Mouse control not fit for purpose

by Badmagic-One

Original Post

Re: Mouse control not fit for purpose

★ Apprentice

Developers made a beautiful game but M+K is total crap. Instead of planing your turns and moves u r fighting with your own mouse. And that ruins gameplay. Second thing regarding gameplay is that u dont have good overview of situation ... These dots white and red are so tiny that u dont see where are ships (yours and enemy) . There should be icon of ship class and name of the pilot - always visible not just in the front cone. 

Message 81 of 94 (1,884 Views)

★★★★ Novice

While I agree that the HUD could use some work, change requests for that should be a separate thread. Let's keep this thread focused on the complete lack of support and keybinding options for keyboard/mouse pilots. 

Message 82 of 94 (1,846 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey, Just wanted to let you know I went to the official Discord to find some answers.

i've never seen a company disable key binding on mouse and keyboard as a solution to balance competitive play?

Developers nerfed mouse and keyboard controls, disabled the yaw keybind, etc as a way to balance the playing field for controller users. This has now been confirmed to me. They wanted controller to be the superior method for playing this specific game so they neutered the mouse inputs as a way for balance.

I personally think this was a terrible decision because now you have a ton of people that bought the game for pc that are stuck with a drunken wobble to their controls. But the game is designed to not be on a mouse and keyboard at all. I really wish they had a warning before i got the game as i am just over the 2 hour mark for a steam refund.

Message 83 of 94 (1,799 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So they handicapped keyboard/mouse users so that joystick and gamepad users can feel superior.

Agreed, that was a terrible decision, but they should at least acknowledge it here rather than give false hope by telling us they are "looking into it". HOTAS can be fun, but keyboard/mouse are superior controls and we shouldn't be penalized for that choice.

It's unfortunate that so many people invested in this game and are unable to get a refund, myself included. 

Message 84 of 94 (1,749 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I bought this game because I liked mouse settings and movement in star wars battlefront 2. But this, this is unplayable. Than i borrowed Logitech Rumble gamepad from friend. And guess what. left stick sensitivity bug. Literally spent 3 hrs trying to setup gamepad.  I dont believe how they manage to screw this beautiful game with f* controls.

However I didnt like arcadish gameplay in STB2. I understand developers if they wanted more simulation like gameplay. But u dont do that by f* the controls up, u can double or triple health points of ships to avoid fast dying.

Message 85 of 94 (1,689 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I waited for EA to patch this, still hasn't been patched.

• Which flight games have you played with mouse/keyboard?  Many more than I can remember: Elite Dangerous, War Thunder, various MS flight sims, Take On Helicopters, Rise of Flight, Arma 2, IL-2 Sturmovik, Overload, SW X-Wing; SW Tie Fighter, Privateer, etc
  • What is your preferred mouse control method in other flight games (e.g virtual stick, virtual stick with automatic reset to center, etc.)? Virtual stick 1st person
  • What are your mouse DPI settings in squadrons?  N/A
  • Are you playing with any other special hardware? No
  • What are your sensitivity and mouse screen range settings in squadrons? N/A
  • Are you having any issues with the current mouse controls? If so, what are the issues? Yes - Yaw locked to mouse X axis against all reason.  NO flight sim pairs Yaw with Pitch.  Absolutely unplayable for me, I have 25 years of playing flight sims with Pitch and Roll as mouse Y and X axis, who thought this would be a good idea?
  • Are you specifically having any issues with mouse sensitivity or deadzone? No.

There's mention of the locked axis being implemented as a 'balance' mechanic, if that's true, it's the most senseless broken mechanic I've ever encountered bar none.  All I want the game for is the single player missions anyway, so why a "balancing mechanic" would be applied to single player missions I don't know.  Absolutely unplayable, I've submitted it back for a refund, I'll rebuy it if EA ever gets their heads into gear and fixes this travesty of M-KB control.

Message 86 of 94 (1,648 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have a brand new gaming pc and was excited to try this. I loved the original X-wing back in 90's and the later follow ups, and I was looking forward to getting an awesome looking Star Wars flight game. Oh dear. Massive disappointment. As others have said the mouse x-axis is binded completely wrong - roll please.  I would also naturally invert the y axis, so pulling down on the right hand raises the "nose" of the craft. The game allows for this but something very weird goes on visually, I haven't worked out what, so that it feel very  very odd to the point where I keep going in to check and re-toggle the option.  In "regular" mode it looks right but feels backwards, in invert mode it feels right but something looks odd....is it the cursors?

The follow cursor mechanic is very odd, makes the game a generally frustrating time of swaying around and there is such a delay in moving the mouse before the ship moves that I think it hasn't picked it up so I move some more  then chaos.  

In the first Star Wars film, when Vader is chasing Luke in the Death Star trenches and spins off into space...it wasn't the Falcon....he just switched to mouse control.

I'm not interested in online multiplayer. I don't have time to play countless hours to be able to compete with those that do nothing but...  I have paid a sizeable amount of money for escapism and to be entertained and to have fun. So far, I have nothing but frustration and disappointment and feels like I have spent more time in options screens trying to make the thing playable than actually playing.

(On top of that, when trying VR mode all I get is the audio in my headset and no visuals...double disappointment).

update: I have been trying really hard today to get into it on practice mode.  At first, playing the game like you are in a fixed turret and moving the world around you sort of feels like it makes sense ish for a bit....but not much.  The controls do feel like they moving the world round the player rather than the player in the world. Turning the mouse DPI down to lowest really helps,  with mouse sensitivity at 10% and mouse screen motion range at 100%.  However, the roll-yaw problem is maddening and the fact that when in inverse flight mode (push up to nose down) the cursor is not inverted (cursor goes up, ship goes down) is poor.  The trouble with turning all the sensitivity down to steer the ship means it's a * to adjust quick to target a moving fighter.  If the mouse X roll thing and the silly opposite cursor thing was sorted it would be usable.

I plugged in a joystick and left and right rolled....oooh I thought I'll use that instead of the mouse but then up and down was speed ... Plugged in another joystick... It was detected as the same as the first...both joysticks detected as controller A...argh. However, you can remap the controls on the joystick so I now have pitch and roll in the right hand and controls on keyboard on the left. So far feels much better...but I can't do anything than up on the joystick when a key is pressed....erm....

Message 87 of 94 (1,608 Views)

★★★ Newbie

After months of waiting, i've gone through Steam to file a formal complaint and refund.

I thought I would give EA another chance but this experience seals the deal.  Lost a customer for life and you better believe I will make sure all of my gaming friends know what I think of EA products and customer service.  I'll also provide a negative feedback on the Steam Store page with details laying out how Customer service ignored the user community and provided false hope of a patch, trying to bait people into waiting until after the refund request period to say, "its intended that way to balance with cross platform play"

EA = crooks.

Message 88 of 94 (1,484 Views)

★★★ Novice
@v3r7 nope lol they don't care. Why I and most people I know bought it, regretted it, then played a different flight game. Too bad
Message 89 of 94 (1,381 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Beeing new to this game.

The controls just feel weird. It is soo difficult to aim and aquire targets, even in campaign mode.

Played a few missons but had to give up was really frustating. So game is shelved, will revisit in a couple of months to see if it has changed.

Beautiful game though.

Hope you find a proper solution.

PS

Fix the cursor to the mouse could be an improvement.

Alternative make a trainer focusing on M+K controls adjusting controls as you go along.

Regards

Message 90 of 94 (1,117 Views)