mass effect saves issue

by Minacrass

Original Post

Re: mass effect saves issue

★ Apprentice

I'm not sure myself, but there are no "mass effect" folders whatsoever. Only one other game of mine has a folder in "Drive:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\". 

The only "mass effect" folder is currently in "Drive:\Users\"name"\My Documents\Bioware".

I also ran Mass Effect 2 and 3. They both save properly, and they also have created their respective folders under "My Documents" not in "Program Files (x86)"

Message 21 of 73 (1,845 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, pleas search for a file named "DefaultEngine.ini", (There should be two on your System, one for ME1 and one for ME2) open the one for ME1 with a Text editor, press "STRG + F" Typ or copy "SavePath" (without the quotes) into the Box. > search.

Then tell my what the entire line  "SavePath=...) says.

Edit: Also tell me where this file is located.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 22 of 73 (1,835 Views)

★ Apprentice

Okay, so I found the file, found the text. I'm copying the whole paragraph just in case: 

+Extensions=sfm
+LocalizationPaths=..\BIOGame\Localization
SavePath=..\BioGame\Save
+SuppressMeansUnsuppress=False
DisableLogging=False

The "DefaultEngine.ini" file was in my separate drive (so not the one I have my Windows 7 installed on), in the destination which I chose for Origin to install my games, which is:

"Games" folder\Origin\Mass Effect\Biogame\Config

In case You wish for a comparison, this is how the "SavePath" paragraph looks like in the file for Mass Effect 2:

[Core.System]
MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC=80000 // Set for PC by debugf(TEXT("%i objects as part of root set at end of initial load."), NumAlwaysLoadedObjects);
// BIOSTART - Brent Scriver - April 18th, 2007 - Add cutdown paths
+CutdownPaths=..\BIOGame\CutdownPackages\BIOGame\Content
+CutdownPaths=..\BIOGame\CutdownPackages\BIOGame\__Trashcan
+CutdownPaths=..\BIOGame\CutdownPackages\BIOGame\Script
// BIOEND
+Paths=..\BIOGame\Content
+Paths=..\BIOGame\__Trashcan
// BIOSTART - February 9, 2006 - Blake Grant
+Paths=..\BIOGame\TestContent
// BIOEND
+Extensions=sfm
+Extensions=pcc
+LocalizationPaths=..\BIOGame\Localization
SeekFreePCPaths=..\BIOGame\CookedPC
SeekFreePCExtensions=pcc
SavePath=..\BioGame\Save
+SuppressMeansUnsuppress=False
DisableLogging=False
bEnableStreamingLog=FALSE
CookPaths=..\BIOGame\Content\Maps
// BIOSTART - October 16, 2009 - Devin Doucette - Verified scripts
VerifiedScriptPaths=..\BIOGame\VerifiedScript
// BIOEND

Message 23 of 73 (1,829 Views)

Do you run a original English copy or do you use a other language?

Change the line in the editor from "SavePath=..\BioGame\Save" to "SavePath=..\BioGame" save the file > Try saving the game.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 24 of 73 (1,824 Views)

★ Apprentice

I bought the game during my studies in Finland (I've moved to London UK since then), but all the games I bought there were always in English. My Origin language settings are on "English GB".

I changed the line in the editor, unfortunately still doesn't work.

Seems like my case is very persistent hahaha! :D

Message 25 of 73 (1,818 Views)

[ Edited ]

Minacrass schrieb:

Seems like my case is very persistent hahaha! :D

Too Right!

IMHO the problem is about your file structure.

So you have a “C:\ drive for Windows and a normal “Program Files (x86)” folder there, and a second drive (probably) “D:\” with a “Game” folder.

I would suggest the following:

1. Make a backup of all save games from your Origin Games (just in case)
  2. Close Origin (Right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close
  3. Create a folder directly into the root (direct under the Drive letter) of your second drive and name that folder “Program Files (x86)” (without the quotes.)
  4. Create a folder named “Origin Games” (without the quotes.) inside the “Program Files (x86)” folder you just created.
  5. Relocate the folders inside your "Games" folder\Origin” folder and the folders inside theOrigin Games” folder of your “C:\” drive into the new “Origin Games” folder.
  6. De install Origin from the Windows Control Panel.
  7. Reboot
  8. Make sure there are no “Origin” folders in “C:\Program Files (x86)” in “C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Local” and in “C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming
    To see the last two: Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View.
    To show hidden files and folders, mark "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".
  9. Reinstall Origin, Into the "Program Files (x86)” folder you just created. (on your second drive) Make sure you have the newest version.
  10. Open Origin, in the Menu top left corner click “Origin” > “Application settings” > “Advanced”
  11. Under “Your Games will be installed to the following location” Origin should already have the correct path to the “Origin Games” folder you created above. If not, set it manually.
  12. Inside Origin, go to “My Games” right click on the games > Repair Game. (Origin will only download a few files.)
  13. Try the ME 1 save function.

Message 26 of 73 (1,797 Views)

★ Apprentice

I did everything according to Your instructions Standard smile

During the installation of Origin, it showed me some error about "incorrect path" or something like that (I'm sorry, I don't remember anymore), but the software installed nonetheless.

Unfortunately the saving in ME1 still doesn't work...

Message 27 of 73 (1,789 Views)

Did you Changed the DefaultEngine.ini back to it's Original state?
If not do so.

Message 28 of 73 (1,781 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well actually after re-installing Origin in the new folder, it only let me "download" the game (which didn't actually download it, just installed), and then I used the "repair" function. After that the DefaultEngine.ini file was back to it's original state (meaning the saves didn't work with that).

I also tried changing that one line the way we tried before, but the saving still doesn't budge T_T

Message 29 of 73 (1,776 Views)

Minacrass schrieb:

Well actually after re-installing Origin in the new folder, it only let me "download" the game (which didn't actually download it, just installed)...

Yay, sorry about that, it was late here.

Lets try something different. Please go to your in game settings (At the start screen > Options > settings > Gameplay.) Disable "Auto Save" > Apply > Test

If it not works restart the game > Test, restart again sett "Auto Save" back on > Test > Restart > test.

If that not works, create a "Save" folder under your "second drive:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\BioGame" folder > Test.

Message 30 of 73 (1,761 Views)