The State of MUT 19

by lukeatex786

Original Post

The State of MUT 19

★★★ Newbie

I'd like to start this post by saying I know nobody will read this and that there will be absolutely no recourse from EA because of this post. Certainly nobody of any importance at EA will read this and would likely not care even if they did. With that being said, I love madden ultimate team (mut) and I've been playing it since its advent in Madden 10. Say what you want about "loving" a video game, but I do love this game (and football in general). Since I have no power or influence over anybody at EA, the only thing I can do to make a point is use my voice. And I plan to do so right now. 

Let's start with by far the worst part of mut, the matchmaking. We all know how terrible the matchmaking is in this game. For about the last 3 months my team has grown from an 80 overall team to a 90 overall team. No matter how good or bad my team is, I'm constantly getting matched with players who have teams made up almost entirely of 99 overall cards. I don't really care how good you are at madden, I don't think anyone has the skills to beat a 99 overall team with a group of 85 overall players. Making players that have a 85 overall team play others who have 98 overall teams is clearly not fair. The entire point of mut is to build a team and win super bowls (in seasons). The problem here is that winning super bowls when you play 8 of your 10 regular season games against teams loaded with 99 overall players isn't really possible (thereby defeating the entire purpose of the game). Winning seasons games should come down to skill, not who can put the most money on a credit card. This brings me to my second biggest issue with the game..... microtransactions.

Matchmaking is terrible, no doubt about it. But it's the microtransactions that allow matchmaking to be as bad as it is. Forcing "no money spent" people to go up against "hundreds of dollars spent" people is outrageous and entirely unjustifiable. People now understand that (because the matchmaking is such garbage) they can simply win championships by spending a lot of money on microtransactions. Over the years more and more people have started to do this, causing an imbalance in "no money spent" people and "pay-to-win" people. For those of you who are like me (grind the solos, scour the auction house, build sets like crazy, etc) you understand what I'm talking about. For those of you who "pay-to-win" I have absolutely no issue with you. You are taking advantage of an unfair system that EA has created, and I can't blame you for that. The problem does not lie with you. The problem, however, lies with the people running this game that have created such a system in the first place. Such a system allows for people who put 300+ hours into the game to be routed by someone who's played for 20 hours (buying and opening packs for 10 of them). This system has made this game almost completely unplayable for people like me. The relationship between microtransactions and matchmaking, as I've laid it out, has made it virtually impossible to progress in the playoffs (let alone win super bowls) and has contradicted the entire purpose of this game, bringing it to the brink of collapse.

Before I submit this post I have one final message for the people who make madden: you must change this game. Through the years you have made many excellent changes to this game. You have improved and enhanced this game in ways I didn't think were possible. You have created a game that me and thousands of people LOVE to play....... but you are ruining it. I can assure you as well, I am not the only person who feels this way. You've taken a game that I used to love so much and turned it into something that is almost completely unrecognizable. You are a business, and I understand that. I know you want to make the most money you can and I can't blame you for trying to do that. However, your greed for money has come at a cost. You've gone from having a fan base that loves and supports you, to one that resents you. You've gone from having a game that's beloved by all, to one that's beloved only by people who spend hundreds of dollars on it. You made a decision to turn your back on your loyal customers in an attempt to increase your company's profits. I can't speak for everyone, but there was a time when I would've spent $100 on the newest version of madden. I truly loved your product. Now, I'm not sure you could pay me to play the next version of madden. I hope you're happy with the decision you made, because I promise you, your loyal customers are not.

Message 1 of 4 (540 Views)

Re: The State of MUT 19

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Preach brother. [Edit - Admin.] I feel you man. It’s now a game for whoever wants to spend the most money. For those of who have played Madden for years (since the late 90’s for me), I cannot express how utterly pissed off I get thinking about the capitalistic state of Madden.

Message 2 of 4 (446 Views)

Community Manager

@lukeatex786 

Thank you for your constructive post, feedback on areas we could improve upon are always welcome.

barry.png
Message 3 of 4 (435 Views)

★ Apprentice
Editing out the truth, Barry... tsk, tsk...
Message 4 of 4 (418 Views)