PVZ Game of the Year Edition not working

by pedroxatin188

Original Post

PVZ Game of the Year Edition not working

★★ Novice

I've obtained the Game of the Year edition from Origin some years ago, but now it just doesn't work. I've tried to run it with Administrator rights, tried to use an older version of Windows to play it, uninstalled it manually, uninstalled Origin manually, re-installed the game on the Clean Boot and with my Antivirus software (AVAST) offline and it still doesn't work. I also had the game installed in my old laptop, which by the time was working perfectly, and it stopped working there too. The game doesn't show any error messages or anything, it just simply doesn't open. Does anyone has a solution to this?

Message 1 of 12 (6,086 Views)

Re: PVZ Game of the Year Edition not working

Community Manager

@pedroxatin188 Hi, can you check your reliability monitor for any crash report for the failed opening? While it seems to just shut down, hopefully it is creating a report in Windows.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722107(v=ws.10).aspx

Do you have any other Origin games, do these work ok?

Thank you. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 12 (6,039 Views)

★★ Novice

It showed 2 reports.
The first one says :

Spoiler

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Plants vs. Zombies\Plants vs. Zombies EN\PlantsVsZombies.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PlantsVsZombies.exe
Application Version: 1.2.0.1073
Application Timestamp: 4c2e3453
Fault Module Name: EACore.dll
Fault Module Version: 3.2.4.6
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ee2517f
Exception Code: c0000094
Exception Offset: 001a6ecb
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 3046761170

And the second one says:

Spoiler
Faulting application name: PlantsVsZombies.exe, version: 1.2.0.1073, time stamp: 0x4c2e3453
Faulting module name: EACore.dll, version: 3.2.4.6, time stamp: 0x4ee2517f
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x001a6ecb
Faulting process id: 0x750
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2903d74e5555b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Plants vs. Zombies\Plants vs. Zombies EN\PlantsVsZombies.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~1\ORIGIN~1\PLANTS~1.ZOM\PLANTS~2.ZOM\Core\EACore.dll
Report Id: bbe7a6b1-fc30-11e6-8a41-000df0be53c7

Message 3 of 12 (6,034 Views)

Community Manager

@pedroxatin188 Hi, thanks for the update.

Can you try reinstalling Origin to start with? You can also try running Origin as an administrator and see if that helps?

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 12 (6,019 Views)

★★ Novice

I manually uninstalled Origin, re-installed as an Administrator and with a Clean Boot. Uninstalled the game, installed again and used the "Repair" function on Origin and it still the same.

Message 5 of 12 (6,008 Views)

Community Manager

Thank you. Can you navigate to Origin Games\Plants vs. Zombies\Plants vs. Zombies EN\Core and delete both awc.dll & EACore.dll. Then try running the repair again and see if anything changes. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 12 (6,001 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok. This time i deleted the files and used repair on Origin as Administrator, but during installation i received a DirectX Error from the EAInstaller. But instead of cancelling the installation, Origin treated as if the game was complete. I tried again and same thing, DirectX error and Origin treating the game as fully installed.

Message 7 of 12 (5,992 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks, what did the error message say? Are you able to set your user account control to always notify, then try again, and see if you receive an option to let Origin make the necessary steps. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/user-account-control-overview

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 12 (5,987 Views)

★★ Novice

This is the error that i received.

But, after i received the error, i uninstalled the game and installed again, which lead to the same error again. After the 3rd try, the game was installed successfully, but still didn't run.

Message 9 of 12 (5,979 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks. When you enabled the UAC did you get more notifications. You mention taking your AV offline, can you double check that this is disabled? It sounds like Origin is blocked from writing/changing some important files on your computer, and such cases are frequently due to permissions issues or over-zealous security software. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 12 (5,975 Views)