Re: Need for Speed Shift won't start

by piggysnakes

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Need for Speed Shift won't start

★★ Novice

I have the PC version, running on Windows 8.1 Just bought the game, it installed properly (at least I think). Also my laptop exceeds all the minimum requirements. I've tried many times, but after I hit play either from desktop shortcut, autorun menu, or clicking the actual .exe file, the CD just spins for a bit, then stops. Nothing happens. Very frustrating... I have no idea what the problem could be.

I tried contacting EA with the Live Chat, but I waited almost 2 hours (during evening eastern time) and no response. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 15 (9,412 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Unfortunately I can't offer further assistance on the forums. At least you have all the information need right now. Have a nice weekend.. Standard smile

View in thread

Message 14 of 15 (9,684 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

Hi @40rott,

If your game fails to start, here is a good article to start with:

https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-troubleshoot-crashing-and-freezing-issues/

Disc versions of older games like Shift sometimes run into issues with newer versions of Windows like 8.1 and 10. In that case, I would suggest to try downloading the game. You will need to get your disc version converted to a download version by contacting a Game Advisor.

Since you ran into issues while trying to contact us last time, please try using these steps with some extra tips:

1. Go to https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/ -- do not use a mobile device to contact us
2. Select your country from the upper left corner. If it isn't listed, try US or UK
3. Select Game, click Next
4. Select Platform, click Next
5. Select Topic and Issue and give a description, click Next
6. Select the method in which you want to contact us
7. Some contact options might not be available depending on the time at which you place your request

Doesn't work? Select another game, topic or issue. You can also press F5 to reload the page or try another browser.

Unable to login on your account? Click "Having trouble accessing your account?" at the bottom right of the screen, during the login step.

Message 2 of 15 (9,397 Views)

★ Guide
Download through origin then.
Message 3 of 15 (9,392 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm not sure why Shift wouldn't work because its 's "old"... I have games that are a decade older than Shift that run with no problems on my 8.1 including a NFS game from 2000. Anyway, if I were to get a download version, what does that entail? I hope it's not something complicated like having to send the game in mail first to receive the download version. I specifically bought the box version because I like owning the physical copy. I even passed up a good deal on digital version to have the real thing.

Message 4 of 15 (9,383 Views)

EA DICE Team

@40rott

What I explained about games that might not work only holds true for disc versions. And like you experienced, it doesn't hold true for all games either.

As for getting a digital download; the only thing that will change is your code, and that you will be given the option to download the game via Origin, instead of having to use the disc to install.

Have a look at this article for more information about downloading your games via Origin:

https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-download-my-new-game-on-origin/

Meanwhile, did the troubleshooting article I provided help you? Were you able to complete all the steps?

Message 5 of 15 (9,376 Views)

★ Guide
You just you're code into origin and start your digital download. No disk required.
Message 6 of 15 (9,374 Views)

★★ Novice

Alright, thank you. I tried all the steps except updating graphics driver. I'm going to try that today. Last time I did it messed up the graphics on numerous games so I reverted it. But thanks for your help!

Is the download version guaranteed to work, barring my graphics is updated and everything else has been checked?

Message 7 of 15 (9,366 Views)

EA DICE Team

@40rott

When updating your gpu drivers, you might want to do so with a clean install to avoid problems.

I cannot guarantee that the download version will work because there are different reasons for why a game isn't working, but it is definitely worth checking out. If it still doesn't work, please provide me with a dxdiag and I will investigate further.

Message 8 of 15 (9,357 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Will do! I believe my graphics driver is an integrated Intel, and I don't think you can do a clean installation with those (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm going to try Live Chat again tomorrow for the digital download code, still haven't had success contacting yet, so I'll get back to you after I get to try that.

Message 9 of 15 (9,351 Views)

EA DICE Team

@40rott

Thanks for the information.

It could be that the game won't launch due to your Intel Adapter not having enough dedicated video memory. The requirement is 256mb, from experience most Intel Adapters only have about 64mb.

I can confirm that for you if you add the dxdiag. You can also test your system on the following website:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/need-for-speed-shift/10904/?p=r

Message 10 of 15 (9,336 Views)