Re: Classic NFS games

by rcgldr

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Classic NFS games

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello, I think you might get this a lot but I was wondering if digital copies of previous Need For Speed entries would be possible. I've been hearing from a lot of fans of the NFS franchise about how much they admire games like Need For Speed Most Wanted(2005) and the Underground series. Obviously games like those are very difficult to purchase these days, as there aren't many official sellers anymore as well as the degradation of a CD/DVD copy, especially when were talking about over 10 year-old titles.

I think that many fans would highly appreciate a digital availability of the entries I've mentioned above. 

Anyway, thank you for your time. Have a nice day.

Message 1 of 36 (7,294 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@displace7 Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it on to the team to look into.

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 36 (8,161 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@displace7 Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it on to the team to look into.

Darko.png
Message 2 of 36 (8,162 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

CDs and DVDs, if not scratched, should last a long time (some specs state 100+ years, probably longer than there will be CD / DVD readers). NFS Carbon is the only NFS game made before 2008 where the online servers (for PC version) are still running, and that may stop at the end of this year. The online servers for any of the other older games were shutdown years ago, and there is no online activation so purchasing a used copy isn't an issue.

Undercover was the first NFS with online activation for a EA DVD version of the game (activation would be automatic with an Origin or Steam version). Shift 2 Unleashed requires sign in to unlock any additional "DLC" content like Limited Edition, but currently the unlock feature is broken and I don't know if EA will ever fix this. Origin and Steam stopped selling the Limited Edition of Shift 2, but online retailers still sell the DVD Limited Edition, which will be facing the same unlock problem (meaning a player won't be able to unlock the Limited Edition content, even though the player paid for it).

Message 3 of 36 (7,198 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It is a very big issue, especially if you are  a PC user. A lot of retailers in my town sell you hard copies of those old NFS games but none of them sell them to you on the PC. And a digital copy is much more convenient. Sure, discs do last long, but that is if they're properly stored and taken care of, which I doubt it to be the case with most of the people who bought them. The problem is that they cost about 40-50 bucks on sites like Amazon. They're great games, don't get me wrong, but taking into account that they're more than 10 years old and I've finished them multiple times, they're hardly worth that price. Most people had finished those games, if not they did get pretty far, you can't be expected to ask 50 bucks for a 10 year-old game. Maybe die hard, hardcore fans that value them greatly, but not for the content. 

I had finished Underground recently and I had also finished NFS 2015 a while back. I can't say that I had more fun with 2015. And I'm sure you'll agree, Most Wanted 2012 is out of the question.

EA came close to remaking their comeback from the early 2000s, but they didn't quite make it. Cars are not as popular as they used to be so it was predictable. The best remake that they had done was Hot Pursuit from 2010. Since then any and all attempts of replicating past entries had been just that, attempts.

EA could really turn a quick buck with this, those games are already developed, all that they would need to do is patch them so that they could run on current systems like windows 10. You could find patches from people who aren't EA employees that make those games run on W10. But I don't ant to get some bootleg patch from untrustworthy sources, I want to be able to get them from EA. Origin would be a huge advantage now.

Message 4 of 36 (7,174 Views)

★★★ Pro
Just too correct you, the NFS games from 2003 and above is not classified as classic games. They are too new for that, the only NFS games that are classic are those from the 90s. Those are the real true NFS, not that ricer AKA Fast and furious wannabe, but i dont blame you because you where probaly not born at the time when the real NFS started up in 94. Anyway all the NFS games from 1994-2007 you can get on Ebay. Atleast the american Ebay, i have bought my classic collection with NFS 2 3 4 5 even Hot Pursuit 2 from 2002. But i know they also have a bundle with Underground most wanted and Undercover too, that is the best tip i can get for you.
Message 5 of 36 (7,167 Views)

★ Guide

It's only a few of the older NFS games that are high priced. Underground 2 is one of them ($40 to $50 as posted). Underground 1 is less than $20. Most Wanted (2005) $20 to $30 (including some new copies). Carbon Collector's Edition used, less than $30 (I don't see any new ones at Amazon, only standard edition for around $55). Some of these titles are cheaper at ebay.

Message 6 of 36 (7,155 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Good, a 90s kid. You are right, I wasn't born in 1994, but rather 1998, so yeah, I didn't get to enjoy those. You really seem to not like the sort of pop culture from the early 2000s and I don't blame you, I'm the same today. The reason you chose not to play those, new at the time, NFS games is probably the same reason I choose not to play today's new NFS game that much. 

But why the hate, what's wrong with modifying cars? Trust me I prioritize the engine above all, but a bodykit and a spoiler/wing are gonna improve the looks, as well as aerodynamics. 

Cars with vinyls can look good as long as it's not a cheap job, of course. I am playing U2 right now and not all of the vinyls that the game offers you are bad, some of them look masterfully done. And this is true for the bodywork as well, as long as you're not going for cheap products, your car can look good.

And just to correct you as well, there is no such thing as "the real NFS", they are not really obligated by anyone or anything to do the same thing over and over again, just because you don't like the change it doesn't make it bad. They just chose a different angle, whereas older NFSs from the 90's were more Supercar centered NFSU and NFSU2 were more import sports car centered. I wouldn't put a spoiler/wing or a bodykid and some vinyls on a supercar, it's not necessary, they look flamboyant enough. If it's manufactured by the same company that makes the car, fair enough, otherwise, I wouldn't.

And I really doubt that the import racing scene at the time was influenced by F&F. I think it was more like F&F taking inspiration from it, rather than cause it.

I just don't understand people that hate any sort of rice on cars. Please, explain to me why is there so much hate for ricers. Why would a car with a very powerful engine and expensive and well made race inspired cosmetic enhancements be so hated? You can just ignore everything from above if you want, just give me an answer to this question.

Message 7 of 36 (7,154 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Let me ask you this, do you think these look bad?

Message 8 of 36 (7,149 Views)

★ Guide

classic are those from the 90s. Those are the real true NFS, not that ricer AKA Fast and furious wannabe

Only two of the NFS games focus on imports, Underground (RX7 is fastest) and Underground 2 (Corolla is best for races, 240SX for drag, Golf for drift). The fastest cars in the games before and after the two Underground games are mostly exotics.

Message 9 of 36 (7,136 Views)

★ Guide

I was wondering if digital copies of previous Need For Speed entries would be possible

My understanding is that EA relies on third party groups (at least partially) to create digital downloadable versions for some of the older games. I don't know if EA or the third party groups initiate the process it takes to add an older game to the Origin store. I also don't know if licensing is an issue if an older game is modified so it can be sold via Origin.

Message 10 of 36 (7,125 Views)