Mouse control not fit for purpose

by Badmagic-One

Original Post

Re: Mouse control not fit for purpose

★★ Apprentice

Mouse flight is simply not a stable system.  When I am flying at a target and make a small correction, I find myself then having to correct and overcorrect until I'm simply waving back and forth.  While this may be due to a number of factors, I'm guessing the main problem with the mouse is the deadzone.  It's difficult to then find the exact center to stay on a target.  Pressing the X button every time you want to fly straight isn't a good method.

Perhaps I need more time to get used to the flight, but I've spent 8 hours in the game trying it and it doesn't work for me.  I've now given up on it and wish I could get a refund.  Unless mouse flight changes, this game is simply not worth my time.  That says something because the theme for Squadrons was right up my alley.  I guess the benefit is that it makes me want to break out Tie Fighter again and have some fun.  Even moving my mouse across my desk over and over is better than the controls in Squadrons.

Message 31 of 94 (3,379 Views)

★★ Apprentice

dear EA_Tom

• Which flight games have you played with mouse/keyboard?
  • What is your preferred mouse control method in other flight games (e.g virtual stick, virtual stick with automatic reset to center, etc.)? Do you play first or third person with that scheme?
  • What are your mouse DPI settings in squadrons?
  • Are you playing with any other special hardware? (VR, ultra widescreen, multiple monitors, etc.)
  • What are your sensitivity and mouse screen range settings in squadrons?
  • Are you having any issues with the current mouse controls? If so, what are the issues?
  • Are you specifically having any issues with mouse sensitivity or deadzone?

1:war thunder , its f2p,and definatly the top notch of flight game with mouse controlls here is a good example vid from mouse steering, starts at 6:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FIONDpQbHs   as u can see there, the crossair is just for orientation, that u have a point where your shots would end up when u start shooting

u can play it as flight stick, normal mouse controll ( where the plane is not following any dot/curser or arrow ) and it is with a "reset" when u stop moving the mouse.

its like this : hen i want to fly up, i have the crosshair. so the crossair goes up at the same time the plane goes up. but the plane is not following the crosshair, its following the mouse.its like keyboard input with a reset when u stop pressing a key.it instantly stops .u can play in cockpit mode, and 3rd person, while 3rd person is definatly more usefull and helpfull because u can see more.aditionaly u have a mouse view, ex: if u press c u can scroll arround with mouse, to view arround your plane, untill u stop pressing c

at the contig u can change basicaly every part of the setting in case about axis, how soft, fast,slow,wide u have to sroll to move the plane.it has a dead zone u can adjust like u want.

u have to test this game , to see by yourself  what mouse aiming is in this game, its hard to explain.

3:i change the DPI settings on my mouse via button from the lowest 250 up to 10000 as i need it, and as i can play with it. i also can adjust it in 50dpi steps.

4: as for other hardware, no, nothing spezial on my side

5: atm i have 0% sensi, and 100% screen range, to get a slower more smooth and easier to center steering.

i tryed it for days with different  settings like 50% sens, and 50 screen range and higher.

screen range to leww = the ship is uncrontroll able, and wobbling like hell cant even hit capital with this settings, even with  the lowest DPS settings on my side than.

if the sens is to high its the same.i turn with the ship, and are not able to center it anymore, because its wobbling like hell, even if i take my hand of the mouse.

the fact that the ship is following a dot, and overshot the dot before it centers ( even with pressing the center button ) makes it unplayable

the issues are not the sens or dadzone. its the fact the mopuse steering is like controllinng a ship on the ocean.....u turn left.. it turns left . and wont stop turn left, unless u turn to the opposide direction.and it wont center if u take your hands of the ruder  at all.....

the best way to undertsand it is by watching the vid, and trying to play WT with mouse by yourself u will be suprised what is possible with mouse^^ thats a promiss

Message 32 of 94 (3,372 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
  • Which flight games have you played with mouse/keyboard?

Best examples would be war thunder, elite and battlefield in my opinion. All these have yaw on A/D and roll on the mouse, which feels natural.

• What is your preferred mouse control method in other flight games (e.g virtual stick, virtual stick with automatic reset to center, etc.)? Do you play first or third person with that scheme?

Not sure how to explain this, but some sort of direct input (not following a cursor)

• What are your mouse DPI settings in squadrons?

Default, haven't been able to play the game since i bought it because of missing ability to change mouse to roll and keyboard to yaw.

• Are you playing with any other special hardware? (VR, ultra widescreen, multiple monitors, etc.)

No, were considering buying VR for this game, might get it when we are allowed to rebind roll / yaw

• What are your sensitivity and mouse screen range settings in squadrons?

Didn't start to customize this because of the missing roll / yaw rebind option

• Are you having any issues with the current mouse controls? If so, what are the issues?

Missing roll / yaw rebind!

• Are you specifically having any issues with mouse sensitivity or deadzone?

No, but I'm missing roll / yaw rebind!

I really had to constraint my self not to jump on the refund wagon. I so so so want to play this game, but as you may have guessed, I am kind of missing the ability to rebind roll and yaw.

Message 33 of 94 (3,369 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Straatford87 I'll try to answer your questions as a casual player who just wants to have fun with the game. Why is mouse not a direct input control similar to every other input like controller and joystick? The addition of a cursor to lead everything on a delay is the main problem for me. I have not played other flight games and I suspect other players with these complaints are in the same boat. We just want to be able to point straight. To answer your questions (skipped Q's related to other flight games):

What are your mouse DPI settings in squadrons? My normal mouse DPI is the same as every other game I play. I usually don't mess with the mouse settings.

Are you playing with any other special hardware? (VR, ultra widescreen, multiple monitors, etc.) - No

What are your sensitivity and mouse screen range settings in squadrons? Sensitivity set to very low (5 or 6) and range set very high (70 or 80) which has marginally helped from the first time I played. I still jump all over the place when trying to fly straight after a turn.

Are you having any issues with the current mouse controls? If so, what are the issues? -No direct input. Why is there no direct input? The leading cursor system is only for mouse, correct? Every other input such as controller, HOTAS, or joystick is direct. There is no reason for the leading cursor and all the sensitivity issues associated with it. At least give us an option for direct input.

Are you specifically having any issues with mouse sensitivity or deadzone? Sensitivity, even when set to one of the lowest available values, still causes me to jump wildly across the screen when I'm trying to fire directly ahead. I'm not familiar with the deadzone concept. I'm just a casual gamer trying to have fun and I can't fly straight with a mouse.
Message 34 of 94 (3,360 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

• Which flight games have you played with mouse/keyboard? With this rig - SWBF2. With other rigs - numerous, including X-Wing! Standard smile
  • What is your preferred mouse control method in other flight games (e.g virtual stick, virtual stick with automatic reset to center, etc.)? Do you play first or third person with that scheme? virtual stick, 3rd person
  • What are your mouse DPI settings in squadrons? best response at 800 DPI. However, I'd like to be able to use my default setting of 2400.
  • Are you playing with any other special hardware? (VR, ultra widescreen, multiple monitors, etc.) No
  • What are your sensitivity and mouse screen range settings in squadrons? 34%, 40%
  • Are you having any issues with the current mouse controls? If so, what are the issues? Hard to steady ship - too much movement.
  • Are you specifically having any issues with mouse sensitivity or deadzone? Not really sure. Main issue noted above.

It may be worth also asking if people have mouse customization software. That may be impacting gameplay. I use Logitech G-Hub to configure the mouse, but I close it after it loads the config into the mouse.

If a post helps, please click the XP button, so the poster learns what is helping.

If a post answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so others can quickly find what worked.
Message 35 of 94 (3,340 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
  • Battlefront 2 (2005), Battlefront II (2017), a bit of Battlefield 4 and of Rogue Squadron but I didn't liked the handling in those games.
  • I'm probably not qualified to answer this considering my flight experience. I like how those games fly because of how responsive the commands are, it shoots like a fps the bullets gose where I aim. I know though they are very arcade games and we probably won't see the same in this game.
  • 800 DPI
  • Double screen but the game is only displayed on the first screen in full screen, 144Hz, Vsync off
  • Sensitivity 10%, Range 50%
  • Yes, I tend to overshoot because it's hard to have the ship fly in a straight line so I have to pull back the other way and try to get the ship to fly straight once more, that can get really bad against someone using their y axis when flying on top of their x axis.
  • So I guess it is a problem of deadzone being way too small.

The game really needs a deadzone size slider in the options. A welcomed addition for some I think would be a turn rate acceleration slider in the options I think too (acting like mouse acceleration but for turn rate).

I would like a crosshair colour option, playing all my games with a green one makes it hard to see it sometimes in this game when you have grey ships all over the place with a white crosshair.

Also if the control were to change entirely (which would surprise me but we never know) it would be welcomed to still have the older controls in the options, some might prefer it.

Message 36 of 94 (3,325 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

The way it worked with Starfighter Assault in BF2 2017 was perfect. You could keep the crosshair aimed at your target with relative ease. In this game, it's almost impossible. You try to aim at something and always overcorrect, so you move back the other way to counter it and overcorrect again, so you're just swinging back and forth while trying to aim at your target.

Message 37 of 94 (3,292 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@DarkLord1984_YT wrote:

You try to aim at something and always overcorrect, so you move back the other way to counter it and overcorrect again, so you're just swinging back and forth while trying to aim at your target.

This is an excellent description of the issue I have.

If a post helps, please click the XP button, so the poster learns what is helping.

If a post answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so others can quickly find what worked.
Message 38 of 94 (3,282 Views)

★★★★ Novice

1. I'm playing with mouse/keyboard the following flight games: Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, War Thunder, World of Warplanes, Flight Simulator 2020, Everspace 2 (Beta)

2. Depends on the game (This is why mouse/keyboard control remapping is extremely important)

3. Squadrons Defaults

4. No

5. Squadrons Defaults

6. Yes, Cannot remap mouse/keyboard control axis (Default is Pitch/Yaw (completely unrealistic and unnatural))

7. No

As an Aircraft Mechanic I can tell you that any aircraft's flight control system is configured as pitch/roll on cyclic and yaw movements are in pedals (even for the Space Shuttle)

Message 39 of 94 (3,258 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I have nearly 2000 hours in Star Wars Battlefront 2, most in Starfighter Assault. I use the default flight control mapping there, and the default in Squadrons. Playing Starfighter Assault with mouse and keyboard is by far the most time I have in any flight sim. In currently have 24 hours played in Squadrons. I completed the campaign, and have done nearly all my multiplayer in dogfight.

I play with 1000 dpi set on my mouse. In Squadrons, sensitivity = 34% and screen motion range = 58% (default I think?). I tried tweaking these a bit but ended up back at default. The thing is I still want sensitivity and responsiveness, so I don't want to turn that down. It's just that I overcorrect too often.

My experience in Squadrons is constant overcorrection and oscillation when trying to track and shoot another ship.

It's weird. I just did a side to side comparison b/w Starfighter Assault and Squadrons, flying in one game and then the other, and I still can't nail the difference in finding center. The biggest thing is of course that in Squadrons you shoot where your ship points, where in SFA you shoot where the cursor is. So this makes it easier to track in in SFA. I understand and accept this design decision in Squadrons. I just have trouble stopping my turns. There actually seems to be a decently sized deadzone (or nearly deadzone when the cursor is near the center) in Squadrons. When I just fly in practice mode there I can fly pretty well. But adding ships to shoot at throws me off. Lining up to track the moving ship is where I overcorrect and too often oscillate back and forth.

Message 40 of 94 (3,222 Views)