BE A PRO - CENTER stuck playing WING every game

by therockstardan

Original Post

Accepted Solution

BE A PRO - CENTER stuck playing WING every game

★★★ Novice

Product: NHL 21
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? BE A PRO Career as a "Center"
What happens when the bug occurs? My created player is a CENTER. I played through the entire Memorial Cup tournament as a Center...was drafted 1st overall....and since joining the NHL I have been stuck playing on either Left Wing or Right Wing EVERY SHIFT of EVERY GAME.....yet I am still getting challenges to win face-offs. Also, the Icon color above my player is always RED which generally indicates CENTER
What do you expect to see? In BE A PRO you should be playing CENTER if your primary position is CENTER....not stuck playing wing every game
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Offline
Insert Game Mode or Feature here BE A PRO
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) Every Day
What is your time zone? CST - GMT - 6:00
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? ROKSTAR DAN
PS4 Crash Reporting: Please copy the text you put in the crash report here.
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region.
What is your game language? English

Please fix! I'm tired of playing on the wing and would like to actually play my position. Thanks!

Message 1 of 42 (40,144 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Be a Pro mode can't play Center, get stuck as winger

Community Manager

This is actually by design because your player is not yet proven to overthrow the current center. Most rookies that are drafted as centers don't play center right away. Even if you move up to the first line, you won't bump great centers to the wing like McDavid. 

Blueberry.png

View in thread

Message 5 of 42 (39,991 Views)

All Replies

Re: BE A PRO - CENTER stuck playing WING every game

★★★ Novice

Same for me until the very last games of first season (i played a full season). I figured that the way the line stats are working now, my performance will put me on first line but i won't be put into center position until my overall rating is better than the other centers.

Message 2 of 42 (40,080 Views)

Re: BE A PRO - CENTER stuck playing WING every game

★★★ Novice

Same here. I still egt coaches tips about certain face offs - but I never get to do any face offs.

Why even chose position if you don't get to play it? I would understand if you'd get placed on wing if you performed poorly and have to priove yourself again - but I never even get the chance. 

Message 3 of 42 (40,067 Views)

Be a Pro mode can't play Center, get stuck as winger

★★★ Novice

Product: NHL 21
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Start new be a pro career and chose center as your main position.
What happens when the bug occurs? You never get to play as a center, you only get to play left or right wing.
What do you expect to see? Being able to play center
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Offline
Insert Game Mode or Feature here Be A Pro Career
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) always
What is your time zone? EST (IET) - GMT - 5:30
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? Guarddog32
PS4 Crash Reporting: Please copy the text you put in the crash report here.
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region.
What is your game language? English

Even though you chose to play center as your preferred position in Be A Pro career mode, you only get to play the wingers.

Message 4 of 42 (40,064 Views)

Community Manager

This is actually by design because your player is not yet proven to overthrow the current center. Most rookies that are drafted as centers don't play center right away. Even if you move up to the first line, you won't bump great centers to the wing like McDavid. 

Blueberry.png
Message 5 of 42 (39,992 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

This doesn't make sense since we still get coaches directions as if we were playing center. And also why would you let us set our primary and secondary position if you can't play it? I was center with LW as secondary position but Im always forced to play RW. Also, is be a pro a game mode that is meant for us to have fun or for it to be 100% realistic - because then we shouldn't get as much ice time as we do, There shouldn't be as much media interest in everything we do and the commentators should keep talking about us like we are the lord and savior. Very little in be a pro is 100% realistic why would you start with the position? I would understand that maybe if you got to pay center once in a while and play more if you prove yourself - but that's not how it is either. 

If this is for realism - at least give us the option to to change it. It's offline be a pro not competitive online. I'm an adult. I have a few hours a week that I get to play - I can't grind several years just to be able to play my position.

I suspect that you have a bug but you claim its a feature so you don't have to fix it. 

Message 6 of 42 (39,913 Views)

★★★ Novice

At the very least, the coach should recognize you as a Center and give you opportunities to prove yourself as a one. I would rather play Center on the 2nd or 3rd line than be stuck on a wing I have no interest in playing season after season. I'm an actual hockey player lol I know what I'm talking about here.

Message 7 of 42 (39,869 Views)

Community Manager
@therockstardan Feedback is fair. We've seen others mention they're not favorable of what direction the team took for this and passed along the thoughts. I suppose if you started in the position you wanted and if it was Sidney Crosby someone could say "Why would you start over him, he shouldn't be moved?", so it could go both ways but it's nice to have flexibility in what you want to do with your BAP mode. Maybe they will add an option in settings in a future update or title to let you choose, but as for the moment they went with the real life/simulation feel where you have to work your way up to prove yourself.
Blueberry.png
Message 8 of 42 (39,828 Views)

★★★ Guide

@EA_Blueberry wrote:
@therockstardanFeedback is fair. We've seen others mention they're not favorable of what direction the team took for this and passed along the thoughts. I suppose if you started in the position you wanted and if it was Sidney Crosby someone could say "Why would you start over him, he shouldn't be moved?", so it could go both ways but it's nice to have flexibility in what you want to do with your BAP mode. Maybe they will add an option in settings in a future update or title to let you choose, but as for the moment they went with the real life/simulation feel where you have to work your way up to prove yourself.

Just curious about that statement. If they supposedly went with the prove yourself path, then why do I overtake gibsons starting job when I’m a 74ovr goalie, that never posts a sv% above .900? Why do they start to favour an awful goalie over Gibson who’s proven to be one of the best in the game?

and this applies to literally every other game mechanic.. except for overtaking centre jobs. But you can play 1line minutes on the wing of Crosby, pushing down guentzel, when you’re a 73ovr even if you’re not scoring many points (a 73ovr shouldn’t be posting 70-120point seasons anyways, but in this “new” BAP mode, they seem to do it no matter what) 

so asides from having to prove yourself as a good centre man, you’re just handed 1st line minutes anyways since the game just gives you everything and forces you to be a superstar. 

There is almost literally nothing about “proving” yourself in this game anyway, you can put in minimal effort and be a superstar. 

there is no actual challenge to the game, because one of the key features, being drafted, is pointless now. You don’t have to work for it anymore. You play 2-4 games in playoffs and get drafted 1st if you get 4 points. 

Message 9 of 42 (39,809 Views)

Community Manager
@SkylerJames13 Completely understand your perspective. To be honest, it sonuds like you're a vet of the franchise and it simply isn't a challenge to you, which is what you're looking for. We also participate on the EA NHL forums where a lot of hardcore simulation players hang out. It would be cool if the team implemented a storyline that can shift on difficulty. Will pass up the feedback, but in terms of major changes to overhaul the current structure of the storyline I have not been made aware of any future plans.

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/
Blueberry.png
Message 10 of 42 (39,794 Views)