Re: harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban imp glitch

by mefink24865

Original Post

harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban imp glitch

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I had this game a few years ago, but my old laptop broke, with the game inside. When I finally got a windows computer with a disk drive, I bought a second hand copy of the game. The game ran smoothly until the first lesson with Ron. You might of heard of the glitch before, where the imp freezes. Is there anyway I can fix this without editing files? If you don't know, the way the imp attacks, is by throwing crackers, which he doesn't do. I waited forever to get this game, and I really need help. I also know you can download this app to fix it, but I hope there is a way to fix it without doing that? I have restarted the game and turned the graphics down low. Thanks x

Message 1 of 8 (48,640 Views)

Community Manager

@simgaming451 I think that the only way to fix it is to edit the ini file.

This was posted by a user some time ago when they experienced the issue and fixed it:

• Find the folder where HP3 is installed. Mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(TM).
  • Go into the System folder, and find the Default.ini file.
  • Copy it elsewhere, like on your desktop, for a backup in case something goes wrong when you edit it.
  • Right click on the Default.ini file that is still in the System folder (not the copy you just made), click Properties, then the the Security tab. Click Edit to change permissions. Click on the group or user name in the box, then tick the box next Full Control under Allow. This will give you administrative permission to amend the Default.ini file and will stop the error message when trying to save it later. Click Apply, then OK.
  • Next double click the Default.ini file in the System folder and it should open with Notepad or a similar text editor. If it asks what to open it with, choose Notepad.
  • Scroll down to about 3/4 of the way down, and find the section headed [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]. If you search, it will probably be the 2nd entry you find, not the first one. Under the heading [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice], scroll down a little until you find this line: ReduceMouseLag=True ... delete the word True and replace it with False and save the document.

The second thing is compatibility. Right click on the desktop shortcut icon of HP3, and click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab at the top. Tick the boxes for:

• Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
  • Run in 640x480 screen resolution
  • Run this program as an administrator.

Click Apply, then OK. Then just double-click the game shortcut icon to start the game as normal. These things fixed this for me.

Darko.png
Message 2 of 8 (48,624 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Eh, doesn't work for me :c

Message 3 of 8 (47,844 Views)

★ Novice

So how we supposed to click windows xp service pack 2 when windows 10 no longer has that available? I am having a serious mental breakdown trying to get this game to work

Message 4 of 8 (45,027 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello, I also have problems with this 'imp glitch' . everything runs smooth up to this point.

ive tried changing the [D3DD....renderdevice] code from true to false like you described, but this does not have positive effects on the game.

when i try to change or adjust the 'defuser' file to try and ghost my way out of the room with the imp to continue the lesson, it tells me that im not permitted to change code in that file,

and I should get permission from the owner of the file.

so far i've tried everything that i've seen online to try and resolve this issue, but nothing works.....!

please, please,please help me as i really want to play this game !

Message 5 of 8 (43,509 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@dark_rumble97Had the same problem today and for me worked when i forced game to cap FPS at 60 if have more imp glitch.

Message 6 of 8 (43,000 Views)

★★ Novice
@mefink24865 Just use rivatunner and lock in 60fps
Message 7 of 8 (20,230 Views)

★★ Novice

Just download rivatunner and lock the game to 60fps

Message 8 of 8 (20,229 Views)