Wing Commander IV Joystick support

by gypher

Original Post

Re: Calibration

Community Manager

@marach255 wrote:

how do i go about calibrating my Xbox controler in wing commander III ?

@marach255 Hi,

I have moved your thread to the Wing Commander Series forum thread within the Other EA Games section.

To answer your question: Once flying, try pressing alt+o and then select Joystick in the top left corner and then exit. The Joystick should work now. If it does not, press alt+o once more and this time choose calibrate in the lower right and proceed there.

Generally, for all available keyboard comments, there is a list here: http://www.wcnews.com/controls.shtml#wc3

Cheers,

Nils

Message 71 of 132 (3,141 Views)

Wing Commander IV Joystick support

★★ Newbie

Hi guys!

I am struggling a little bit getting the (Origin based) Wing Commander IV installation to accept my USB Joystick. I have set it as default controller in my Windows 8.1 and it does accept the trigger when the first mission starts, but not the axis or any other buttons at all. The stick I use is a Thrustmaster Warthog (have not tried the full HOTAS yet, but I guess it won't help if I can't even get the stick running.)

Any idea?

thx

Rick

Message 72 of 132 (5,285 Views)

Re: Wing Commander IV Joystick support

Community Manager

@gypher Hi,

To answer your question: Once flying, try pressing alt+o and then select Joystick in the top left corner and then exit. The Joystick should work now. If it does not, press alt+o once more and this time choose calibrate in the lower right and proceed there.

Generally, for all available keyboard comments, there is a list here: http://www.wcnews.com/controls.shtml#wc4

Cheers,

Nils

Message 73 of 132 (5,280 Views)

Wing Commander 3 Joystick malfunction

★★★ Newbie

The joystick won't work when flying a ship in WC3.It works in the menus but not when flying the simulator or a mission.  How do I fix it?

Message 74 of 132 (5,289 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 3 Joystick malfunction

Community Manager

@eiskull Hi,

I have moved your post to the main Wing Commander thread. As previously stated, once flying, try pressing alt+o and then select Joystick in the top left corner and then exit. The Joystick should work now. If it does not, press alt+o once more and this time choose calibrate in the lower right and proceed there.

Generally, for all available keyboard comments, there is a list here: http://www.wcnews.com/controls.shtml#wc4

Cheers,

Nils

Message 75 of 132 (5,274 Views)

Wing Commander 4 VirtualProtect() failed

★★ Novice

I just purchased Wing Commander 4, installed it, and it gives me an error message when lauching that says "VirtualProtect() Failed".  I've tried putting the launch file into all sorts of different combinations of compatibilty modes, but nothing has worked for me so far.

Any ideas?

Message 76 of 132 (5,268 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 4 VirtualProtect() failed

Community Manager

@danbojones7g Hi,

It looks like some that had the same issue as you found a solution over here.

Let me know whether that resolves the issue for you as well.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 77 of 132 (5,265 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 4 VirtualProtect() failed

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have tried using the patch listed on these sites to fix my problem.  When running the WC4DVDFix application, I recieve an error message saying "Filesize Mismatch!"  I have not found any other forums regarding that error message.  Any further help with this is greatly appreciated.

Edit:  I am running windows 7, 64 bit, ATI Radeon 5700 series, 8 gigs of ram.  Don't know if that will help, but I'm still having problems with this "Filesize mismatch" thing.

Message 78 of 132 (5,257 Views)

Wing Commander 4 VirtualProtect failed

★ Novice

I keep getting a VirtualProtect failed error message when trying to run the game. 

I've already tried the solution posted here , but it doesn't seem to work for the Origin version of the game (file size mismatch error message).

What's going on?

Cheers

Message 79 of 132 (5,246 Views)

Wing Commander IV VirtualProtect() failed and more

★ Novice

Same problem as the other people posting about tghat VirtualProtect error, but more...

when I have origin check for updates to the game it seems to ifind a 672 byte update of some kind, which instantly fails.

Wing Commander III seems to ruyn at least (got into the game, saw it was working)

WC4, I have tried every compatibility setting, tried the fix from the other site and got the filesize mismatch error, tried the repair game function, and even reinstalled the game, and of course the obligatory reboot... nothing but a bunch of wasted time.

Running Windows 7 64 bit, fx-6100, 4GB GTX 770 w/344.75 drivers, origin and associated games are on an SSD with the drive letter G

16GB system ram, way more free space than I need. (my inner nerd is yelling "too new" at me, but WC3 played)

Oh well, instead of banging my head trying to get a game thats almost 2 decades old to work on fairly new hardware, Im going to go play some dragon age.

Message 80 of 132 (5,228 Views)