Major lag spikes while playing.

by beadk

Original Post

Major lag spikes while playing.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Dont know if i should put it under bugs or here under technical.

While playing Madden NFL 19, i have major lag spikes, both with the game itself, controlling the players, and the sound aswell. Have tried turn down graphics, turning of sound, and everything else i have been able to do. As it is atm, for me it is unplayable, do to the lags coursing me to miss time crucial moments, such as cut and the like.

Sound also lag while just in menu, but able to hold it out, put still not fun

What im running in my computer.

Windows 7, fully updated 64 bit.

Intet(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

DirectX 11

20 GB ram

Game installed on a normal harddrive, but with over 1.5 tb of free space

Message 1 of 16 (1,485 Views)

Re: Major lag spikes while playing.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

EDIT: Scratch everything below,  it should work fine on Windows 7.

I believe this game requires Windows 10/DX12 to run properly,  minimum requirement.

I didn't think it would even work on Windows 7.

Message 2 of 16 (1,466 Views)

Community Manager

@beadk

If the below troubleshooting steps do not help you then please post your Dxdiag report here, there may be something in there that will point us in the right direction, thanks.

Dxdiag: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Troubleshooting:

• Try a clean boot before starting the game: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
  • Download and install any available Windows Updates
  • Check that your video drivers are up to date
  • Run System File Checker to ensure the integrity of your Windows System files: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
  • Your machine may be defaulting to your Intel video processing on your CPU rather than your GTX 1060:
  1. Open the nvidia Control Panel
  2. Click Manage 3D settings
  3. Click the Program Settings tab
  4. Click the Add button
  5. Select the game from the list or click browse and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Madden NFL 19\Madden19.exe
  6. Select Madden19.exe and then Open
  7. Customise individual settings if you like
  8. Exit nvidia control panel and try playing.
barry.png
Message 3 of 16 (1,437 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Trying the above steps, and double checking both windows update and drivers again today, didn't give any updates, and didn't fix the lagging problem either Have added my DxDiag to the post

Message 4 of 16 (1,430 Views)

Community Manager

@beadk

It looks like there may be motherboard driver updates available as you have some from 2014.

Can you check for any of those and let us know if that update helps, specifically regarding the audio issues you mention.

Additionally, it may be worthwhile changing some graphics settings as they can have a significant performance impact.

barry.png
Message 5 of 16 (1,421 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Have tried updating what i could with the motherboard, but the lag is still there, and specially on the sound side, both music in menu, and sound when playing the game. Also tried turning the graphics down to the most basic of settings, and still getting lags picture wise.

Message 6 of 16 (1,413 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Having same issue as OP though i would describe the problem more like very frequent & heavy stuttering. Heavily impacts sound and sometimes outright kills all the sound effects for a few seconds too. Menu's aren't too bad but music does sometimes stutter. Franchise menu is the worst (because of the in game office in the background i guess). Stuttering is at its worst just after i snap a play, especially a running play, and when a player is tackled (that's when the sound is most likely to cut out entirely).

I also tried configuring every option and nothing makes much difference at all. FPS counter says i am constantly around 60 with no serious dips at all regardless of if i select ultra or low settings.

My specs are same as OP except i have an Nvidia 1080 and installed on SSD storage.

Message 7 of 16 (1,391 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have this as well. Windows 7 too. However, all the graphical stuttering goes away when I disable all of my audio devices.

Message 8 of 16 (1,267 Views)

Community Manager

@zimbomonkey1@beadk@Snipeman2512

Can you guys let us know if resetting your sound format (sample rate/bit depth) defaults has an effect here?

1. In Windows, search for 'Manage audio devices'
  2. Click on the control panel item
  3. On the playback tab, make sure the correct device is set as default and then select it and click Properties
  4. On the Advanced tab, click the Restore Defaults button
  5. Click Apply and ok then retest playing the game
  6. Let us know here how this goes.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 9 of 16 (1,251 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Barry That button is greyed out, i think because it's already using default settings.

As zimbomonkey said disabling all the audio devices does resolve 99% of the graphical stuttering for me too.

Message 10 of 16 (1,241 Views)