Game runs poorly on Steam

by n7legiion

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect 3 STEAM FPS drops

★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Atic not sure how it can help, since performance issue with Origin overlay isn't new, but inability to turn it off on Steam version of games is. But ok.

Message 21 of 90 (3,049 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Atic

doubling kron

i think it's not on our side

my computer have 60fps in the witcher 3 on medium graphics

but if it could start finding a solution, it's fine

Message 22 of 90 (3,021 Views)

Re: Game runs poorly on Steam

★★ Novice

I have the same issue with the fps as well going from 60 down to 40 fps at times.  What makes it worse is I cant play the game through just origin now b/c ME3 is only showing up once and now i cant launch the game with Origin alone.  Andromeda is showing the Origin version and Steam version but ME3 is only showing one now.

Message 23 of 90 (2,978 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@RubyFlux wrote:

@EA_Atic

doubling kron

i think it's not on our side

my computer have 60fps in the witcher 3 on medium graphics

but if it could start finding a solution, it's fine

@RubyFlux You primary display adapter is an Intel GPU. There's a common issue with EA games where the games don't switch to the dedicated GPU. Make sure you force the use of the Nvidia GPU in the Nvidia control panel.

I don't have an Nvidia GPU myself, but the setting used to be under "Manage 3D Settings" and could be managed for individual programs. I don't know if this has been changed in more recent driver software.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 24 of 90 (2,959 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Fred_vdp 
Everyone runs a game on a video card from Nvidia, and it works terribly. It's absolutely not a chip from intel.

Message 25 of 90 (2,944 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've only played multiplayer so can't speak for the single player, but I get the following issues each time I launch the game:

1) Have to install OriginThin each time I click play

2) DLC is not recognised during startup, so I have to click repair via Origin to validate in steam then launch again

3) Now the game won't even load. I start the game up, Origin loads up but then nothing

This is such a terrible, buggy crossover. Sadly I can't get a refund since I have over 2 hours in game time. 

Message 26 of 90 (2,896 Views)

Hero

@Cyb3r1an wrote:

@Fred_vdp 
Everyone runs a game on a video card from Nvidia, and it works terribly. It's absolutely not a chip from intel.

I'm just mentioning it because if you run the game on a laptop with both an Intel and Nvidia GPU, the game will very often run on the Intel GPU unless forced to use the Nvidia GPU. This has been a very common performance related issue for a lot of EA's games.

I'm not saying that's definitely the case here (apparently there's a performance issue caused by an Origin and Steam conflict not allowing players to disable the overlay, which tanks performance), but I mentioned the Intel problem anyway because there's a good chance players other than you have this issue.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 27 of 90 (2,637 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yeah, it's not my computer either. I am equipped with a 2060 RTX Nvidia card along side with AMD Ryzen 7 and DDR4 RAM sticks. Every game I have on Steam launches smoothly and had no FPS drops or stutters. This game however remains the only game that runs very poorly despite my hardwares.

Message 28 of 90 (2,628 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Atic any updates? BTW we would not be mad if you fix it by removing Origin completely Wink ME1 and ME2 run without Origin

Message 29 of 90 (2,508 Views)

Re: Game runs poorly on Steam

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Yes i have the same FPS problem due to overlay.. I just tested my retail game with overlay turned off and the difference is NIGHT AND DAY.

The retail version without overlay keeps at very stable and smooth 60 FPS, while steam version with forced overlay dips to 20s.

You don't need to go any further, just launch the very first map (Firebase Dagger) in private session and run around the map.

The game will take a nosedive to 20s.. This is unbearable.

Such a nice game ruined by such poor execution !

Please make "in-game overlay" setting in OriginThinClient count ! We need a WORKING option to disable origin overlay. And before you might ask, yes ive disabled steam overlay in game's properties.

I see some people attaching dxdiag.txt. I might do it as well. @EA_Atic 

Message 30 of 90 (2,450 Views)