why wont wing commander 4 load? i get this "VirtualProtect() failed"

by nannup9806

Original Post

Re: Wing Commander Series

★★ Apprentice

Wing Commander III:

Cannot use joystick. Works fine on calibration and on the ship, but once I launch in the fighter I can only fire my lasers using the joystick. Using Logitech Wingman Attack 2 USB joystick.

Wing Commander IV: Is the version released on Origin one of the Windows 95 ports? Maybe the DVD release? I'd like to know before I download it.

Message 111 of 132 (2,186 Views)

Wing Commander 4 Origin update not working

★★★★★ Novice

I've just bought the Humble Origin 2 pack and one of the games included was Wing Commander 4...now that I've finally finished to download it (around 7 gb) origin tells me that  ther's an update available, but when I try to install it, the message error "download failure" always comes out.

I've tryed everything but it never installs (executing Origin with administrator rights, repairing the game, enabling the "safe download mode", uninstall and reinstall both Origin and Wing Commander 4 but with no avail)

So anyone knows if there's a way to apply the patch manually or what do I have to do? Also notice that the game regularly starts without installing the patch, but since this is a very old game, I think having the most updated version would be very helful to avoid possible crashes and bugs (I'm using Windows 8.1 64 bit)

Thank you

Message 112 of 132 (2,052 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 4 Origin update not working

★★★★★ Novice

It's been fixed by the new origin update....now the WC4 patch has been installed and everything seems to be ok...thanks

Message 113 of 132 (2,003 Views)

wing commander 4 joystick calibration

★★★ Newbie

I cant to get my Logitech joystick to work. it works in privateer but not wing commander any suggestions?

Message 114 of 132 (1,923 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 4 Origin update not working

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi,

the new update is not working! (on Win 7 64bit)

The update will be installeld, but after that again the virtual protection error appears!

After that i try running Origin.exe as Admin and start WC4 from inside Origin, the Screen goes black an HD ist loading....

than am small window opens with the Massage that WC4DVD.exe ist no more working.

And yes, Compatibility is set to win98 and run as an Admin!

At first try there was another Errormsg, somting like C++ Runtimeerror.... diden´t popup again.

I tried also AC3 Filter installing, but has no effect.

Sorry for bad english, i´m from Germany and more then 35 years out of school Wink

Message 115 of 132 (1,917 Views)

Re: Wing Commander IV Joystick support

★★★ Newbie

Wing commander 4 for works on windows 8.1?   

Message 116 of 132 (1,834 Views)

virtual protect failed

★ Novice

I bought Wing commander IV. and i can't play it. I start the game and the message Virtual Protech failed.  Please help

Message 117 of 132 (1,829 Views)

wing commander keyboard layout

★★★ Newbie

Where can I get a list of keyboard or any info on how to exit wing commander or play and the keyboard mappings

Thank you!

Message 118 of 132 (1,812 Views)

Wing Commander 1 message 'Load a game first' inside the game.

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello there! I've just installed Wing Commander - the very first one - and it seemed OK. But once inside the game it kept showing the messaage "Load a game girst" wherever I click the screen. +So how to load a game if I still have none anywhere?

Answers and opinions are welcome! Thanks! 

Message 119 of 132 (1,802 Views)

why wont wing commander 4 load? i get this "VirtualProtect() failed"

★★★★★ Newbie

Just bought Wing Commander 4 from Origin yesterday and it would not load saying "VirtualProtect() failed." So I payed IN CASH AND 6.5 Gig of Australian data (yes we have to pay for our data) Just to have the game not work. And now i see thousands of people just like me have the same problem. Weather they got it from Origin or GOG .

Now are you guys aware of the situation and is it ok with you to sell to the public a product which dosnt work????????????????????

Regards

Michael Wilson

[edit: email address removed]

Message 120 of 132 (1,742 Views)