Skating in mud / turning is sluggish

by ldwootbfmgmo

Original Post

Re: Skating in mud / turning is sluggish

Community Manager

@ldwootbfmgmo 

Thanks. The connection to your router is great. However, the second hop and all the others, show really high worst times. That's going to cause you to lag and disconnect as it means your connection is fluctuating a lot. It's starting with the node in your neighborhood. It's quite possible that node is getting a lot of traffic right now with everyone staying home. Did this just start recently?

Aljo.png
Message 21 of 183 (2,318 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo Its always been doing this to me. I've really noticed it since midway last year before this social distancing thing.
Message 22 of 183 (2,316 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo If I'm up late at night I could run a trace then when its not congested.
Message 23 of 183 (2,316 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo Btw, what really gets my attention is the 100% packet loss on the 9th hop
Message 24 of 183 (2,313 Views)

Community Manager

@ldwootbfmgmo 

The 100% loss is just because that server isn't allowing pings. So, it's not actually losing packets. 

Do you live in a pretty congested area? Maybe an apartment complex or something similar?

Aljo.png
Message 25 of 183 (2,301 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo It's personal rent, only 5 suites in this building.
Message 26 of 183 (2,298 Views)

Community Manager

@ldwootbfmgmo 

In that case, I'd suggest contacting your ISP. Have a 100+ ping to your local node is really high.

Aljo.png
Message 27 of 183 (2,297 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo Shouldn't that affect skating in P2P as well, if it was the ISP? I'm just trying to use logic here. Sure the worst pings are bad but I'm usually around 40-55 ms when I play the game. I don't see how this explains that difference in responsiveness when playing P2P compared to dedicated servers. I will even ask my opponents where they are located for further confirmation, and compare pings. It doesn't make sense to me.

I am thinking there is something wrong with the dedicated servers, being user specific... if the pings are the same and still get difference in responsiveness to turning/skating between P2P and dedicated servers. The way it feels to me that this thing is not correlated to ping times. Some people get this issue as well but most players I am playing against in HUT or WoC have no issue.

I also know the difference between different latencies playing in P2P but the skating still feels good. Whereas in HUT or WoC no matter the latency the responsiveness in skating is bad.

What I've been saying all along is the pings don't correlate with this issue I am experiencing.
Message 28 of 183 (2,269 Views)

Community Manager

@ldwootbfmgmo 

What you're seeing is an average. Those worst pings are part of that average. When your ping is fluctuating so much, that's going to cause your connection to be unstable. You'll experience lag and possibly disconnects. Anything over 150ms is especially a problem.

Aljo.png
Message 29 of 183 (2,260 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Aljo The skating issue does not fluctuate, it is consistent. If it is on my part these pings should make my skating bad in P2P as well, should it not?
Message 30 of 183 (2,252 Views)