Re: Legacy defending vs Tactical defending. What do you think?

by mikielaw77

Original Post

Legacy defending vs Tactical defending. What do you think?

★★★ Novice

So i've been playing fifa for a long time. And since i started i've had a friend that's been playing with me, since at least fifa 06. 

Now the thing i want to get an opinion from the community on is this. "Is Legacy defending OP Against Tactical defending"

Myself i play online, my friend doesn't. 

Since i play online i'm used to playing tactical defending.

My friend plays with Legacy Still, and end up just pressing two buttons to make two players constantly sprint at me and tackeling me for him.

The constant preasure of having an popnent that is just as good at the game as you, but so used to legacy Defending that it feels like i'm playing two guys that is constantly rushing me makes it feel like i can eighter press L1 + Triangle for a trough pass. Or pass the ball around tikka takka style. Which usually ends up with my team missing 50% of my passes and i get no where with my attacks.

i've never played a person online that can defend with preasure like that before, and therfor concluding that this style of defending is massively overpowered over tactical defending.,

To me it feels like i'm playing a person that barely thinks about posision on he's defenders, only constantly pressing two buttons to get tackles and ending up with the momentum going massivly in he's favour, winning the match solly by being op in defense. But he denies that it's easyer with legacy defending and just clames to be way better because he wins the majority of the matches we play.

So, do you have any expirience with thise two styles of defending put up against each other?

And if so, what is your opinion on it. i'm open for everyones answer since i just feel it's unfair. Maybe he's just the best defender in fifa i've played.

Message 1 of 13 (82,218 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Hey everyone. im having a lot problem with my defense with all my players when I'm playing tactical defending and my friends playing with legacy defending .
When we are playing tactical defending 90% of the games I'm the winner, but when he change form tactical defending to legacy defending he going to win most games and I can't control my player at all..
Please tel me what should I do.
How about if me and my friend playing same stael legacy vs lagacy is that work like that
Message 2 of 13 (80,647 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Honestly bro, you are not the only one feeling frustrated that EA still keep the Legacy Defending option. I struggle with winning opponents using Legacy but i some how still manage to win but it is really exhausting and tires out my hands so quickly that i can't play as much games as i use to play. However, regarding the bragging rights, just tell your buddy to even reach Div 5 in online season before he can compare himself to you or just avoid playing him until he go learn how to use Tactical defending. One more thing that might help is i switched up my controller buttons to defend like Legacy with the double team but still using Tactical defending. Here is how, go to controller setting and push R2 till you get to the Defence buttons, swap R1(teammate contain) for O (Tackle/Push or Pull) button on PS4 console. It is kinda hard to use at first but when you get used to it, you'll be fine. I hope this ease your frustration and you are back to kicking * LOL

Message 3 of 13 (79,640 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I play Fifa since 1998. i tried both methods to see what the diferences. My friends hate playing with tactical defendning! For me legacy difendning isnt easier than tactical. A profi player can use skills to avoid legacy defendning in almost 99%. The fact that only 20% percent of fifa players know what skill and when is the right moment to use it against legacy defendning, makes tactical defendning seems more easier. One other reason that my friends hate tactical  defending is  gameplay is much more unrealistic than legacy. When you see a match in TV what do you see??? A player in 70% runs quickly to an oponent to tackle with any way take the ball. With tactical you see a basketball gameplay.... dont touch me becouse is faul!!!! Is ridiculous gameplay becouse realism is missing! I saw a mach yesterday in youtube  Fifa Final 17. 2 great players played with tactical defending. I didnt enjoyed the match.I saw just passing and passing all over again and some goals by accident of defence. If tou take these 2 class players and force them playing with legacy defending,i assure you they will not pass  5th division.

In conlusion i understand why Fifa exclude legacy defending from online playing! With tactical defence in a 8 minute gameplay you will see more goals rather than ending a match 0-0. For me is one thing clear......there are players who want realism than a big show!!! Im one of them and therefore a said bie bie to online games....i prefer play with friends gathering after work in my house.

Message 4 of 13 (78,954 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Tactical is for the player who, understands football and really tries to make the vr experience as tho you were lookin at a live match.....in order to win balls on defence one must analise opponents attack an cut passing lanes just like Reality......plane talk tactical is for players......legendary is for gamers......

Message 5 of 13 (63,430 Views)

★★★ Newbie

If u both use legacy u would beat him.. I use tactical to play my friend that uses legacy his aggression is too much I don’t have time to think on d ball but I still beat him but it’s difficult cos no much thinking time cos of d aggressive marking

Message 6 of 13 (55,789 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

L egacy defending is a joke I play tactical an it’s not faire ea need to get rid of it if you play legacy u might as well just let ea play for you the difference is legacy is for kids ea tackle an block for you plus they hit the ball any were an it goes to there player never seems to bounce of them an 50 to ball always win they should only let tlegacy players play legacy when they say old school Fifa what they mean is we will do most of the work for you only losers play legacy on line it’s embarrassing if there’s no advantage why don’t ea allow it in there compotions 

Message 7 of 13 (49,480 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

9 out of 10 u will lose I play tactical the difference is legacy ea tackle an block for you u will find they hardly foul an they hit ball any were an goes to them ur friends are playing on the kids level it’s not fare ea should only let legacy play against legacy but they won’t as they need to sell the game  if legacy doesn’t help u then why does ea. It allow it in there competition 

Message 8 of 13 (49,477 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

U funny u if legacy defending isn’t easier why dont ea let people use it in there compotion legacy ea tackle an block 4 u plus it harder to fouls as ea are doin it 

Message 9 of 13 (49,474 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Advantage with legacy is that when tackling opponents the AI aids the player to get to the player with the ball aggressively, however, it doesn't always workout cos if you aren't directly heading towards the ball, you wouldn't be able to get the ball.

Then comes tactical defending which allows you to position the tackling player in the predicted path for which a ball may be passed or for which the player with the ball is going to take. Frustrations with this type of defense is that you always need to be putting players in positions to avoid been beaten defensively.

Personally, I have resulted in using tactical against people who use tactical and legacy against legacy.

I particularly found it excruciatingly difficult using legacy against people who use tactical and are good with well timed skilled dribbles. The defense tends to be a nightmare when playing against such people. The game just seems so scripted and allows too many open spaces in your defensive structure.

In conclusion, I think 🤔 EA should come out with a third option for people like me where you could have both legacy and tactical combined as a style of defense. Cos there are moments in game where you could rush out to tackle aggressively and there are moments where you would have to be conservative to win the ball. This i believe would make the game more realistic.

Message 10 of 13 (33,803 Views)