Re: Wing Commander 3 Mouse Issues

by EA_Nils

Original Post

Wing Commander 3 Mouse Issues

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I downloaded the free game, Wing Command 3 (thanks!). Unfortunately I can't seem to fly the ship with my mouse in the simulator. Is there something I need to do? I don't see anything in the controls interface.

Message 41 of 132 (1,390 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Wing Commander 3 Mouse Issues

Community Manager

@NecessaryWeevil Hi,

I have moved your thread to the Wing Commander Series forum thread within the Other EA Games section.

To answer your question: Once flying, try pressing alt+o and then select mouse in the top left corner and then exit. The mouse should work now.

Generally, for all available keyboard comments, there is a list here: http://www.wcnews.com/controls.shtml#wc3

Cheers,

Nils

Message 42 of 132 (1,430 Views)

Wing Commander 3 how to get full screen?

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

Just downloaded the free Wing Commander 3

Wanting to play a favorite oldie.

But when i boot op the game it displays in not full screen (no windowed mode) but at: above, down. left and right i see black bars.

Can any one help me with this?

How do i get full screen?

And the quality is abit low to! but i gues thats due to an old game right? or is this changeble to?

hope to hear from you.

Thanks

Message 43 of 132 (1,435 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 3 how to get full screen?

★★★ Novice

Your best bet to get it full screen is to play it  with your screen settings to 640-480  ( that was the  basic setting back then  i think)  so basicly set you screen resolution to the old   settings and the game should become full screen

Message 44 of 132 (1,431 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 3 how to get full screen?

Community Manager

@mustangshelbygt5 Hi,

I moved your post to the Wing Commander Series thread within the Other EA Games forums.

Try clicking on the window and then pressing Alt+Enter, this normally forces a window into fullscreen. However, if your desktop aspect ratio is different from what monitors back then used to be, there is unfortunately not much that you can do, outside of changing the resolution as @tibbletoad suggested.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 45 of 132 (1,427 Views)

Joystick in Wing Commander

★★★ Newbie

My game plays, and even lets me calibrate the joystick (Saitek FLY), but when I start a simulator game or fly a mission, I can't get the joystick to work.  I can only fly by keyboard Confusedmileymad:

I used to love this game...but I also used to have an analog joystick.  Please tell me someone has a workaround for this!!

Message 46 of 132 (1,419 Views)

Re: Wing Commander Series

★★ Novice
So like I said before, the game is unplayable. The controls aren't saved even after you fix them, you have to change them EVERY time you start the game. Changing the controls on my joystick disabled literally half of my keyboard. The few times they do work, they immediately stop working after a mission, which forces you to hard shut down the game thus losing all progress because you can't access menus to save. My joystick becomes uncalibrated midway through the game while simultaneously disabling the calibration tool. The sad part about all of this is that I'm using the EXACT SAME joystick I used to play this in the early 90s, and it doesn't work right. I'm so glad that this game was free and I didn't lose any money on it because it is completely WORTHLESS.
Message 47 of 132 (1,413 Views)

Re: Joystick in Wing Commander

★★★ Newbie

Are we talking about Wing Commander 1? If you are talking about Wing Commander 3 or 4, does the joystick work in the gameflow sections (on board your carrier)?  If it does then press Alt+o on your keyboard once you launch into space and select joystick as your input and click to save settings.

If we're talking about WC1, then I would assume you have the stick calibrated in windows? If windows recognizes your stick dosbox should have no issues with it as long as dosbox is configured for joysticks.   One suggestion would be to disconnect any other USB devices (especially game controllers) that you aren't using as sometimes they interfere with eachother.

Message 48 of 132 (1,411 Views)

Re: Wing Commander Series

★★★ Newbie

When you change the joystick setting in the in-flight option menu you have to make sure to click save or you will have to do it every mission

Message 49 of 132 (1,410 Views)

Re: Joystick in Wing Commander

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@conorthecop Hi,

Unfortunately this isn't very intuitive. As adspace pointed out, you will have to press Alt+O while in space after you started a mission.

@adspace wrote:

Are we talking about Wing Commander 1? If you are talking about Wing Commander 3 or 4, does the joystick work in the gameflow sections (on board your carrier)?  If it does then press Alt+o on your keyboard once you launch into space and select joystick as your input and click to save settings.

If we're talking about WC1, then I would assume you have the stick calibrated in windows? If windows recognizes your stick dosbox should have no issues with it as long as dosbox is configured for joysticks.   One suggestion would be to disconnect any other USB devices (especially game controllers) that you aren't using as sometimes they interfere with eachother.

Generally, for all available keyboard comments, there is a list here: http://www.wcnews.com/controls.shtml#wc3

Cheers,

Nils

Message 50 of 132 (1,406 Views)