mass effect saves issue

by Minacrass

Original Post

Re: mass effect saves issue

★ Apprentice

I checked, and ME2 saves properly. It just doesn't want to import my ME1 saved game...

I have a feeling it's doing a similar thing we encountered, when ME1 didn't want to load the saved games that I borrowed from You before.

Message 61 of 73 (1,892 Views)

★ Apprentice

Also, I just want to make sure (in case it matters), I'm copying the save files of ME1 from:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\folder called "ogram Files (x86)igin Games

I don't know why the saves are there, because I remember we made the savePath = "D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\BioGame\Save", but there is no "Save" folder in the "BioGame"

Message 62 of 73 (1,880 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes I know, see my post after the solution. (Strange named folder in your Mass Effect\Binaries\folder) That's why I said it is a rather crude workaround.

And yes, it is the same problem, for some reason your games have a problem writing on your "C:\" drive.

Do you still have that "My documents folder at your "D:\" drive? If not create on.

exit Origin and make that folder to your standard Documents Folder

Relocate the "C:\user\user name\Documents\BioWare" folder, into the new folder at your "D:\ drive (Make a backup first)

Reboot

Make sure windows has the new folder as the standard Documents Folder (just save something in word or a similar program, the save dialogue should point you to the new folder)

Make sure your ME1 "Char" files are in the ME1 folder in "D:\my documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1"

> try

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 63 of 73 (1,866 Views)

★ Apprentice

Okay, I made the "My Documents" folder and followed all the instructions, I then made ME2 import the save files from

D:\My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1

The "Char" folder is there, and the "char" file is in that folder, but the game still doesn't really recognize it (meaning it shows the saved character in-game with just the level, and no description, but doesn't react when I click on "import")

Message 64 of 73 (1,853 Views)

You really have the demanding problems. Wink

Ok, lets test something exit Origin, set the save line in the ME1 "DefaultEngine.ini" back to "SavePath=..\BioGame\Save" without the quotes.

Save the file.

Open Origin and create a new ME1 character, name him differently from your other characters, Play until the game saves for the first time.

Normally that new character should be saved to your new standard save folder. (D:\My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save) Tell me if the save worked. 

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 65 of 73 (1,845 Views)

★ Apprentice

Before doing that I just want to say that for some reason (even though my default "My Documents" folder is now in the D: drive) when I made a new character in ME2 (just to check if the saving works), the game got saved into "C:\Users\name\My Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 2\Save" instead of the new "My Documents" folder

Message 66 of 73 (1,840 Views)

Ok, pleas follow this Guide.

Reboot afterwards, test if the game still saves in C:\ instead of D:\

Message 67 of 73 (1,837 Views)

★ Apprentice

Changing the DefaultEngine.ini line back to the default made the ME1 not save properly again xD

Message 68 of 73 (1,836 Views)

★ Apprentice

Okay, apparently there is something wrong with my "C:" drive, because once I redirected the "My Documents" file to the secondary drive, it was possible to import my ME1 character.

I don't know if ME1 would save properly now, but I just don't have the energy to go through the intro again hahaha :D

Once again, thanks for the help Standard smile

Message 69 of 73 (1,829 Views)

[ Edited ]

Minacrass schrieb:

I don't know if ME1 would save properly now, but I just don't have the energy to go through the intro again hahaha :D

Once again, thanks for the help Standard smile

After you set the "DefaultEngine.ini" back to it's original state It will, trust me. Standard smile Just copy the ME1 saves to  "D:\my documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save" and it will load and save. 

And you're welcome.

Message 70 of 73 (1,820 Views)