Re: Will lord of the rings be remastered or put on ps4???

by danmessirogers

Original Post

Will lord of the rings be remastered or put on ps4???

★ Novice
I want to get this game remastered both two towers and return of the king so badly is there any way that it will?
Message 1 of 10 (48,369 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Yeah i want that lord of the rings must be back like
In our childhood
Message 2 of 10 (48,278 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi @fourputtmatt

I have to agree, I would also like to see the LOTR games updated and relaunched. Sadly, I highly doubt the chances of that happening. The problem with Lord of the Rings games that where developed by EA is the fact that the IP (Intellectual Property) does not actually belong to EA. What happens when a company like EA gets contracted to make games for a movie franchise, is they usually negotiate how many games will be developed and for how long the company would have access to that IP. After this time period the developer loses access to the IP meaning they are no longer allowed to have any interaction with that IP anymore. That includes trading under the IP. The situation is very similar with Harry Potter games developed by EA, and to make matters worse and hence my starting line, that IP currently belongs to Warner Bros. due to Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and the potential sequel. So highly unlikely.

What I would suggest, at least for Battle for Middle-earth II: Rise of the Witch King, is to give that another try if you still have the retail disc copy and use the patch: RotWK Patch 2.02 v6.0.0 WS. This is an unofficial patch that fixes a lot of bugs that where still present in the game after EA lost access to The Lord of the Rings IP. The patch also updates the game to support modern hardware as well as add widescreen support and tweaks the AI. The latest version of the patch was released in April 2016.

The patch along with a list of changes can be downloaded here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/rotwk-patch-202/downloads/rotwk-patch-202-v600-ws

Hope this helps Standard smile

Take Care

Message 3 of 10 (48,252 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

they should at least make old games ready for a downloading platform like ubisoft origin or steam so that the games can atleast be downloaded. many people dont have the game disc anymore since cd's and dvd's just are not build to last they will fail and people want to buy another copy to keep playing a platform like steam could help with that since the dvd is not sold anymore 

Message 4 of 10 (45,117 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Lotr game is out of this world
It should be available for ps4
So many players will buy it
For example .. crash is simple ood game .. But so many players biy tlit
Old is gold👍❤
Message 5 of 10 (42,915 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all, we don't have any information at the moment as to whether this will one day be made backwards compatible or remastered.

Darko.png
Message 6 of 10 (42,871 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi @COYG_Arsenalist, @fourputtmatt, @EA_Darko

If you are referring to the two titles that the OP was referring to: The Two Towers & The Return of the King. Here are some issues I see specifically with those two titles: Firstly, The Lord of the Rings is an Intellectual Property (IP) that belongs to Warner Bros currently. EA can not under law touch any "works" related to an IP that is owned by another entity unless under contract by the owner of the IP. 

Secondly and relating to The Two Towers specifically, this game was developed by a studio called Stormfront Studio. Defunct since 2008. Now you have to start asking questions such as, where is the code base for this title, was it destroyed, auctioned off or handed over to the IP owner? With The Return of the King you have a similar issue, although not so severe. EA's Redwood development studio, then known as EA Redwood Shores. Afterwards known as Visceral Games, now known as defunct, developed that game. Now you have to ask the question, where is the code base for that game stored, is it still available, was it also handed over to the IP holder etc...

Another question you need to ask and this relates to both titles. Let's say you do get hold of both titles' code bases. Now you have to assemble a team of developers, and take it from me a developer, there is nothing worse that trying to make sense of code written by someone else, especially code that's 15 to 16 years old. Games developed with older systems in mind such as the PS2 and Original Xbox using old technologies. So to start you will need to get hold of an old PS2 or Xbox dev kit. You need to ensure the code is compiling and running, making changes to a code base that you aren't even sure is complete is a deep dark hole you do not want to go down. Now you need to weigh the pros and * of which version of the game was better versus which one will be easier to port. 

Then you get to the really technical stuff that will take another 3 to 4 paragraphs to explain even at a very simplified high level, that I wont bore you with, and despite all of that you've then only managed to get the original game working. No enhancements, no 4K textures, no HDR or Bloom or any other effects, not even a bump in the resolution, nothing.  

Trust me, you are better off just getting a copy of each game from Ebay and playing it on your PS4. There are tutorials online that show you how to get your PS4 to play PS2 games. Alternatively you can purchase a second hand PC on Ebay as well that isn't older than a decade and in some cases even one older will work. Install PCSX2, dump your PS2 bios and play it on there. If the PC is powerful enough you can even enhance the game to make use of 4K resolution, Anti-aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering etc...   

Hope This Helps

Take Care Standard smile

Message 7 of 10 (42,860 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Pff I would love to play Return of the king again on PS4.. All those memories Standard smile 

Message 8 of 10 (34,780 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i agree, also it been a while since a GOOD couch co-op has been put out for playstation! 

Message 9 of 10 (32,912 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@SgtRomeo9That is bull *.. companies are literally only about making money yet they make games for ‘entertainment’

Message 10 of 10 (16,920 Views)