Re: FIFA Ultimate Team for children

by leipappa

Original Post

Accepted Solution

FIFA Ultimate Team for children

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

My son, aged 11, just got FIFA17 for PS4 as a present. He would now like to play FIFA Ultimate team. Seems like something he should be able to do - no adult content that I don't want him to see. However, I would like to be in control of how many FIFA points he can buy on a monthly basis.

I see that both the Origin account system and the PSN account system allow you to create child accounts. "Great", I thought - just what we need. 3 hours later after one of the worst possible user experiences I have ever seen (and I've seen a lot), I realize that the ONLY way for my son to play FIFA Ultimate team is to let him use MY PSN account and MY Origin account.

- I cannot link my child's PSN sub-account to his Origin account because this is not allowed by EA

- I can also not use my child's Origin account when I have logged into FIFA 17 with my own PSN account.

Can you please explain to me, dear EA, what the intent of this design is? How do you intend for 11 year olds to play FIFA Ultimate Team? Or did you not design for that? Seems strange given the game's rating. This frustrating experience seems to me a complete misinterpretation of COPPA or other privacy policies. Or was it just too difficult to design an experience for kids that actually worked? Please let me know what your best practice for kids and FIFA Ultimate Team is since I will then need to figure out how I can let my son play the game...Oh, and by the way, what do I tell my 9 year old when HE wants to play FIFA Ultimate team using a different account? "Sorry, not possible"?

Thanks,

Steffen

Message 1 of 19 (22,574 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hey all,

Apologies for bumping a very, very old thread but the information contained above is no longer applicable as EA/Origin allow you to manage parental controls through console settings via the Xbox and PlayStation parental account controls now. If you would like more information on how to set up a Child account to link up with your console you can find out how right here.

For questions relating to the Xbox and PlayStation parental controls we have an article here that should answer most common questions.

Thanks!

EACade

View in thread

Message 12 of 19 (16,997 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

Hi @steffenballe

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, it will not be possible for your sons to play FUT on their own accounts. You need to be over the age of 13 to use the EA Sports online services.

Regarding the rating of the game is done by an independent entity and is generally only based upon the content of the game. For instance Violence or other references.

Thank you

EAGuy

---------------
Please make sure to Accept Solutions and give XP when someone has provided you with assistance.

I don't respond to Help Requests sent via Private Message.
Message 2 of 19 (22,476 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have the exact same problem with two sons aged 9 and 11. You did not answer why you need to be 13. What content prevents my kids to play FIFA Ultimate Team?

Message 3 of 19 (22,327 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did you ever get a resolution for this?

My sons are 11 and 9 so we now have the same problem with FIFA18.

Message 4 of 19 (21,500 Views)

★★ Novice
Exactly the same issue here. As a parent I decide whether the content for my children is appropriate. I deem ultimate team is fine (which I bought him for Christmas). He’s 10yo and also now we have this exact same issue.

I do not want him to have to use my account which really is a mockery of any child permission in place by a provider.

Was there any sensible resolution?
Message 5 of 19 (21,141 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

The game is rated 3. Yes, there are some other games that are rated 16 for ea, but what is so bad about playing fifa ultimate team?

Why you have to be thirteen is the question.

Message 6 of 19 (20,773 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
This issue is annoying me in FIFA 19, my son cannot play FIFA online unless I let him play under my account. Then play-time restrictions do not apply.
Message 7 of 19 (19,775 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Exactly the same issue! Even with a (very) wild imagination I simply cannot think of anything my kids are not allowed to see or experience playing Fifa18/19/20. My son is a huge fan of the game, saved up for buying fifa20 today ... this is so disappointing for him, and it makes no sense at all.

Resetting the PS4, making all new accounts everywhere? Wouldn't even help as I have more kids then 1 and they all want to play FUT...

So what's the use of parental controls if one cannot use it to control children's access the way a parent decides?

Message 8 of 19 (18,697 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

EA Games still not bothered to address this in FIFA20 - absence of any concern for child protection but willing to take the money.

Message 9 of 19 (17,752 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So - the solution here seem to be to delete the child account and create a new one where I lie about the age...? Great work EA!

Message 10 of 19 (15,721 Views)