Re: Classic NFS games

by sgtskd

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

"HP2 was the last NFS game that didn't have NOS or customization" - Porsche Unleashed includes performance and body parts (some of the body parts have little or no effect on performance, like wheels), and paint trim schemes (the equivalent of vinyls). NFS2 through Porsche Unleashed all include some form of engine and aerodynamics tuning, and the ability to paint the cars. High Stakes Japan version includes the Nissan Skyline, and this was distributed via the fan forums at the time, and most of the online regulars before Oct 2003 server shutdown had all the country specific cars.

Message 31 of 36 (1,050 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

" I'm not really that interested in Ghosts' attempts to resurrect Need For Speed Most Wanted or Underground." For some games, EA / Origin relies on a third party (one of them may be Good Old Games) to remove a disc protection scheme and replace it with a digital rights protection scheme, but otherwise it's the original game. I think conversion of ProStreet to a digital download was done this way (I'm not sure who did the actual conversion). Other modifications like higher resolutions might be included with the conversion. However, I read that Origin no longer sells ProStreet.

In the case of Undercover, the DVD was only used for installation, and the game was activated online similar to a digital download. However, the Origin version of Undercover was changed enough to make it incompatible with the patches, including 1.0.1.18 which is the patch that adds the Challenge Series and the 3 special edition cars you can win from the Challenge Series.

Somewhat related, Origin no longer sells the Limited Edition of Shift 2 Unleashed, which may be due the Origin server no longer supporting "DLC" content that is actually unlocked as opposed to being downloaded, so even though a player paid for extra content, since the Origin server no sends "unlock" messages when a player logs in, the extra content can't be unlocked. This would mostly affect players that buy the original DVD version of Shift 2 Unleashed Limited Edition from an online retailer like Amazon. I don't know if this affects other games that rely on an unlocking scheme. It seems that removing "unlock" messages from the server occurred 1 or 2 years ago.

Message 32 of 36 (1,044 Views)

★★★★ Novice

the servers are not up and the copies that most  have on Cd are not able to download with out authentication through the ea servers

Message 33 of 36 (894 Views)

★★★★ Novice

actually EA lost Licensing on some older games when Origin  took over. that is also why they are down some servers. they needed the server space to make newer and higher res games. Like the one I hate Rivals. A game that is called a racing game but you can not use a racing wheel to play it. that one needs to be scrubbed and remade with wheel access. then I might be happy to play it. As of now I just wasted @$50 on a game I cant play.

Message 34 of 36 (892 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ok so your whole argument is pretty bad because what made those games successful wasn't visual mixing exclusively, it was the different style of progression and the learning the arrests of the open world and getting better at racing because you understand the streets you travel on as you play. Also characters are good to have sometimes but the biggest thing is the satisfaction of your progression showing in your cars and having favorite places in the city's. I've played the older games like hot persuit and high stakes and I have to say I do enjoy those other games But the problem is I don't feel great progression aside from unlocking maps and buying cars with any color you want each time you use them. Yes I had favorite places in hot persuit but they where only in the form of free mode maps and it gets boring tracing the same map going the same direction with cops in the same spots saying the same thing. It's not great so I deal as if you can't grasp the concept of different styles of gameplay. Yes having a franchise go open world is jarring and people will freak out a bit but in the right game type, like a street racing it is objectively a better solution to that type of progression. But either way I don't expect you to except it you sleep to be sticking to the old way too hard

Message 35 of 36 (607 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Nice!!!

I still have my underground and underground 2 CDS
Also NFS Carbon and Most wanted.
But some of them do not work properly anymore.

It would be great to play those games again
EA Shoudn't change anything at all
I would buy them 100x in my life if needed.

Message 36 of 36 (359 Views)