[PC] SimCity 4 won't launch on Windows 10

by grantbrenner

Original Post

[PC] SimCity 4 won't launch on Windows 10

★★★ Newbie

I'm using an old disk copy of SimCity 4 that I've had for many years. I've tried just about every combination of settings. Compatibility mode doesn't help at all. The game just doesn't launch. It's very frustrating.

Is there any way I could get an Origin download for the game? I've read that the Origin version works fine on Windows 10. I don't have a receipt for the game since I bought it so long ago, but I do have the case with the product code and both discs.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2 (680 Views)

Re: [PC] SimCity 4 won't launch on Windows 10

Hero (Retired)

The old CDs for SimCity 4 will absolutely not run on Windows 10. They were made with a special kind of copy protection called SecuRom. The only way to run the game now is to get a digital copy from Origin. If you've had the CD for a while and purchased it new & unopened, you'll need to contact EA support and ask them to add it to your account. They will probably ask for some kind of purchase verification (pictures of the cases and product code might be acceptable)

Also check to make sure you didn't already register your game in Origin under a different/old user name. If it's already registered under an old account, you can ask them to move it to your existing account.  **see below for more info

**If you bought the CD used, it's likely that the codes were already registered on Origin and therefore would not be transferable to your account. Once a game is registered in Origin, the promo code cannot be sold or transferred to another person's account. If this is the case, I would suggest returning to the seller and explaining that you can't use it.

Message 2 of 2 (662 Views)