[Rivals] EA Mobile game

by Atreid

Original Post

[Rivals] EA Mobile game

★★★ Newbie

Hey guys,

I normally would not care about posting and just uninstall the game but truth be told, I think Rivals has the foundation of a very fun game. So that's why I wanted to share my feedbacl with the devs, in the off-chance they would read it.

I'll start by saying that in the early game, Rivals is extremely fun and addictive. Very fast duels that are quite fun. Now, I am the kind of players that will pay for microtransactions only if I feel like the biz model is a fair one. I want to spend my money to reward the Devs from doing a good game, not because I am being punished if I don't spend money. Unfortunately, as soon as I reached level 10 and Gold 3, that's when I just simply stopped winning because I leveled up without buying anything so far and my highest unit is 6. So even when I encounter level 7 rare units (and sometimes level 8, there is absolutely nothing I can do and I just want to move to a different opponent and a new game. But now it started to happen 5 or 6 times in a row, so I just decided to stop playing.

The Cap system is completely useless since there is so much difference if your unit is one level higher than your opponent. In a game based on pouring out units and countering your enemies units, if your opponent has a level advantage, he doesn't have to care as much as you do about unit positioning. And also, you will lose the Attrition war because he will end up with better map domination by simply positioning his highest units in the middle of the map and then move forward slowly.

So  anyway, today was the last straw that broke the camel back as they say. I lost 5 ranked matches in a row to opponents with 1 or 2 units level higher than me. I even managed to almost beat some guy who had level 8 units. He was pretty bad because it took a long time for him to win, but in the end, his level advantage was too hard to counter.

Because I like the game, I will check the updates once in a while to see if the biz model changes at any point. If it remains the same, I wish you guys all the best but I will not be part of it.

Cheers,

Message 1 of 5 (368 Views)

Re: [Rivals] EA Mobile game

★★★★★ Guide

Hello @Atreid,

Thanks for posted your feedback. I'm not a Dev, but I've got a few words I can share with you as well.

You aren't alone. You are a victim of the "participation trophy" crowd that has been a vocal minority of the game, crying about every challenge match and then some. In short, challenge matches and win streaks while they both sound GREAT on paper, have a very real and very adverse affect on the game. Your matchmaking is based on medals. Winning a challenge battle gives you double medals. While it SEEMS like this is a good reward, in essence, the reward for you beating a hard opponent is... facing harder opponents. Do this enough times, as well as play the game beyond the intended 10 games a day (5 for each faction) and you have a very high chance to inflate your medals to a point your army levels cannot support. 

HOWEVER, there is good news! Beginning next Monday, we will be going through a league wipe. This will reset your progress, and give you a small bump based on your progress achieved. This should more or less put you back where you belong so you can enjoy the game again. These wipes will happen on the first monday of every month from here on out. 

So how can you avoid this happening in the future? Don't ever win a challenge battle, and if you get a 3 game streak, throw the 4th game on purpose to A) end the streak and B) shed those excess medals you earned. Kind of a crappy way to do it and will definitely slow your league progression, but this will prevent your medals from getting inflated and ruining your game experience. 

So take a break, and collect yourself, or stick with it for another week and see if you can push any farther or upgrade your army. Your call. Either way, hopefully you are able to come back and enjoy the game again.

Any questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

-Batt

Message 2 of 5 (264 Views)

★★★★ Guide
thats kinda dumb to say to someone
throw matches, loose often what kind of advice is that esp for a game that rewards you winning
ya he might have progressed too fast it happens but dont tell someone to loose esp when the resets are every month now
Message 3 of 5 (237 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
oh you would prefer he just quits? Yea, I suppose that is the better alternative for you isn't it.

The developers are making progress, now you don't have to throw challenge battles since they reward exp, but I'd still recommend throwing your 4th game during a winning streak unless you want to climb matchmaking tiers. But slowly we are getting there =)
Message 4 of 5 (233 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

2cents:

First, it's very possible to rapidly outgrow your unit levels, to the extent that it makes a difference (although these days the devs are not stretching the truth when they say that strategy > leveling up). I reached that plateau myself a while ago. It just means you'll have to lose for a while until you can level up your units again + learn more about the meta/higher tier strategies. Wink Then you'll start winning more, I promise!

Second: I'm sorry you lost 5 matches in a row. When I reached the plateau mentioned above, I lost dozens in a row. I won maybe a couple matches for a month or two. It's a game. I know it's not too fun to lose, but that's how games work, you can't win all the time. It's about having realistic expectations. You'll always be unhappy with the game if your expectations don't match the reality.

That could sound harsh - I do apologize if it comes off that way. But I think you have a right to know it like it isStandard smile

Message 5 of 5 (226 Views)