Re: How do I open Crates in Mass Effect

by DoctorDAM

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How do I open Crates in Mass Effect

★★★ Newbie

Mass Effect game 2007. There is a blue circle around a crate which says "Open Crate". How do I do this please? I am playing on a PC with mouse and keyboard.

Message 1 of 7 (4,343 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

The default key for interaction is E in the original Mass Effect. (Note: This was changed to space bar in sequels and in the Legendary Edition.)

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 7 (4,282 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Guide

Do you mean which key?  The initial tutorials should walk you through that.  But if not...

Using your interact key (see escape>settings>controls for your key bindings settings).

Or do you mean you tried that, but you are locked out since not meeting the "decryption" check?

Decryption is used to open crates.  Depending on crate, it can be simple, average, or hard.  Your (or your squadmates) highest decryption level needs to be above the level to open that difficulty level.  So put points in your decryption, or your present squadmates (Tali, Garrus, Kaiden).

Early on, you may not have the ability to open some due to too few pts to put into decryption.

Message 2 of 7 (4,311 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you for your advice. I am playing on a PC with a two button mouse. There is no help tutorial and the key bindings are set to default. I have only just started playing and in the first mission you have to "Investigate Jenkins" the dead crew member on Eden Prime. With a blue circle on him all I can do is shoot him (left or right mouse button). It is the same when I approach a crew member to "Talk". - I shoot them. It is the same when I find the first crate on Eden Prime which says "Open Crate" - nothing happens without shooting it which does not help.

There must be a keyboard key to do these actions but I cannot find it. There is no help in the key bindings guidance for chat, open a crate or decryt something. I cannot get inside the building to get to the train station which is the next destination without decrypting the door lock!

Can you help me please?

Sophie.

Message 3 of 7 (4,294 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

The default key for interaction is E in the original Mass Effect. (Note: This was changed to space bar in sequels and in the Legendary Edition.)

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 7 (4,283 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

E key [Edit: see Fred_vpd's response.  And apparently, you do have the Legendary Editions, so it looks like it is spacebar]

Yes, there are plenty of keyboard commands you will need to use in the game.  You can find the manual online.  Heck, here's a post which will guide you there:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-Mass-Effect-Games/Mass-Effect-1-game-manual/m-p/268860/highlight/tru...

I attached a screencap of the key bindings page

[Edit: again, this is for the original game.  For MELE, I'd suggest getting it from the Origin client.  Click the gear setting near the Play button, select game properties, and there should be a link to the manual?]

You can also see them in-game:

escape>options>settings>controls

Also, on first playthru, you should have tutorial pop-ups.  If  not, go to the in-game settings:

escape>options>settings>tutorials>reset tutorials (and make sure they are on)

Message 5 of 7 (4,274 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you both so very much. It WAS the spacebar!

I played this game on my XBox years ago and thought it was the best game EVER so I was really looking forward to playing it all again on my PC and now it seems I can hopefully!

Love from Sophie.

XXX

Message 6 of 7 (4,248 Views)

★★★ Guide

Glad it worked for you.  Happy saving the galaxy!

Message 7 of 7 (4,229 Views)