Need for speed pc keyboard controls am stuck at stage 3 trying not to be busted

by nfstr0101

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Need for speed pc keyboard controls am stuck at stage 3 trying not to be busted

★★ Novice

I am currently very frustrated and angry. I can't seem to get away from the police on foot. I bought a racing game and have no interest in running around or in deed damaging my keyboard. (Who's ever idea that was should be sacked.)

I am running a PC with a keyboard and SideWinder joystick, no a pad, did none of you test this on a pc?

What are the key sequences I'm supposed to be pressing.

B is escape X is CTRL in the menu's but B is space in the game and X is return. There is no logic to the key presses and they seem to change.

So far I have worked out by trial and error that:-

B = Space

X = Return

A = Space

Y = Return

A = Space

Y = Backspace

X = CTRL

I'm completely lost here. So have I paid full price for 30% of a game.

Message 1 of 16 (78,846 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Need for speed pc keyboard controls am stuck at stage 3 trying not to be busted

Community Manager (retired)

Hello nfstr0101

Need for Speed The Run gives you the choice of playing with an Xbox 360® controller or your computer keyboard.
For the best experience with Need for Speed The Run, we recommend using the Xbox 360 controller. You can
change controls from the Gameplay Settings menu.

Default Control Layout

default_control_layout.JPG

Need for Speed The Run officially supports the following steering wheels

• PS3
    Generally all steering wheels based on the PS3 controller will function in NFS The Run. Wheels will need to be configured / mapped in game.
  • Xbox 360
    We officially support the Microsoft wheel.
  • PC
    For PC we support all X input or Direct X compatible controllers, in other words, they’ll all work and will need to be configured in the game.
  • Wii
    For Wii we support the Mario Kart wheel and compatible.

Please be aware that the Fanatec Porsche GT3 driving wheel is not supported in Need for Speed The Run.

We hope this helps.

View in thread

Message 3 of 16 (90,337 Views)

All Replies

Re: Need for speed pc keyboard controls am stuck at stage 3 trying not to be busted

★★★ Newbie

Same here, I bought this game for my son for his birthday and he can't even play it , I cannot believe they havent posted a fix for this yet, and who the hell is Origin and what gives them the right to hijack a video game ???

Message 2 of 16 (78,682 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello nfstr0101

Need for Speed The Run gives you the choice of playing with an Xbox 360® controller or your computer keyboard.
For the best experience with Need for Speed The Run, we recommend using the Xbox 360 controller. You can
change controls from the Gameplay Settings menu.

Default Control Layout

default_control_layout.JPG

Need for Speed The Run officially supports the following steering wheels

• PS3
    Generally all steering wheels based on the PS3 controller will function in NFS The Run. Wheels will need to be configured / mapped in game.
  • Xbox 360
    We officially support the Microsoft wheel.
  • PC
    For PC we support all X input or Direct X compatible controllers, in other words, they’ll all work and will need to be configured in the game.
  • Wii
    For Wii we support the Mario Kart wheel and compatible.

Please be aware that the Fanatec Porsche GT3 driving wheel is not supported in Need for Speed The Run.

We hope this helps.

Message 3 of 16 (90,338 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure how this helps. The keyboard equivalents seem to be variable

B = Space

X = Return

A = Space

Y = Return

A = Space

Y = Backspace

X = CTRL

As you can see from my list X is Return initially and then later it is CTRL, B and A seem to be space and Y is either Return or Backspace.

there just seems to be no logic to it.

Why they even bothered with these scenes is confusing they don't improve the game in any way, interrupt the game play and cause PC players nothing but frustration. The initial getting out of the car scene almost made me give up and I only managed to succeed through sheer fluke.

E.A. Please please stop trying to be clever and concentrate on what you do well "I want an arcarde racing game" if I wanted to walk around I'd buy GTA.

Message 4 of 16 (78,673 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I haven't played this game in a while.  Revisiting it today and I now remember why I didn't finish it.  The controller options are horrible!  I've been using the Logitech Rumblepad 2 on all the other NFS games with no problem.  Not this one!  I had to switch to a basic MS controller as I could not assign steering to the D-Pad on the Logitech... only the sticks.  It seems the game doesn't recognize the D-Pad.  I don't like using the sticks.  Sounds like the MS controller solved my problem, right?  No!

NFS The Run has movie clips you must go through to advance ahead.  Seems my MS controller doesn't have the required RT button (as needed to escape the cops).  So I switched to the keyboard to get through this.  This is not easy either as the keyboard mapping provided by EA does not match any actual keyboards. 

Don't know if it'll help you get through this or not but here's what I used.  You'll have to drive with your keyboard for a brief period... bites!  To escape the police, try using...

A = Spacebar

B = Spacebar

Y = Enter

X = Enter

RT = right arrow

Hope this helps!

For EA, please push down an update to this game to use MS XBOX 360 type controller!  Thanks!

Message 5 of 16 (78,262 Views)

Re: Need for speed pc keyboard controls am stuck at stage 3 trying not to be bus

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Stuck on tutorial, my steering wheel cannot do accelerate plus brake at same time and on keyboard controls are messed up and cannot fix, Wish could get refund, stupid ea... [Edit] I also got Controller but don't know where that is and want to play on steering wheel, most wanted works fine.

Message 6 of 16 (66,186 Views)

Re: Need for speed pc keyboard controls am stuck at stage 3 trying not to be bus

★ Guide
The sensitivity adjustment for controllers is terrible and you can't turn vibration off.
You also can't set A and D to steer left and right as D is assigned to menu option on a keyboard.

The steering controls are difficult to use and you can't adjust them to something that is comfortable or easy.
Message 7 of 16 (61,511 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for trying to answer my query but I think E.A. should be ashamed that they have not posted a fix for this. My original post was 4 years ago.

I gave up on this game 4 years ago as E.A. did not give me a suitable answer and I am still stuck half way through the game.

I really think E.A. owe me a refund for a product that was not fit for purpose. But I doubt they even care.

I have not purchased another E.A. game since even though I purchase at full price all of the previous incarnations of the NFS series and enjoyed them greatly.

As I stated in my original post, I fail to see what benefits or improvement these cut scenes achieve, whether it be my keyboard or any other controller that I own (not an XBOX360 though) I do not wish to be mindlessly hitting some key to get to the next race. Who does????

E.A. how about a patch to enable me to turn off the interactive cut scenes altogether so I can enjoy the Game for why I purchased it which is driving around. I may then finish it.

Thanks

Message 8 of 16 (60,180 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Any fix for this? I just installed it and am stuck in the beginning as well. I don't have a controller and i formerly had a version of the game where it would show me the keyboard buttons i need to tap. I don't even own a controller and it keeps showing me controller buttons 

Message 9 of 16 (56,563 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

change controls joystick to keyboard

its really works

https://youtu.be/4xnt9xRtjtw

Message 10 of 16 (39,764 Views)