type protection ("Secure ROM"), follow these instructions: 

https://help.ea.com/en-sg/help/origin/origin/redeem-your-serial-code-in-origin/

Message 5 of 60 (135,122 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried using the code on my case beneath the manual to install Sim City 4 through the Origin website and it said the code wasn't valid. What's going on?

Message 6 of 60 (134,153 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Also, where is the product code on the CD-ROM case?

Message 7 of 60 (134,151 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @lakotaluca37,

The code you are looking at, the one in the manual, is the code you would need. However, some old games cannot be redeemed by yourself in Origin, and you will need one of our advisors to help you with it.

Please, contact them through EA Help. You will find a detailed explanation on how to contact them if you need it here.

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask Standard smile

Welcome to Answers HQ!

-Mai

Message 8 of 60 (134,105 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My wife bought Sim City 4 and apparently stored it away for nearly a year before giving it to me. I can't get windows 10 to run the game even though I have a product key and EA tech support told me that I have to go back to where the game was purchased because my key isn't any good. I get the "invalid key" on origins however when I initially installed the game from the discs I had to enter the product key and it worked just fine. I also get the box that has a "Play" button as well as the "manual" and "Sim City.com" but it seems that anytime I select one of these options the program crashes. Any ideas on how to fix it? Changing compatibility mode hasn't worked for me.

Message 9 of 60 (131,918 Views)

★★ Guide

@clarinetarmy

Redeeming keys on Origin doesn't work for all titles.

The reason you can't properly run SimCity 4 on Windows 10 is because it uses the SafeDisc copy protection system, of which Microsoft removed the driver from Windows 10 for "security reasons", rendering all games that have it unplayable unless you get a digital version from the likes of GOG, Steam and Origin (all of which have SimCity 4 Deluxe), or use a modified executable from the Internet.

Message 10 of 60 (131,874 Views)