Re: Need For Speed: World

by rebelcowboyjosh

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Need For Speed: World

★★ Novice

Hello hopefully someone at either EA or Ghost (Or anyone else)!

I'm here for a few reasons unrelated to any games listed on this website. Specifically, Need for Speed: World and any upcoming games. I have a few questions related to these and I am wondering if its possible if I could get an official person from EA to answer:

1. Before Need for Speed: World shut down for good, what were the intentions (if there were any) for expansions to the map as Rockport Turnpike just closes off after a row of toll booths? 

2. Will there ever be a free-roam game in the same sort of format of gameplay like NFS World? If so, what would the map be (New map or older maps put together)?

3. In the neat future, is there a chance we will see reboots of older games in the franchise; specifically the ones people love the most being NFS Most Wanted (2005), Carbon, Underground 1 & 2 and Prostreet?

4. In the new game being 2017, is there going to be a day/night cycle to keep the game varied?

Thanks and I hope I can get answers on this post. It'd mean a lot to me to know at least some of this information as NFS World is something I miss and hoped could've stayed for longer and have new updates. Of course I know why it shut down as you cannot keep every games online servers running but you could've gave it an offline feature at best to keep a part of the community running (I know there is an offline game ran by other people but still, you'd get to update it with features if it was your own).

-Seth

Message 1 of 6 (2,978 Views)

Accepted Solution

I am not an official person from EA. But I was passionate NFSW player!

As far I know the answers to your questions are:

1. Before Need for Speed: World shut down for good, what were the intentions (if there were any) for expansions to the map as Rockport Turnpike just closes off after a row of toll booths? 

Because NFSW was a "low-budget project" the Initial design was to include Palmont & Rockport only. At the begin of the Project there was no strict plan to add additional maps, but...

1) Yes, they tried to explore the possibilities to add Maps from some other NFS Tittles. Unfortunately they found out that the maps are not compatible with NFSW's engine etc.

2) They tried to add the "Canyons", but when they saw how much workd it would be to make it done, they abandoned the plan.

2. Will there ever be a free-roam game in the same sort of format of gameplay like NFS World? If so, what would the map be (New map or older maps put together)?

I think you wanted to ask: "When we Will get another MMO Racing game?"

So far there was no* high budget MMO Racing game (big like WoW, ESO or SW:TOR).

*Up to now, we have seen: iRacing, Kart Rider, Test Drive Unlimited, Project Torque, Drift City, Race or Die, Upshift Strikeracer, The Trackmania, War on Wheels.

We hopped the Crew Will become MMOR, but... Ok how is this an MMO?

Development of WoS failed Frown 

So, it seems making a quality and successful MMOR is not an easy task!?

Gaming industry tend to do what is easier to do & what is more profitable (better "effort-profit" ratio)!

But currently there is another "low-budget project" or "case study" (to make Racing MMO) in progress... NFS EDGE

If NFS EGDE Will be successful in KOREA, they Will deploy it to the World market!? 

3. In the neat future, is there a chance we will see reboots of older games in the franchise; specifically the ones people love the most being NFS Most Wanted (2005), Carbon, Underground 1 & 2 and Prostreet?

Yeah, many Fans hope NFS 2017 Will be "Underground 3"! But IMO there Will be no "reboots" because EA tends to "Always to try something new"!

4. In the new game being 2017, is there going to be a day/night cycle to keep the game varied?

Most likely they Will answer to such Questions at EA Play 2017.

In the mean time be sure to sign up for the newsletter!

Yours sincerely, Mikimuster3
I am a volunteer and not an EA employee.
Important Priority Necessary (Improve the solution to your problem):
- https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/using-ea-help/
- https://www.facebook.com/EAHelpHub/
- https://twitter.com/eahelp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"XP" button = reward someone's effort! (this is like saying "Thanks")
"Accept as Solution" = important for other players with the same problem!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*P.S. Most enjoyable EA= https://www.ea.com/games/coming-soon

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (3,200 Views)

All Replies

I am not an official person from EA. But I was passionate NFSW player!

As far I know the answers to your questions are:

Because NFSW was a "low-budget project" the Initial design was to include Palmont & Rockport only. At the begin of the Project there was no strict plan to add additional maps, but...

1) Yes, they tried to explore the possibilities to add Maps from some other NFS Tittles. Unfortunately they found out that the maps are not compatible with NFSW's engine etc.

2) They tried to add the "Canyons", but when they saw how much workd it would be to make it done, they abandoned the plan.

I think you wanted to ask: "When we Will get another MMO Racing game?"

So far there was no* high budget MMO Racing game (big like WoW, ESO or SW:TOR).

*Up to now, we have seen: iRacing, Kart Rider, Test Drive Unlimited, Project Torque, Drift City, Race or Die, Upshift Strikeracer, The Trackmania, War on Wheels.

We hopped the Crew Will become MMOR, but... Ok how is this an MMO?

Development of WoS failed Frown 

So, it seems making a quality and successful MMOR is not an easy task!?

Gaming industry tend to do what is easier to do & what is more profitable (better "effort-profit" ratio)!

But currently there is another "low-budget project" or "case study" (to make Racing MMO) in progress... NFS EDGE

If NFS EGDE Will be successful in KOREA, they Will deploy it to the World market!? 

Yeah, many Fans hope NFS 2017 Will be "Underground 3"! But IMO there Will be no "reboots" because EA tends to "Always to try something new"!

Most likely they Will answer to such Questions at EA Play 2017.

In the mean time be sure to sign up for the newsletter!

Yours sincerely, Mikimuster3
I am a volunteer and not an EA employee.
Important Priority Necessary (Improve the solution to your problem):
- https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/using-ea-help/
- https://www.facebook.com/EAHelpHub/
- https://twitter.com/eahelp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"XP" button = reward someone's effort! (this is like saying "Thanks")
"Accept as Solution" = important for other players with the same problem!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*P.S. Most enjoyable EA= https://www.ea.com/games/coming-soon
Message 2 of 6 (3,201 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

The intention was to add a teleport spot at the end of the turnpike to teleport between the World and  Undercover maps. This may be the reason for the "TriCities" name used there. The then current map for World had reached the boundary limits for the coordinate system used in World, so in order to add Undercover, it had to be on a separate map, accessed via a teleport like mechanism. In the early discussions about this, Undercover's map could be converted to be compatible with World's map, but Underground 2's polygon density was lower than World's which would mean more that more than just a conversion process would be involved.

The choice of the location of the turnpike was to use the location of what some called the mystery bridge in Most Wanted (2005), which can be seen from Point Camden looking northwest, but not from downtown Rockport.

Canyons

In the Ask Marc videos series, Marc mentioned that the canyons were 90% complete. The canyons were located in the unused part of the map, linking north Fortuna with west Silverton. In one or two releases of World, players that went out of bounds reported being able to see the canyons on the mini-map (the small circular map). The canyons were linked end to end, low end to low end, high end to high end.

What happened?

At the time that EA Canada started work on World, they didn't have much else to work on, as the current batch of NFS games were mostly being worked on by Criterion and Slightly Mad Studios. My impression is World was conceived by the development team rather than management, as a relatively low budget project (compared to Undercover). Sometime in late 2010, much of the EA Canada team was removed to work on "The Run", and never game back. The work on completing the connector roads linking west downtown Rockport with Kempton and Palmont was abandoned, as well as work on the canyons. It's unknown how much work, if any, had been done on converting Undercover's map to World. In the Ask Marc videos, they just stated that these works in progress were no longer a "priority".

Fortunately, night mode and the holiday theme stuff like October Fest, Halloween, Christmas, and New Years were close enough to completion that the work on these features continued and were added to World. For Christmas 2012, traffic cars had holiday theme neons, but I don't recall this every happening again.

Message 3 of 6 (2,910 Views)

★★ Novice
Thanks for giving me that brief description on the canyons. Just something additional: do you think map modding the game could be viable on offline? Not like a massive part of the map like Tri Cities or Bayview but canyons. If it is from your point of view or someone else, I will give it a shot or get someone else do so too.
Message 4 of 6 (2,893 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi Seth I am not a employee or a volunteer of any kind but I wanted to have this game as a kid but I wasn't allowed to download games of the internet but seeing this game gone was heartbreaking to me. But EA could have shut it down because they wanted to keep on adding to the game but the game just couldn't handle anymore maps but if it was like this it must have been a beta of some sort.

Message 5 of 6 (2,676 Views)

★★★ Newbie

well this sucks that i lost every bit of my cars and stuff on there when they shut down and no one was able to give me or anyone i now a code to get the new game so i fill that ether that ea or origin owes people money because a lot of people  put a lot of money in to this game and deserve to get what they put in to it so someone has to figured out to do something out asap 

Message 6 of 6 (2,094 Views)