Large, unchangeable deadzone when using HOTAS, in-game options do NOT change it.

by Kellar21

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Large, unchangeable deadzone when using HOTAS, in-game options do NOT change it.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: Star Wars: Squadrons
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Kellar21
Are you playing in VR? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Prologue
What were you doing when the bug occurred? Step by Step detail is helpful. Flying in the first mission
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. First mission.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 02.10.2020
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Can play, but it's highly frustrating
What happens when the bug occurs? There's a ~20% deadzone on the X and Y axis on the joystick(HOTAS X52Pro) , no matter what configuration is done on the game options menu.
What do you expect to see? The Ship to answer properly to HOTAS input.
Which ship were you playing? If not applicable, just answer "no" or "none." no
What components were you using? Standard
Which customizations (if any) were you using? Standard

Product: Star Wars: Squadrons
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Kellar21
Are you playing in VR? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Prologue
What were you doing when the bug occurred? Step by Step detail is helpful. Flying in the first mission
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. First mission.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 02.10.2020
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Can play, but it's highly frustrating
What happens when the bug occurs? There's a ~20% deadzone on the X and Y axis on the joystick(HOTAS X52Pro) , no matter what configuration is done on the game options menu.
What do you expect to see? The Ship to answer properly to HOTAS input.
Which ship were you playing? If not applicable, just answer "no" or "none." no
What components were you using? Standard
Which customizations (if any) were you using? Standard

No matter what option I use, there's a large(20%+) deadzone on X and Y axis on the joystick, making gameplay extremely frustrating and it becomes almost impossible to do any fine control during flight.

Apparently, this can be changed on the GstInput.DeadzoneFloor value in the ProfileOptions config file, but it resets after each mission anyway.

EDIT: Workaround: Used VJOY and Joystick Gremlin to reassign X-axis and Y-axis to X-Rotary and Y-Rotary and doing the proper reassingnments on the options menu(selecting VJOY as controller 1) there's NO deadzone I could observe with these axis, I upped sensitivity to 100% to improve response. I did the first mission and the beginning of the second and it seemed to work Ok.

Message 5 of 138 (25,510 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Large, unchangeable deadzone when using HOTAS, in-game options do NOT change

EA DICE Team

Hi Pilots,

Thanks again for flagging this issue to us. With Update 1.1, we've added the following fix for the HOTAS deadzone:

• Added options in the menu called “Controller Global Deadzone" and "Flight Stick Global Deadzone” which will allow you to modify the deadzone individually for standard controllers and Flight Sticks

View in thread

Message 130 of 138 (11,851 Views)

All Replies

Joysticks built-in deadzone is a joke

★★★ Newbie

Why these horrendous built-in deadzones??? Here how it looks with deadzones turned to 0 in game:

https://youtu.be/XKDsMMh7IGQ

Message 1 of 138 (25,567 Views)

Re: Joysticks built-in deadzone is a joke

★★★★★ Newbie

Agreed, great game all around so far, but this issue confused me quite a bit. what is the point of having a deadzone slider setting if the minimum is already several times more than what i normally use?

Message 2 of 138 (25,534 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Infinitely more than the zero I normally use.

Message 3 of 138 (25,525 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

The deadzone is specifically on the X and Y axis.  Most people are working around this issue by using their joystick software (or Joystick Gremlin) to swap the joystick's X / Y axis to a different set of axis.  I chose rot-X and rot-Y and confirmed the deadzone is gone.

Message 4 of 138 (25,486 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same issue on a T16000 . Makes it virtually unplayable with a HOTAS.

Message 6 of 138 (25,448 Views)

Re: Large, unchangeable deadzone when using HOTAS, in-game options do NOT change

★★★★ Novice
Same here with Speedlink Black Widow
Message 7 of 138 (25,292 Views)

★★ Novice

Same issue on the x52. Doesn't feel good at all to play with a hotas.

Message 8 of 138 (25,220 Views)

★★★★ Novice

got the same issue, also using an x52 pro, you would think someone would have tested these since they said hotas is supported

Message 9 of 138 (25,190 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same issue with Thrustmaster HOTAS X!

Message 10 of 138 (25,167 Views)