Well I actually bought the game just recently and the italian dlc aswell. I wont go away until its fixed, cause i payed for the game and its essencial that the autolog works.
I am not ignoring you on purpose. It is just that at the moment I don't have any further information to share about this issue. I currently cannot state if we are able to fix the issue or not because that is exactly what we are investigating.
At the same time I don't want to set false expectations; this is an older game and there is a chance that the Speedwall will no longer be updated.
Final: @EA_Najat has left the company somewhere in 2015.
I say that is enough to change the version of the game. I have a standard. let the other and everything will work. but I can not even buy it, because in our country is not sold another version.
Thanks for sharing some informations with us. To know that you guys are there and that you are trying something is all we expect.
But - sorry - it is hard to understand, that there is no solution for this. It worked before 15th of January. If you go back to that date and see what has changed there should be a Point where the error came up. Is there no beta-testing before an update goes public to see how games, that are connected to Autolog react? What about the creators of this game?
I really hope - and I think many others do so too, that you dont kill off NFS: The Run because of this. Okay, it is an old game, but others are older and still work fine.
"I really hope - and I think many others do so too, that you dont kill off NFS: The Run because of this. Okay, it is an old game, but others are older and still work fine."
What did @EA_Najat do int the past to fix this? U have to know something about the previous bug which got fixed. At least u finally answered @EA_Tom. Are the it experts running the game and looking into it? I hope you do understand, that WE are losing patience here, cause the problem is there since January 2016. Does the autolog work different for every NFS? There has to be a simple issue with it, cant really see why you guys are investigating for 2 months already. Could you give us an exact status what you did to investigate and where you staying atm please?
I am praying, that you are able to fix this. Its just like a server close without telling the community otherwise and we dont want to see that and i guess you guys from EA dont want to see that happen either.
@EA_Tom, hello! Can you give us an estimation about problem fixing? How long should we wait and should we wait at the end? I mean you programmers can say that: "Yeah, that's a tough problem, we (can't solve it) / (can solve it, but it takes ?? weeks) / (don't care)".