Re: Problem logging into Origin from Xbox One as a minor

by picklebird_101

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Problem logging into Origin from Xbox One as a minor

★★★★ Novice

We just purchase Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare for the Xbox One from a local retailer today.  We have an existing Origin account that is properly linked with the primary Xbox One Gamer Tag.  When we first started the game using any of the adult profiles of the game asked us to accept the Terms of Service which we did by checking the appropriate box and then clicked next.  On the next screen we were asked to provide our Origin login information in the form of "Email Address/Password".  Once this information is entered, the game started properly.  Subsequent restarts of the game skipped all these steps and the game starts up without having to re-enter the Origin Account information. 

The problem is with our childs account.  When the game is started with the child Xbox One profile, it correctly recognizes the profile as a minor.  We know this because the page that asks the user to accept the Terms of Service has different text that starts of with "Please ask a parent or Guardian to review these documents with you...".   After checking the box to accept the TOS and clicking Next,   We are presented with the Origin Account page where you can either "Login" or "Create".  After choosing "Login" we are presented with a page that asks for the Origin login information in the form of "Origin ID/ Password".  Upon entering the Origin ID and password associated with the same account, we get the error "Unable to Login: We cannot complete this action at this time.  If you need assistance, please reference help.ea.com or answers.ea.com".

After spending a considerable amount of time using the EA's Live Chat and talking with Microsoft directly, I find myself here looking for resolution.  During the chats / phone conversations, we covered changing age restrictions on content/games from the Xbox side with no success.  Our child's true age is appropriate for this game. We have been offered a number of work arounds (e.g. creating an adult account profile for our child) but all of these are less than optimal approaches to solving a problem that appears to be an application bug.   

I understand the developers read these forums, I'm looking for some kind of resolution to this issue so that my child can play this game.  I can only imagine that others have had a similar issue.

Message 1 of 24 (24,318 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Guide

Sorry, this is an apperent issue with Origin rather than a game issue.  You might need to contact customer support or EA's twitter as that usually gets customer service responses.  In the meantime I will attempt to see if I can find a solution

View in thread

Message 2 of 24 (28,146 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

Sorry, this is an apperent issue with Origin rather than a game issue.  You might need to contact customer support or EA's twitter as that usually gets customer service responses.  In the meantime I will attempt to see if I can find a solution

Message 2 of 24 (28,147 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Update.  I was able to reach Origin by phone and spoke with a very helpful tech named Joe.  Joe was able to provide a fix for the issue by creating the registration of our child's gamer tag to the Origin account using the Origin software installed on a PC.  From within Origin he had us open the Friends List and click the Add a Friend button.  Then he had us click the Connect button next to the Xbox Live option.  At the Microsoft sign in page we were instructed to enter our child's account xbox account login credentials (email address/ password).  After clicking the Sign In button we were presented with an error and instructed to just close the page.  We then returned to the Origin application and were instructed to view the Account & Privacy settings where low and behold our childs account was now linked.

After starting the game with our childs account we initially received an error.  But we successfully logging in with again an adult profile, then retried the child profile and the game started just fine.  We are happy to have this resolved.

Message 3 of 24 (24,082 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Oh good!  Glad that worked

Message 4 of 24 (24,078 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for the information - this was exactly what we needed to solve the same issue.

Thanks again for posting the solution.

Message 5 of 24 (24,032 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried talkign to Origin support and got nowhere. Can I do this myself in Origin? I made my kids my friends in Origin but there is no connect button next to the Xbox live option. 

Message 6 of 24 (23,999 Views)

★★★★ Novice

You can definitely do this on your own.  You just need the Origin software installed on a Mac or PC.  The description above was done on a PC.

Message 7 of 24 (23,969 Views)

★★★ Novice

This didn't work for me.  I gave up and just set the account to an "adult" account in the Xbox One settings.  A lot of good these extra security features do if they only way to get the games to function properly is to turn them off.

I'm still trying to figure out who's bright idea it was to require an Origins account on top of an Xbox Live account in the first place.  This has been an unnecessary, frustrating hassle and really gives me a negative attitue toward EA.

Confusedmileysad:

Message 8 of 24 (23,796 Views)

★★ Novice
Just wasted 3 hours of my life trying to fix this problem for my nephew. Now dislike xbox, ea and plantsvszombies enough to know they will never be brought in my house. What a rubbish experience.
Message 9 of 24 (22,037 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This solution worked for me as well, thanks!

Message 10 of 24 (21,998 Views)