Looking for help with this hair glitch [ME3]

by Dakota123765

Original Post

Looking for help with this hair glitch [ME3]

★ Novice
So I've had ME3 for a long time and I've gone through many phases of mod and texture downloads. But only recently did this issue crop up where the hair does this glitch I can't really describe. It's very noticeable in cutscenes. I have attached a link to a video showcasing the issue: https://youtu.be/rxfKJZYP5NE

In the video, you'll see the strange layering in the ponytail, and on the right side of the head is the main issue with the glitch, where it flickers or goes black depending on the angle.

At first, I thought it looked like two layers of hair battling over each other- and then I tried to approach it as a shading issue. Both avenues failed me. Eventually, I completely deleted my game and all the files attached to it, including the config folders with the GamerSettings, and did a reinstall. But alas, the issue was still there after a complete reinstall.

I have been struggling all day with what could be causing this. I am no expert in this field so I can only go off of what other people have mentioned online but have found nothing that is like my exact issue. If anyone has any idea on what this could be caused by, I would greatly appreciate the input.
Message 1 of 6 (1,187 Views)

Serious Hair issues. What is happening?

★ Novice

So a couple of days ago I posted about a problem with the hair in-game. And I mean just the standard hair you can choose from in character creation. I cannot for the life of me make out what is happening. It looks like different layers of hair pushing through each other, idk.

I've done some more exploring of the issue and decided to test out a modded hair to see if it still would have this problem, and yes it does. So both the standard default hair options AND modded hair are having this strange effect.

To me it almost seems like two different sets of hair- of drastically different quality- are appearing and are clipping through each other. But I can't think if that's actually what's happening or if it's just something really funky.

Things I have already tried: I have reinstalled the game already 5 times, completely nuking the folders with it each deletion. I have messed with the LOD settings in the GamerSettings.ini. I have completely erased the GamerSettings to make the game create a fresh one.

I've taken pictures of one of the modded hairs and what's happening with it in the hopes that someone who sees this can tell me what is happening. Any help or even just a possible suggestion would be appreciated. 

MassEffect3 2021-04-11 00-28-34-767.jpg
MassEffect3 2021-04-11 00-28-37-029.jpg
MassEffect3 2021-04-11 00-28-44-246.jpg

MassEffect3 2021-04-11 00-28-45-613.jpg

MassEffect3 2021-04-11 00-28-47-154.jpg

Message 2 of 6 (1,178 Views)

Re: Serious Hair issues. What is happening?

@Dakota123765 

Did you removed the "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame" folder as well at uninstalling?

What mods are installed?

How did you install them?

Did you edited your save games?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 3 of 6 (1,132 Views)

★ Novice

Yes I have. All files relating to the game have been deleted multiple times. At least all the obvious ones, I'm not sure if there are any hidden ones tucked away somewhere.

Originally I had a boatload of mods installed but I made sure they were all compatible. But after the reinstall, I had absolutely no mods. It was 100% a vanilla game and the problem was still there. A while back I attempted an ALOT install, but after having issues I gave up on it, so I wasn't sure if that failed install messed with something, but I figured after reinstalling that shouldn't have been a problem.

Most of the mods were installed with a simple drag-and-drop, the DLC kind. But a couple I had installed through Mod Manager, namely ME3Recalibrated.

No I have not edited my save games.

As a side note, I had a similar problem with ME2, but it wasn't nearly as noticeable so I didn't worry about it. But my friend recently suggested there might be a file in ME2 that ME3 is pulling from which is causing the problem. Idk if that has any actual basis, but I figured I'd bring it up just in case. And ME1 and ME2 do have ALOT installed.

Message 4 of 6 (1,124 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Dakota123765 

There are no files of ME2 that are used by ME3. 

You could use a third party software like "Revo Uninstaller" (the Freeware version) to make sure all files and Registry entries of ME3 are purged from your system.

But I think that this might be a graphical glitch unrelated to the game itself.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 6 (1,097 Views)

★ Novice

Well thank you for the tips, I appreciate it. 

Message 6 of 6 (1,082 Views)