how do i transfer my mass effect 1 character to mass effect 2 on pc?

by The_Host560

Original Post

Accepted Solution

how do i transfer my mass effect 1 character to mass effect 2 on pc?

★★★ Newbie

ive looked and seen many different ways to do this but none of them have been working for me, it might be due to the whole new launcher thing? can anyone help me?

Message 1 of 9 (2,308 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: how do i transfer my mass effect 1 character to mass effect 2 on pc?

★★★ Newbie

SO!!! turns out i was doing it wrong, i put the Save folder in the wrong area, changed where it was and now its working properly, thank you for your help!! Standard smile

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (2,243 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager
@The_Host560 Are you playing the Legendary edition or the older versions of ME1 and ME2?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 9 (2,289 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The older versions i believe, they dont say anything about the legendary edition

Message 3 of 9 (2,277 Views)

★★★ Guide

I assume you've tried the obvious?

From ME2 home screen, select "New Game".  Then "Import ME1 Character".

Does it not find any saves?

Did you check your ME1 save folder?  The default location is:

Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect\Save

Look for files beginning with "Char_"

If they are there, try moving them to:

Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect2\Save

(if that Save folder doesn't exist, make one)

There are alternate procedures as well.  Links to two:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=266765873

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-Mass-Effect-Games/PC-Importing-a-save-file-from-Mass-Effect-1/td-p/7...

If  you can't find any Save files that start with "Char_", either you moved folders to some other location, or you just don't have a complete ME1 game stored.

Note: you can even load someone else's game.  See:

https://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Message 4 of 9 (2,266 Views)

★★★ Newbie

ive tried the importing through the game, yes, it didnt see the saves, and i have tried moving the save over, ill try again though and see if maybe i did it wrong, i did start ME1 when it was on origin launcher and starting ME2 now with EA launcher if that messed with anything?

Message 5 of 9 (2,246 Views)

★★★ Newbie

SO!!! turns out i was doing it wrong, i put the Save folder in the wrong area, changed where it was and now its working properly, thank you for your help!! Standard smile

Message 6 of 9 (2,244 Views)

★★★ Guide

Glad to hear it is now working!

I'm not sure this is an EA App issue, but a lot of people are having Mass Effect series issues with this new launcher.  I do have it on my system (the Beta, from a long while back).  But I'm still using Origin until I no longer have that option, or it breaks something.  Why court trouble?

Message 7 of 9 (2,212 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Are these files from the original Mass Effect compatible with the Legendary Edition? No matter where I put my file (char_) from the original game, Mass Effect 2 in the Legendary Edition does not show it.

Message 8 of 9 (1,682 Views)

@prometheanascent 

The original trilogy ME2 & ME3 save files are compatible, the original trilogy ME1 save files you try to import use a diffident file format than the MELE ME1 game and are therefore not compatible.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 9 of 9 (1,655 Views)