File too short error message

by kayzbluegenes

Original Post

Accepted Solution

File too short error message

★★★ Newbie

Not only am I getting the "file too short" error message when attempting to play Plants vs. Zombies, but I am unable to submit a ticket or send a message for help.

Message 1 of 16 (18,810 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: File too short error message

★★★★ Novice

Hello : )

Here's something I've once read some time that people did to fix this problem.

Find the "userdata"-folder and delete it

It's either in the folder where you installed your game, in the "ProgramData"-folder or in %appdata%

Reboot after that and try launching the game again.

I hope this works for you. If not, we'll think of something else : )

View in thread

Message 2 of 16 (19,213 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

Hello : )

Here's something I've once read some time that people did to fix this problem.

Find the "userdata"-folder and delete it

It's either in the folder where you installed your game, in the "ProgramData"-folder or in %appdata%

Reboot after that and try launching the game again.

I hope this works for you. If not, we'll think of something else : )

Message 2 of 16 (19,214 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same problem file isn't where it should be I  do have another folder for pvz from popcap games that does have the file, tried deleting it but didn't help & yes I have it set to show hidden files & folders, problem started after RS5 Windows 10 & a java update. Plz help!

Message 3 of 16 (17,284 Views)

Community Manager

@Colt44Walker Hi, can I check the file location for the folder you did delete?

Can you try repairing/reinstalling the game and see if that has any effect? Assuming you're on Origin you can start the repair by right-clicking the game panel and choosing the appropriate option. 

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 16 (17,253 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi I have uninstalled & reinstalled the game & run the repair at least 5 times, I have had this problem happen twice before & was able to fix, I don't know why I can't this time, the userdata file keeps returning to programdata/popcap games/plantsvszombies/userdata after uninstall & deleting that folder even. I have tried everything I can think of, If you wish to ck it with teamviewer I'm up for that just let me know when we can hook up thanx. P.S. I just tried again twice uninstalling, then deleting all plantvs.zombie files I could find including the popcap ones & still get file too short error

Message 5 of 16 (17,240 Views)

★ Novice

Found this via google search... I'm having the same problem on Win 10.  "File too short" error.  I detele C:\ProgramData\PopCap Games\PlantsVsZombies\userdata but it reappears, full of DAT files.  Problem persists.  Any ideas?  

Message 6 of 16 (17,063 Views)

★ Novice

Can somebody at Origin pleeeease fix this!   I've deleted userdata, reinstalled and repaired.  I've done this on both of my Wind 10 computers and I get the same error message on each.  "File too short."  Please fix.  I miss playing PvZ !!!!

Message 7 of 16 (16,974 Views)

★★★ Novice

I think we will both be old dead zombies before they ever get back to this problem, I guess it's just not a priority for them & I guess buying any more games from them won't be on the top of my list either, too many other game sites out there that take really good care of their customers.

Message 8 of 16 (16,965 Views)

★ Novice

I think you might be right Colt.  On the bright side:  Steam has PvZ GOTY Edition for $5 and it seems to work correctly.  

Message 9 of 16 (16,953 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I also have the same problem and have tried everything listed above and more... I don't know what to do anymore.. Frown
Message 10 of 16 (16,678 Views)