[Mac] SimCity and MacOS Catalina & newer

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Re: [Mac] SimCity and MacOS Catalina

★★★ Newbie

Why even have it available to purchase on MAC if I can't even play it. Not to mention the hours of time I wasted trying to figure out how to get it to install.
Great work EA. Enjoy my money, wish I could enjoy my game.

Message 31 of 102 (4,329 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@kfs44 - It's still offered because players have Macs that are not running Catalina, or they are willing to work around the issue with one of the options on the first post.

If you recently purchased SimCity from Origin, you may want to check out the Great Game Guarantee 

Message 32 of 102 (4,312 Views)

Origins will not let me install games

★★★ Newbie

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out I tried googling the answer but nothing seems to be helping. 

I recently wanted to get back into Sim City, I bought it through Origins initially, and realized because I was running Catalina I needed to update it. After updating, when I try to run it through origins it just has the install button, I'll click it, it'll briefly flash finalizing, and then revert back to the install button, cannot get past this part. I tried deleting the game, deleting origins re-downloaing but still having the same issue, I've tried reloading the game library but nothing seems to work, even after removing the sim city app it still shows that its downloaded and will still have the install button. Was wondering if anyone knew what was up and how to fix this.

Thanks in advance. 

Message 33 of 102 (4,311 Views)

Re: Origins will not let me install games

Hero (Retired)

Hi @DirtayBG  -  I moved your post to the master thread on this issue. Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15. There is more information in the first post in this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Mac-SimCity-and-MacOS-Catalina/m-p/8298578#M127940 , including some options for running 32-bit games after upgrading to Catalina. 

Message 34 of 102 (4,263 Views)

Re: Game is stuck on Finalizing after Installing

★★★ Newbie

Hi! I need help as I am having the same problem! but I am using a Mac. 

Origin download manager says its "finalizing" but does not finish the download. 

Message 35 of 102 (4,237 Views)

Re: Game is stuck on Finalizing after Installing

Hero (Retired)

Hi @MarissaM30 - I've moved your post to the master thread on this issue. Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15. There is more information in the first post in this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Mac-SimCity-and-MacOS-Catalina/m-p/8298578#M127940 , including some options for running 32-bit games after upgrading to Catalina. 

Message 36 of 102 (4,213 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Does it mean that if I bought the game a while ago, I cannot get an upgrade to the 64-bit version and I need to buy a new one?

Message 37 of 102 (4,190 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @newsweek  -  Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15. EA has not done any 64-bit upgrades, and unfortunately, no 64-bit new ones either. In order to run SimCity, you will need to find a way to use an earlier MacOS, or buy the Aspyr single player version from the App Store.

If you're interested in running your old game, there are some great step-by-step instructions here: https://bluebellflora.com/running-32-bit-apps-after-macos-mojave/

Message 38 of 102 (4,164 Views)

★★ Novice

EA should fix this.

Since Aspyr released a patch to make the game compatible with the 64-bit version of the operating system (Catalina), EA should port the patched version to Origin.

Please, hear us!

Message 39 of 102 (4,082 Views)

Simcity is not working on MacOS Catalina

★★★ Newbie

My iMac is working on MaxOS Catalina, I have downloaded the latest version of Origin.  

The download is completed but when I am trying to install Simcity Game nothing is happening.  

I also tried looking for SimCity in the application file when I click on the icon I got a message saying  SimCity is not updated.  

Please help.  

Message 40 of 102 (4,043 Views)