Re: Plants vs. Zombies (PC, Game of the Year Edition) Not Support Windows 10?

by RyCitrus

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Plants vs. Zombies (PC, Game of the Year Edition) Not Support Windows 10?

★★★ Newbie

In 2011, I purchased and installed Plants vs Zombies PC Edition (Game of the Year) on a Windows 7 operating system. I don't recall for sure where I bought it from, but I believe it was game house. It worked great, and had no problems (from what I remember). 

Just recently, I've transferred to a Windows 10 Laptop. With upgrading, I also reinstalled the PvZ launcher onto my laptop in attempt to bring back my childhood favorite. The game does install completely. Since then however, after installing and doing multiple attempts of trial and error, I've had no luck. 

I've tried much research, tried a few stray methods, running as administrator, and toyed around with the compatibility mode. Still nothing. The only difference is now the screen changes resolution, matching PvZ, for about a few seconds then cancels out. No black screen, just temporary resolution change. The game however still works and is supported on my previous Windows 7 PC. 

Help is needed! Is there any method to repairing this and or even rigging the game to function on my Windows 10 Laptop? 

Message 1 of 9 (14,295 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@RyCitrus;  I have PvZ, GotY Edition on my Win10/64-bit machine.  It plays just fine. No special config, no "Run as Admin", no "Compatibility Mode", no changes to the default installation.  So maybe do a complete un-/re-install?

Your query did make me fire it up for the first time in over two years though... I'd forgotten how addictive it can be!

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (14,548 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@RyCitrus;  I have PvZ, GotY Edition on my Win10/64-bit machine.  It plays just fine. No special config, no "Run as Admin", no "Compatibility Mode", no changes to the default installation.  So maybe do a complete un-/re-install?

Your query did make me fire it up for the first time in over two years though... I'd forgotten how addictive it can be!

Message 2 of 9 (14,549 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Interesting. The other problem is that I purchased Plants vs Zombies digitally from Game House, which no longer sells nor allows me to reinstall the launcher. However, the launcher still functions and installs perfectly - as tested with my Windows 7 computer.

What is interesting is when I installed a PvZ demo online, it worked perfectly fine. The files even matched completely with the Demo I installed in 2011 before the actual purchase. 

Thank you for your help!

- RyCitrus

Message 3 of 9 (14,183 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Also where did you purchase PvZ from (Ex, Game House) and was it in digital form? Thanks!

Message 4 of 9 (14,176 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I think he got it on Steam, or Origin. I'm acually having the same problem as you. i've tried so many times, but doesn't work

Message 5 of 9 (12,968 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Jum!!!

I think this game got too old for newest windows 10 settings. I also suspect the graphics are flash or ssomething similar and is not supported anymore. I had it in cd put in a USB and transferred  it did got installed, but only worked for a while.

As soon as the GamingTuff laptop from Asus started updating the problems started. I thend purchased it from ebay didn't worked. 

Then I have Steam bought it, fat chance that it would worked it even turned my laptop into a bunch of squares or grid like, and it won't even let me get to task manager. 

I had to just turn it off. I tried everything you said, and no luck . I finally realize  that is just doesn't work well with newer componets. I gave up.

Message 6 of 9 (11,925 Views)

★★★ Newbie

PROBLEM FIXED

i had the same problem and i looked online a lot but nothing work,

so i tried everything and only one thing work great wit me 

go to your windows 7 where you downloaded the game / C:\Program Files (x86)\PopCap Games\Plants vs. Zombies(TM)  /

copy all the folders,, (and i mean all the folders there) and then go to your windows 10 and go where you downloaded the game again and paste all the files and replace it with the new instillation on windows 10 .

i will work just as it was working at windows 7, the only problem i have is to move my saved level and i am still try to figure it out.

i hope this will solve your problem like it did with me 

Message 7 of 9 (11,248 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You can get plants vs zombies game of the year edition on steam and it works fine.

Message 8 of 9 (11,047 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@cornelison12231 I bought the original plants vs zombies game on Steam a few days ago and it didn't work.
Message 9 of 9 (6,339 Views)