Re: Game crashes after some time with an "Out of video memory" message

by UAndreyUA

Original Post

Game crashes after some time with an "Out of video memory" message

★★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug Game randomly crashes after 1-2 hours of play with an "Out of video memory" message.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It's difficult to say. Just play the game for a long time I guess. It happens on all planets in different places.
What happens when the bug occurs? A message box with "Out of video memory" message pops up and game closes after hitting ok.
What do you expect to see? Game doesn't crash when playing it for long time.

My specs: I9-9900KF, 16GB ram, RTX2080 SUPER 8GB, over 500GB free disk space, two FullHD monitor setup, Windows 10 1909 updated and latest available graphics drivers (442.19).

Game settings: all epic, borderless window, all effects on

Game runs smoothly at constant 60FPS. After some time (varies, but around 1-2h) the message show up and game closes. It doesn't happen in one particular spot or when I do some specific action, but it happens every time I play. I restart the game and the same thing happens again.

I have task manager opened on another monitor while I play and I can see vram usage starting at around 0.5GB before I start the game. Then it goes to around 3.7GB after landing on a planet and slowly rises over about 30 minutes or so. After that it stays in the 4.5 - 6 range going up and down, so there's still plenty vram left. At some point (totally random) I see a sudden spike and the error appears. It's difficult to say how big the spike is because task manager is not that precise and the value on the graph varies across different crashes, but it's something well above 7GB.

Message 1 of 4 (2,545 Views)

Community Manager

@chrisaverage 

VRAM usage is determined by your graphics settings and it is possible to get this error if your settings are too high.

Reduce your in-game graphics quality settings to reduce VRAM usage and likely prevent this error.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 4 (2,514 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Barry Thanks. I know I can lower the settings. That's not the point. The game runs smooth and well under limits for a long time and then it momentarily spikes. I'm saying there seems to be something wrong with that spike out of nowhere.
Message 3 of 4 (2,497 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello! Many players face this memory failure error! At all times, the game runs very smoothly at maximum settings, there is always enough free graphics memory! I have the same problem. I5 9600k processor, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2060 Super. I have a stable 70-75 fps in Full HD. Your advice is absolutely not copious, with the same success you can advise me to delete the game altogether! I'm sure the problem is something else!

Message 4 of 4 (1,545 Views)