Sudoku for iOS

by adkreb

Original Post

Re: Sudoku for iOS

★★★ Newbie

I think Sudoku Joy works pretty good - -   one of the free versions even includes scanning in puzzles from the newspaper et al.  

Message 21 of 35 (1,692 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This thread took a lot of finding…

I agree with others who've said that EA Sudoku is the best version of Sudoku on the App Store. (Well, it was on the App Store until very recently…) Apologising for "inconvenience" when it ceases to work after an OS update is not an appropriate response. Being unable to play this version of Sudoku is not remotely inconvenient to me; it causes me no trouble, difficulties or discomfort. It is, however, deeply aggravating, frustrating and disappointing.

I love this version of Sudoku, as do many other people, I'm sure. It was this implementation that got me into Sudoku in the first place, and I've tried loads of other versions. None of them is as nice as this one. I've spent many hours with it, and I want to be able to continue to do so.

Making the "old technology" claim is feeble. Yes, software needs maintenance from time to time, and sometimes it may be relatively drastic. Sometimes you have to rewrite a portion to use a different library or API or whatever. But all it takes is a bit of will. To claim that it can't be done is glib and fatuous. Given EA's recent track record, presumably the will isn't there largely because the Sudoku app wasn't an endless cash sink: you bought it and could play it as much as you liked, whereas many recent EA games exist to extract money from you endlessly via in-app purchases.

Anyway, I first bought EA Sudoku on my old iPod 5G. It was fantastic, and I was delighted when it later reappeared on the iOS App Store; I bought it again there as soon as I saw it. Then I played it on my iPod touch and later on my iPhone. Now I've just got an iPhone 5s and am most disappointed to find that it doesn't work any more, and has vanished from the App Store, which presumably means that EA isn't interested in fixing it.

The 'technology change' in moving from click-wheel iPods to iOS must surely have been FAR greater than that needed to move from iOS 6 to iOS 7. Come on, EA: PLEASE show us some loyalty and commitment, and do the work necessary to update this great game for modern devices. After all, if you really MUST, there's an opportunity for IAPs in this game too, in the form of extra Sudoku puzzle packs. (Though I personally really deplore most IAPs and I totally avoid freemium titles. I don't like to be nickel-and-dimed.)

Sudoku for iOS has been left to rot for far too long in any case. There was no support for retina displays, so the graphics looked disappointing on anything from an iPhone 4 onwards. There was no support for iPad, so one had to go down the ugly 2x scaled-screen route there. And there wasn't even (as far as I know) any support for the new, taller iPhone 5 screen.

What we need is a good, comprehensive update of the game that makes it Universal (iPod/iPhone and iPad), provides full support for all screen sizes (retina, non-retina; 3.5" screen iPhones; 4" screen iPhones; iPads), and obviously makes it compatible with iOS 7 and future devices.

I wouldn't even mind buying it again, if the new version is a substantial update with support for new devices. Heck, you could even do separate iPhone/iPad versions, priced individually, rather than a Universal version.

This is, as I say, the best version of Sudoku (formerly) on the App Store, despite the vast numbers of alternatives, and it's a crying shame to just drop it. Come on, EA; please do the business and rewrite this superb game as necessary for the modern range of devices.

How about it? Will it happen? Any idea of a timescale? I'd love to hear a definitive answer. Or at least, anything meaningful that does more than express a mealy-mouthed apology for my supposed "inconvenience".

Message 22 of 35 (1,679 Views)

My EA Sudoku game that I PAID EA for does not work with the new iPhone iOS7 operating system...so I guess I'm out of luck? Is there another version that works with the iOS7?????

★★ Newbie

Message 23 of 35 (1,664 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I completely agree with everyone else's plea.  Saying it's imcompatible with IOS7 is such a cop out.  Are you saying you got your money from the original buyers and you're done with them?  If that's your business approach, then I will drop all of my other EA games (Windows, game consoles and IOS7 devices).  Will I purchase anymore.......of course not.  Make a customer happy and they keep coming back.  Piss them off and they say adios.  How much effort would it take to rewrite the code and let us update it again?  If you're working on an update now...just let us know so we'll shut up and keep looking for the update.   If not, why not take the step to do so.  Don't you want to be known as the company that listens to it's customers?  Don't you want to have the best SUDOKU IOS7 game out there?

Message 24 of 35 (1,596 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The game does not work any longer. We bought a EA product and it does not work.

EA has to fixe it or reimburse the product.

Saying you are not responsible is so easy. Your products have to work. We should not have to debate on that point. This is not obvious for EA ?

Apologize is not enough. We just want the game to work.

Message 25 of 35 (1,535 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You apologize ?! But not fix the problem ?1   How LAME

No more EA purchases for me until you fix the best Sudoku app available.

Message 26 of 35 (1,483 Views)

Sudoku for iOS

★★★ Newbie

Is there a way that I can be notified if Sudoku is rewritten for iOS?  I miss it!!

Message 27 of 35 (1,429 Views)

Re: Sudoku and IOS7

★★★ Newbie
Please it has been 3 months waiting for you to release a new sudoku even if we have to pay. I have not upgrade my iPhone because I do not want to lose your sudoku. I even bought a new iPad and did not upgrade just so I could get your old sudoku. Hopefully you hear how the world loved your suduko and we can not find another we like.
Message 28 of 35 (1,372 Views)

Re: Sudoku for i

★★★ Newbie
Ok, this has officially made me mad!!! They won't update the app for Apple iOs...but they will sell it for on a Kindle...? What gives EA??? For doing the search for finding this "Help forum" i found a link on Amazon for buying it for a Kindle...REALLY EA, I mean REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!
Message 29 of 35 (1,346 Views)

[Sudoku Classic] Game not loading

★★★ Newbie
I'm trying to find out what has happened to my Sudoku game. I purchased it off the Ap store. It has the icon of sudoku in red, white, and black. When I select the icon, on my devise, the ap opens to a pitch black screen. On my iPad it shows nothing but the sizing option in the lower right corner. There is no ability to do anything. This holds true for my cell phone. I have searched iTunes and can't find this icon. I have purchased several other sudoku APS--but they are nothing when compared with your program. Have you discontinued this ap? Please advise. Sincerely, Judy McWilliams.
Message 30 of 35 (1,045 Views)