Re: Plants vs Zombies on Steam won't load - PC - error: Unable to load Steam.dll

by DumbelBiee

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Plants vs Zombies on Steam won't load - PC - error: Unable to load Steam.dll

★ Novice

Clicking on plants and Zombies I'm getting error message "Unable to load Steam.dll".

Any ideas?

Thanks!

GG

Message 1 of 9 (4,134 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Plants vs Zombies on Steam won't load - PC - error: Unable to load Steam.dll

Community Manager
@DumbelBiee You should have a Steam.dll file on your main steam installation folder (will be located where you decided to install steam) can you copy (not cut) the file into the PvZ install folder > restart steam and try to launch the game?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (3,264 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @georgegilc782 If you are still having this issue can you try Verifying the game files and seeing if this issue persists. 

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 9 (3,993 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issue here, I tried to verify integrity of the game files but to no succes

Message 3 of 9 (3,459 Views)

Community Manager
@XxEpicGam3RXx apologies for the delayed communication, to confirm do you have a steam.dll file in your PvZ folder?

Illium.png

Message 4 of 9 (3,381 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey, I have the same issue and I checked that I have the file, is it steam_avi.dll ? if not the nhow can I fix it?

Message 5 of 9 (3,343 Views)

Community Manager
@DumbelBiee You should have a Steam.dll file on your main steam installation folder (will be located where you decided to install steam) can you copy (not cut) the file into the PvZ install folder > restart steam and try to launch the game?

Illium.png

Message 6 of 9 (3,265 Views)

Community Manager
@DumbelBiee Wanted to see if you have been able to try the step above?

Illium.png

Message 7 of 9 (3,232 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same issue.  I have tried pasting a copy of the Steam.DLL file into the PVZ game folder and veryfying the game files.  I then get about 20 windows opening all at once saying Fatal Error.

This game will just not load.

Frown

Message 8 of 9 (1,810 Views)

★★★ Novice

Encountered this as well. Currently have been playing under Windows 11 in Parallels on macOS Sonoma. macOS version is 32-bit and won't launch, PC version launches with this error immediately.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the game, restarted virtual machine and physical machine multiple times with no change in behavior. Validated install files: "All 64 files successfully validated". And copied the steam.dll file to the Plants vs Zombies folder outlined in previous posts. Still wouldn't launch.

Uninstalled Steam and re-installed Steam. Logged in, reinstalled PvZ. Same error. Copied over the steam.dll file after this happened again. This time, no error, system becomes unresponsive. Restarted virtual machine. This time launched from the icon on desktop. Blank black screen and system is mostly unresponsive. Quit from task manager. 

Opened Steam>Library>Plants vs Zombies>Manage>Browse local files. Ran the .exe as admin: mouse cursor loads, no blank screen and difficult to force close. Restarted virtual machine and tried steps again: same results.

Here's what I had to do to get it up and going:

1) Install latest version of steam and install and verify PVC from game library

2) As previously mentioned, in File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and copy the steam.dll file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Plants Vs Zombies

3) In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Plants Vs Zombies right-click on the .exe file and select 'Properties'

4) In the Properties window, select 'Compatibility'

5) Setup the window as shown here:

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 10.57.56 AM.png

6) When clicking 'Change high DPI settings', configure settings to match this image:

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 10.59.59 AM.png

7) Click 'OK' in the HiDPI window and then, if needed/present, click the 'ARM emulation settings' button and configure as pictured:

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 10.58.10 AM.png

8) Click 'OK' in the 'ARM emulation settings' button if needed and then click 'Apply' in the main 'Properties' window.

9) Launch the game. It will likely launch in a VERY low resoution mode and may look windowed instead of full screen. This is expected.

10) In the game's main menu, select 'Options', disable fullscreen if enabled, save the changes, and quit the game.

11) Return to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Plants Vs Zombies and right-click on the .exe file and select 'Properties' and once again, select 'Compatibility'

12) Uncheck 'Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution' and 'Disable fullscreen optimizations'. KEEP 'Run this program as an administrator'

13) Click 'Apply' and launch PvZ from either steam or from the .exe file. If desired, you may enable full screen mode again from the game options menu.

Hopefully this helps save some time and helps anyone else that may have encounter this as I did.

Message 9 of 9 (335 Views)