Re: Sim City 4 won't launch

by peepants35

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sim City 4 won't launch

★★ Novice

Hi all, I just obtained my Origin copy of sim city 4 and when I try to launch it a box appears asking if I want to allow the app to make changes to my computer. No matter if I say yes or no, it doesn't launch! Any ideas?

Message 1 of 7 (6,445 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @peepants35 - Windows 10 pops that box up when you have an *.exe set to "Run As Administrator". It's just a "helpful security" message lol. So, you have SimCity set to "Run as Admininstrator", which is good - just say "yes" when the box pops up. Also make sure you have set Origin.exe to "Run As Administrator" too, all of EA's games require it.

I don't know about SimCity 4 - this is the forum for SimCity 5 (from 2013) - but here are some tips that might help, regardless of the version you're running:

First - it might be that you just have to let the game download or configure on the first launch, so say "OK" to the popup from Windows, then let it set for a while to see if it launches. If it definitely hangs on launch, this is usually because some other program is blocking it. 

• Set Origin.exe and SimCity to both "Run As Administrator"
  • Make sure Origin.exe and SimCity.exe are added to exception lists for your anti-virus, firewall and any other Internet security software like Ad-Block
  • Disable any proxy servers
  • Update Windows, graphic drivers and audio drivers
  • If you have BitDefender (anti-virus/malware program) or MSI Nahimic 2 (audio management program) installed, disable or uninstall. Both are known to block SimCity with weird consequences 
  •  In Origin, right-click the SimCity icon > choose Game Properties > Uncheck the box that says "Enable Origin In Game" and try to launch again. 

• Don't use dual monitors - set to single monitor mode 
  • If you have a 4k monitor, set your desktop resolution to 1080p (or less). Older games don't handle ultra-high def very well
  • Perform a clean boot, then run the game. If it works, then enable each startup program one at a time, reboot and run the game again until you find which one is incompatible and blocking the game. This can take some time, but it's sometimes the only way to find out what is blocking the game. If you find what is blocking it, disable or uninstall that program and you should be able to run the game normally

If you still can't get it working, try doing a full uninstall of Origin. Then do a reinstall using the full setup file from https://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe. Make certain to run OriginSetup.exe "As Adminstrator", and temporarily disable your antivirus and anti-malware programs. I hope this helps

If it still won't launch, I think the SimCity 4 forum would be a better place to get an answer. Pinging @EA_Mai @EA_Barry to see if they can help. Good luck!

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (6,419 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @peepants35 - Windows 10 pops that box up when you have an *.exe set to "Run As Administrator". It's just a "helpful security" message lol. So, you have SimCity set to "Run as Admininstrator", which is good - just say "yes" when the box pops up. Also make sure you have set Origin.exe to "Run As Administrator" too, all of EA's games require it.

I don't know about SimCity 4 - this is the forum for SimCity 5 (from 2013) - but here are some tips that might help, regardless of the version you're running:

First - it might be that you just have to let the game download or configure on the first launch, so say "OK" to the popup from Windows, then let it set for a while to see if it launches. If it definitely hangs on launch, this is usually because some other program is blocking it. 

• Set Origin.exe and SimCity to both "Run As Administrator"
  • Make sure Origin.exe and SimCity.exe are added to exception lists for your anti-virus, firewall and any other Internet security software like Ad-Block
  • Disable any proxy servers
  • Update Windows, graphic drivers and audio drivers
  • If you have BitDefender (anti-virus/malware program) or MSI Nahimic 2 (audio management program) installed, disable or uninstall. Both are known to block SimCity with weird consequences 
  •  In Origin, right-click the SimCity icon > choose Game Properties > Uncheck the box that says "Enable Origin In Game" and try to launch again. 

• Don't use dual monitors - set to single monitor mode 
  • If you have a 4k monitor, set your desktop resolution to 1080p (or less). Older games don't handle ultra-high def very well
  • Perform a clean boot, then run the game. If it works, then enable each startup program one at a time, reboot and run the game again until you find which one is incompatible and blocking the game. This can take some time, but it's sometimes the only way to find out what is blocking the game. If you find what is blocking it, disable or uninstall that program and you should be able to run the game normally

If you still can't get it working, try doing a full uninstall of Origin. Then do a reinstall using the full setup file from https://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe. Make certain to run OriginSetup.exe "As Adminstrator", and temporarily disable your antivirus and anti-malware programs. I hope this helps

If it still won't launch, I think the SimCity 4 forum would be a better place to get an answer. Pinging @EA_Mai @EA_Barry to see if they can help. Good luck!

Message 2 of 7 (6,420 Views)

EA app Team
Thanks @BlackjackWidow Standard smile

I've just moved this thread into 'Other SimCity games' forum. I hope BlackjackWidow's suggestions help, let us know how it goes @peepants35!

Cheers,
-Mai
Message 3 of 7 (6,392 Views)

★★ Novice

Re-installed and got the game to work! Thanks guys for the help!

I did have one other question- now that the game is working I'd like to install some mods for the game. I started with the extra cheats mod to fool around with unlimited simoleons, but I can't get it to work. 

When I try to open the extra cheats file, a box appears saying I'm attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll), and I have to select an app to open it. App? What app? When I had the game installed before Windows 10 I just unzipped everything into my folder. I can select internet explorer to reach another box, but when I select 'open', a prompt appears saying the file does not have an app associated with it (App? What app?) and I have to install one or 'create an association' in my apps settings?

Please forgive me if this is a dum-dum question but I'm at a loss here. Before Windows 10 I could just unzip and open at will. Any ideas?

Message 4 of 7 (6,340 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

I'm so glad you were able to get your game running.

As far as the mod problem goes, I can only guess as I'm not familiar with SimCity 4, and I usually run vanilla games. However, if you're getting the message that you're trying to open a *.dll, my guess is the files are already unzipped, or you're clicking on a file within the zipped folder.

You should not be opening a *.dll file regardless. So, I suggest you go back to wherever you got the mod & double check the install instructions. Sometimes helps to review. If you can't figure it out, a new topic will probably get you some answers that are better than I can do. Good luck!

Message 5 of 7 (6,317 Views)

★★ Novice

Turns out you're right- I didn't need to open the 'dll' file. The mod works by simply having it in my plugins folder- as opposed to some of the other mods which I have to actually open and install (like the Pegasus garbage chute- I needed to open that file, although it wasn't a dll). Huh! Who knew? Not Peepants, that's for sure

Well, both mods (and the game) are working fine now!

Thanks for the help, Mr. Blackjack- much appreciated! Standard smile

Message 6 of 7 (6,306 Views)

Hero (Retired)
No problem, thanks for telling the results. Happy building!
Message 7 of 7 (6,293 Views)