★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars: Squadrons
Platform:Steam-PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? EA: ZergPlowg Steam: zergdeplowg2
Are you playing in VR? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Other
Please explain 'Other' Trying to connect to a server with brothers
What were you doing when the bug occurred? Step by Step detail is helpful. When trying to play in a squad with my brothers who live in the same house.
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. After matchmaking when trying to connect to the server.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 10/03/2020 7:00 pm PT
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Can't play
What happens when the bug occurs? One or two of us can connect to the server the rest get the error 216 message.
What do you expect to see? We should all be able to play together since this is supposed to be a squad game.
Which ship were you playing? If not applicable, just answer "no" or "none." none
What components were you using? none
Which customizations (if any) were you using? none

This bug is a huge problem, since 90% of the reason we got the game is we want to play together. Also when we are trying to sort it out and one of us disconnects from the server they end up getting penalized for leaving and end up having non priority matchmaking which is unfair since it was caused by a bug.

Message 2 of 11 (10,380 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Error code 216

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

EDIT - SOLVED ISSUE

This is not a problem with the game but steam, follow the steps below to fix the problem in Steam.

Specifying a Clientport as a Launch Option

To specify a client port, please perform the following steps for each computer on the LAN

Go to Steam's My games menu
Right-click on the game you wish to play
Go to Properties
From the General tab, click on the Set launch options button
Add a different client port number on each machine between 27005 and 27032 in the following format:
+clientport 270XX
Note: Do not use 27020
Click OK

NOTE: This solution only works if you launch the game through the My games menu.

If you have already set other launch options, leave a space between the last character of your previous launch option and the + of your clientport setting.

Following these steps allowed us to play together no issues at all.

/EDIT

Same issue, trying to play on PC with my wife in the same house, wired connections to a single router.

We've been able to get in 3 matches together but one or both of us will disconnect with error 216 on the majority of matches we try to join.  It's not consistent on who disconnects, doesn't seem to matter who is leader of the party.

We don't have any issue joining games solo and when I tried to join her game when there was an open spot, she was immediately disconnected.

View in thread

Message 3 of 11 (10,356 Views)

All Replies

Error 216 unable to connect

★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars: Squadrons
Platform:Steam-PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? OsoGrizz
Are you playing in VR? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Fleet Battles
What were you doing when the bug occurred? Step by Step detail is helpful. selecting Fleet battles co-op
Where did this issue occur? Please include menu name or in game location. Play menu > selecting Fleet Battles
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 02 - 03/10/2020 all day
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Can't play
What happens when the bug occurs? Fleet battles begins loading. Sometimes I can hear other players and then I get an error: unable to connect or error 216
What do you expect to see? I expect to load into the fleet battles play mode
Which ship were you playing? If not applicable, just answer "no" or "none." TIE Interceptor, Fighter, Bomber, A-wing, X-wing
What components were you using? default
Which customizations (if any) were you using? none

Whenever I try to enter coop Fleet Battles I get the error: unable to connect or error 216 unable to connect

Message 1 of 11 (10,278 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

EDIT - SOLVED ISSUE

This is not a problem with the game but steam, follow the steps below to fix the problem in Steam.

To specify a client port, please perform the following steps for each computer on the LAN

Go to Properties
Add a different client port number on each machine between 27005 and 27032 in the following format:
+clientport 270XX
Click OK

NOTE: This solution only works if you launch the game through the My games menu.

If you have already set other launch options, leave a space between the last character of your previous launch option and the + of your clientport setting.

Following these steps allowed us to play together no issues at all.

/EDIT

Same issue, trying to play on PC with my wife in the same house, wired connections to a single router.

We've been able to get in 3 matches together but one or both of us will disconnect with error 216 on the majority of matches we try to join.  It's not consistent on who disconnects, doesn't seem to matter who is leader of the party.

We don't have any issue joining games solo and when I tried to join her game when there was an open spot, she was immediately disconnected.

Message 3 of 11 (10,357 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@Noduic wrote:

EDIT - SOLVED ISSUE

Go to Properties
+clientport 270XX
Click OK

This worked for a while then suddenly stopped working again. 

Message 4 of 11 (10,268 Views)

★★ Novice

Hmm, we haven't had any more 216 errors all day, only thing I can think of is making sure everyone is launching from the main steam window and not right clicking on steam in the taskbar to launch.  I think it doesn't run the launch scripts if you run the game from outside the steam interface.

This is a problem with several other games in steam and this was a solution for those as well.  If nothing else works, try having everyone restarting their computer?

Message 5 of 11 (10,261 Views)

★★ Novice

What seems to be working for now is actually going into the game directory, making a shortcut for starwarssquadrons_launcher.exe, adding the +clientport 270XX to that and using the shortcut to start the game. Seems steam isn't consistent on weather or not it will use the launch options. 

Message 6 of 11 (10,194 Views)

★★ Novice

Good to know that works and I'll do that method if steam starts being inconsistent with us.

Message 7 of 11 (10,184 Views)

Error Code 216 after playing one game

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

I am on PC, Stream version, wired connection.

Error Code 216 has been stopping me from playing 2 matches in a row since the game released. After starting up the game, I can play an online match perfectly fine. But after that one match, I cannot find another match without receiving this error code, 216. This isn't horrible, but very frustrating as I really don't want to have to reboot my game after every match. This is especially frustrating when trying to play with a friend, as they will have no problem getting into the match, but I will not be able to get in, leaving us separated. I have tried moving the game to my SSD, taking one suggestion from online and changing the client port through Steam (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Error-code-216/td-p/9546542) but that has not worked. Unlike a few of the people that I have seen with this error, I am not trying to play with someone on my network. I do live in an apartment, but each apartment has their own internet, so I feel like that shouldn't be a problem. Just really trying to figure out what my issue is because no other online game I play has had this problem ever.

So very weirdly, I think I have fixed the problem for now. All I did was switch my Ethernet cord from one port on my router to another, and since then I have no encountered error code 216. Idk I'm expecting it to die out on me again, but for now it works

Edit 2: Yup, happened again just like I thought. But this time I'm not even getting an error message. Just disconnecting from the servers and that's it. Great time I've had with this game so far. Standard smile

Message 8 of 11 (9,963 Views)

★★ Novice

This hasn't worked for me. I still need to close the game after every match then re-open the game if I want to play online. SWBFII does the exact same thing for me. And this is the only steam game that does this to me.  I'm still leaning towards this being on EA.

Message 9 of 11 (10,066 Views)

Re: Error Code 216 after playing one game

★★★ Novice
@JaggedToaster16 going to try this there are alot of us with this problem last time all i did to fix it is lower volumetrics setting but thats not working since latest patch.
Message 10 of 11 (9,886 Views)