Re: how can I play harry potter and the sorcere's stone in windows 10?

by ivrognard

Original Post

Accepted Solution

how can I play harry potter and the sorcere's stone in windows 10?

★★★ Newbie

I found my old harry potter`s game I played when I was a kid. The last supported operational system looks like windows xp. Is there any way I can play on my windows 10 pc?

Message 1 of 18 (29,373 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@Dukas_Figuliras

You should be able to play this game in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

Let us know if the link above helps you play, thanks.

barry.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 18 (29,821 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Dukas_Figuliras

You should be able to play this game in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

Let us know if the link above helps you play, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 18 (29,822 Views)

★ Novice

This game does not work in XP Compatibility Mode in Windows 10.  Any other ideas?

Message 3 of 18 (29,118 Views)

Community Manager

@spencerhg

Can you try the other compatibility options, there is no reason this game should not work on Windows 10.

barry.png
Message 4 of 18 (29,106 Views)

★ Novice

I have tried every combination of compatibility and the game doesn't play. I wonder if the video card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 760) might be the problem?

Thanks,

Spencer Gross

Message 5 of 18 (29,097 Views)

Community Manager

@spencerhg

It is not your video card. Upon further investigation it does appear that there is an issue with compatibility between this game and Windows 10 that has no workaround other than playing on a PC without Windows 10. Sorry.

barry.png
Message 6 of 18 (29,060 Views)

★ Novice

Is it possible that 1) these games would play on a Virtual Machine XP on Windows 10, and/or 2) Electronic Arts will come out with a patch to make these games playable on Windows 10?

Thanks again,

Spencer G.

Message 7 of 18 (28,764 Views)

Community Manager

@spencerhg

As a VM is a fully functional virtual machine, I would say that could be the way to go.

Very interested to see how that goes, could you post any results you see if/when you try a VM?

barry.png
Message 8 of 18 (28,737 Views)

@spencerhg  You have two choices: Virtual Machine and a dual-boot system (Windows 10 and Windows XP - Windows 7). 

The trouble with Windows 10 is that Microsoft blocked the installation of the old protection drivers (SecuROM, Safedisc, TAGES, StarForce), motivating the decision that they were a security risk. Even worse, they've suggested to buy the games from GOG, if they are available there, or use a pirate copy (it was a big scandal at the time, with good reason, as we did not buy the games to play a pirate copy later on). So far they did nothing to repair the damage done to the people that actually buy their games and there are no signs that they would do that anytime soon or at all. 

As for EA patching the protection out of the game, that is not possible, as the protection is on the disc and needs to be installed, along with the game. That is also the fact that EA can't do anything for their old Harry Potter games, as J.K. Rowlings gave the videogame license to Warner, after her contract with EA expired. EA had the rights to develop and publish HP games for a set time period, but when the contract expired, EA had to remove the games from sale and could not do anything to extend their life, as they did not have the rights anymore.

It's kind of absurd to see the games developed by a studio being removed from sale and losing their possibility to be patched for newer Operating Systems. But that's the modern copyright for you, sadly...

I can understand the interdiction of developing new games, but the old ones, should be available and it should be possible to make remasters from them or be patched

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 9 of 18 (28,734 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What you could do, EA, is remaster the games!! Money wouldn’t be a problem, as long as you dont change anything besides maybe graphics. These games are people’s childhoods! I personally would pay to play these games even just one more time.

Message 10 of 18 (20,946 Views)