Install Incomplete

by Sim-ulatorAndCod

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Install Incomplete

★★★ Newbie

I have The Sim City Box, which is Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition. I put the disk into the disk tray and the setup menu opens up normally, and when I click install the installation starts but always stops at 48.32%. The file it stops on is the Graphics Rules.sgr file. I've tried multiple times to download the game but it always stops on that one file, otherwise the installation is normal.

I bought the game two days ago and I'm trying to install it on a Windows 8 Desktop. I exceed the minimum requirements for the game, and I don't know what else I'm supposes to do.

Message 1 of 9 (8,642 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Install Incomplete

★★★★ Novice

Here's the problem (and fix) I think.

The small window that tells you to "Please insert disk 2" is hidden under the initial window (the one that shows progress). The problem seems to occur because that progess window refreshes itself regularly with a new example picture (from the game) and when doing so it also centers itself in the middle of your screen. The small "Please insert disk 2" window is also in the middle, but now under the other.

Fix: Insert disk 2 and be ready to click on OK in the "Please insert disk 2" window, then move the progress window (grab the top of it) to one side to expose the "Please insert disk 2" and click the OK.

The progerss window should quickly jump to 48.54% (I think that was the %) and continue the install. At install completion the game (on my system) automatically started and appears to be "self" compatable with my W8 at 1024x768.

Hope this helps.

View in thread

Message 5 of 9 (8,910 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue. My download keeps stopping at 30%. The only "solution" I've found on these forums so far was to keep trying, which doesn't help at all. I've been trying for an hour now to no avail.

Message 2 of 9 (8,579 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It doesn't seem as though it's going to work, the disk keeps spinning but it doesn't download beyond that one point. :?

Message 3 of 9 (8,559 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi. I'm on windows 8 and I had the same problem but I executed the program in the compatibility mode (windows XP) and it worked. 

Message 4 of 9 (8,480 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here's the problem (and fix) I think.

The small window that tells you to "Please insert disk 2" is hidden under the initial window (the one that shows progress). The problem seems to occur because that progess window refreshes itself regularly with a new example picture (from the game) and when doing so it also centers itself in the middle of your screen. The small "Please insert disk 2" window is also in the middle, but now under the other.

Fix: Insert disk 2 and be ready to click on OK in the "Please insert disk 2" window, then move the progress window (grab the top of it) to one side to expose the "Please insert disk 2" and click the OK.

The progerss window should quickly jump to 48.54% (I think that was the %) and continue the install. At install completion the game (on my system) automatically started and appears to be "self" compatable with my W8 at 1024x768.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 9 (8,911 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hooray for the internet! Thanks for the fix!

Message 6 of 9 (5,692 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@LDan101 Thank you, This worked in Sept of 2020!
Message 7 of 9 (2,573 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Still works in December 2022, Thanks!

Message 8 of 9 (1,552 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Gee, how time flies.

Message 9 of 9 (1,219 Views)