Re: simcity mac big sur

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Re: SIMCITY will not start

★ Novice

I disabled origin in game and restarted origin. Simcity still does not work. It still says my computer is not compatible with 32Bit game. I don't have a button to start the game anymore. I click on the game photo but nothing happens. I hope you solve this problem soon. It is a shame that I can not play this game anymore.

Message 91 of 102 (2,884 Views)

Re: SIMCITY will not start

Hero (Retired)

Hi @fburcin -  I moved your post to the master thread on this topic. Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15. There is more information in the First Post of this thread, including some options for running 32-bit games after upgrading to Catalina. 

Message 92 of 102 (2,866 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am using a new MacBook Pro with Big Sur and the new M1 chip. I cannot get this game to work and I really want it to. Anyone have any solutions on how to get this to work?

Message 93 of 102 (2,864 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @Lethaldose007 - I moved your post to the master thread on this issue.

Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15, so it will not work on Big Sur either. Check the first post in this thread for some ideas on running 32-bit programs with an upgraded MacOS. Unfortunately, there have been issues reported with Aspyr's app store version on Big Sur as well. If you bought SimCity from the App store, you'll need to contact Aspyr for support.

Message 94 of 102 (2,843 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Aspire updated to 64bit ??? It should be working but mine keeps crashing at startup

Message 95 of 102 (2,760 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @viccan - The 64-bit version from Aspyr works when running Catalina. Unfortunately, there have been issues reported with Aspyr's app store version on Big Sur. If you bought SimCity from the App store, you'll need to contact Aspyr for support and file a ticket there.

Message 96 of 102 (2,686 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm running Big Sur on both my iMac (2017 model) and a MacBook Air with the new M1 chip as well and it's unfortunate I can't play this game, and haven't been able to for awhile. I know many people had issues with the game, but I still enjoyed it. I do have a W10 gaming computer but it's never used and would rather be able to use it on my primary computer(s). 

Message 97 of 102 (2,574 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@BlackjackWidow I would just like to report to you that Aspyr released an update on July 26th that addressed the compatibility issues with the latest MacOSes, and now I can run SimCity perfectly on my MacBook Pro 15" 2017 model running 12.0 Monterey Large smile 

Skjermbilde 2021-08-07 kl. 00.27.37.png

Message 98 of 102 (2,309 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@jbd00 - That is fantastic news, thanks so much for the update. Your city looks great too. Thumbs up

It's been such a roller coaster ride for Mac users over the past few years. 

Message 99 of 102 (2,294 Views)

★★ Novice
@whatsausernamex i started #makesimcity64bitonmac tweets and i hope my spaming will help ^^
Message 100 of 102 (2,207 Views)