Re: Poor framerate in Undercover

by SDeaniX

Original Post

Poor framerate in Undercover

★★★ Apprentice

Why do the latest NFS titles work well on my PC and Undercover seems so badly optimized? Can I fix this?

Message 1 of 10 (1,270 Views)

Community Manager

@SDeaniX

It may be worthwhile manually running the DXSETUP file from the Undercover install location.

Sometimes, especially with newer operating systems these secondary installs can be skipped but the game will still run.

Do let us know if this has the desired effect, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,257 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, but

um

I deleted the game and now Origin crashes when I try to redownload it. Same with Shift. The problem is that Origin 9 downloaded both without any problems and version 10 crashed. Now I can't return to version 9. I thought the developers have fixed that, as I am not the only one with such problem. What a great disappointment. So, what do I do now?

Message 3 of 10 (1,250 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Unfortunately, that didn't help. The game still has low FPS and freezes a bit.

Message 4 of 10 (1,237 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice
Tried compatibility mode with Windows Vista, it helped a bit, but graphics settings reset every time I launch the game. Any ideas?
Message 5 of 10 (1,214 Views)

Community Manager

@SDeaniX

Can you post your Dxdiag report here so we can take a look please?

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 6 of 10 (1,185 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Message 7 of 10 (1,166 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

This may be an issue related to the Origin version of Undercover. You may consider buying a new DVD version (USA / North American version), which sells for about $10 (USA) and is still available at some online stores. Note that the DVD is only used during install and is activated using a key included with the DVD version. There's a patch 1.0.1.17 that helps with the frame rate and a patch 1.0.1.18 that adds a challenge series which rewards 3 special tier 1 cars. You'll have to do a web search to find and download the 1.0.1.18 patch (it doesn't show up on the ea download server anymore). You don't need the 1.0.1.17 patch in order to install the 1.0.1.18 patch.

Part of the issue with the frame rate is the fast pace of the cars, and the game has trouble keeping up with rendering background objects, such as the buildings in Palm Harbor, resulting in the screen turning bluish (not a crash, just a bluish tint on the screen) and slowing down of the frame rate. The patches mostly fix this.

Message 8 of 10 (1,145 Views)

★ Guide

the patch of the box version improves the thing but does not correct it completely! undercover has always been rickety and does not fit on the config indicated on the back of the box.

mini:

quad core and GTX280 or equivalent ATI

below the game will never be stable unlike that which is indicated on the back of the box.

it's undercover Standard smile

Message 9 of 10 (1,028 Views)

★ Guide

You can try this registry setting, which may help, the default value is 0, change it to a 2:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Games\Need for Speed Undercover]

"g_PerformanceLevel"=dword:00000002

Message 10 of 10 (993 Views)