Plants VS Zombies Game of the year edition Windows 10 Error reading user file !

by davecat41997

Original Post

Plants VS Zombies Game of the year edition Windows 10 Error reading user file !

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Invalid file version.

This happened to me today as I was playing the game, Well actually tending to the garden, Feeding my 725 foot tree and buying fertilizer, A STORM rolled through knocked out power during the purchasing of the fertilizer and when the power came back ON I restarted the computer and went to finish my fertilizer purchase and grow the tree some more since I had $980,000 some odd dollars in the game and you can only go to 999,999 so you need to buy something.

ANYWAY upon re opening the game I got the 

Error reading user file

! exclamation in triangle

Invalid file version.

I have tried EVERYTHING listed on other peoples supposed solutions.

Turned off Cloud that did nothing turned it back on nothing,

Deleted the files in the computer and or uninstalled it and re installed it many times still doesn't work!

Others said this would fix it but you would lose your saved game or achievements and have to start over but I can't even get that far I still get the error.

I have BEATEN the full game of the year edition 13 times I believe. 249 hours played $980,000 plus plant dollars. 725 plus foot tall tree of wisdom!

And all the other goals etc.

Now just because of a simple power outage I cannot get the game to start anymore?

This is terrible.

Purchased through EA and or Origin.

Even tried safe mode but the error still exists.

No one elses posts seem to help me and to be honest sound like gibberish.

Just once it would be nice if someone would post an option that actually WORKS!!

Update: I noticed that the game keeps telling me to do the windows and G for x box game bar so I thought since that this game was the only thing that has ever utilized xbox anything i would delete the xbox files and then I found an EA folder deleted that and then uninstalled origin and plants vs zombies and emptied everything and then restarted and re installed those from origin online. Now at first it still did the file error but I tried the cloud data check thing again and it asked if I wanted to switch to the local save or the like meaning the computer,Once I DID THAT

ALL MY PROGRESS< GONEEEE!

I was able to play again but at Ground Zero. The very first patch of grass. No zen garden no 725 foot tall tree of wisdom no NOTHING!!!

Guess that is gone forever and all  I can do  to save that data is Testify here that I had beaten it 13 times and was working on the 14th when this happened.

Had a 725 foot tall tree of wisdom with a few codes earned along the way witch are now null until I grow the tree tall enough again.

Message 1 of 3 (2,661 Views)

Re: Plants VS Zombies Game of the year edition Windows 10 Error reading user fil

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@davecat41997I got it to work while preserving some user settings. After the first time running and letting it cloud sync, i disabled cloud sync and then i went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<usernumber>\3590\remote and started removing DAT files one at a time (had some as old as 2010) and rerunning. eventually found the one bad one and the game would then start.

When you re-enable cloud sync, all the dat files return to that directory so you'll get them all back.  your awesomeness might still be there.  For me, once I got a good run by deleting the bad file, I re-enabled cloud sync and it just started working with all the files sync'd (e.g. didn't have to delete any).  Weird but worked. got my achievements and garden and tree back (and money).

Message 2 of 3 (2,482 Views)

Re: Plants VS Zombies Game of the year edition Windows 10 Error reading user fil

★ Apprentice

It has been nearly 2 months so I dont recall but I think deleting those is what sent me back to 0. Course I wasn't patient enough to try one at a time and probably deleted all.

I do not know if there is a cloud space limit but I'm thinking I had reached mine??

Not sure. Well back to the drawing board. Tree is around 100 foot and I've beat it like 4 times since then.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 3 (2,469 Views)