Ultima VII: The Complete Edition

by Valbot

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Ultima VII: The Complete Edition

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi just downloaded Ultima 7 Complete Edition, appears to download fine runs the original game (The Black Gate and the Expansion), however the complete edition also includes the sequel "The Serpent Isle" as well as the expansion "The Silver Seed.  

Problems I'm having are:

1) The game has the option to update via Origin but simply doesn't want to (returns Download Failed and just offers the option to resume but never completes - have tried to repair installation, etc but just get the Black Gate).

2) If I navigate to the directory where the game is stored there is a .exe for Serpent Isle (SI.exe) but any attempts to run that just return that I need a 32bit and not 64bit OS.  This shouldn't be an issue as 1) the original game works fine and 2) it runs via DOSBOX which shouldn't make the OS an issue. - There's also no indication of needing a specific OS in the system requirements page.

Anyone experiencing similar issues? not sure if it's an issue with Origin or EA just rehashing an old game and not testing it before they sell it.  Anyone got a work around or fix? 

Message 1 of 20 (2,406 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Ultima 7 The complete edition

Community Manager

@Valbot @Kleineganz Hi,

So, you should be able to start "Serpent Isle" by right clicking the Ultima VII tile within Origin and selecting "Show Game Details". Now scroll down to "expansions" and you will be able to mouse over the second game tile there which is labeled as "Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle". Just click on play and it should work.

Regarding the attempts to update the game, what happens when you try to cancel the update? Are you able to proceed then? 

If not, try uninstalling again and reinstalling from scratch without selecting "Search for Updates".

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 5 of 20 (2,616 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Valbot Hi,

Thanks for the heads up, I have passed your info on for investigation. I will report back as soon as I receive an update.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 20 (2,385 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm running into the same problem. I was able to download, install and play the game - but now it's trying to do an update and the dowload keeps failing. It also doesn't seem to want to play properly without the update.

Message 3 of 20 (2,362 Views)

Ultima VII: The Cmplete Edition - How to Launch Serpent Isle

★ Novice

I just purchased Ultima 7 and I'm wondering how to launch the Serpent Isle.  The desktop icon and Origin launch the Black Gate, with no options to select which part or expansion to play.  Is there a way to launch just Serpent Isle, or one of the expansions (Forge of Virtue or Silver Seed)?

Message 4 of 20 (2,359 Views)

Community Manager

@Valbot @Kleineganz Hi,

So, you should be able to start "Serpent Isle" by right clicking the Ultima VII tile within Origin and selecting "Show Game Details". Now scroll down to "expansions" and you will be able to mouse over the second game tile there which is labeled as "Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle". Just click on play and it should work.

Regarding the attempts to update the game, what happens when you try to cancel the update? Are you able to proceed then? 

If not, try uninstalling again and reinstalling from scratch without selecting "Search for Updates".

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 5 of 20 (2,617 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks Nils - Running the expansion from 'View Game Details' worked.  :womanvery-happy:

Origin still wants to update Ultima VII and the updates still queued, it does seem to want to try everytime I log onto origin (and fails) but doesn't appear to impact on the game in anyway so just a little inconvinient but no biggie.

Message 6 of 20 (2,353 Views)

Community Manager

@Jezla9 Please check out my post just above: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-EA-Games/Ultima-VII-The-Complete-Edition/m-p/3260261#M20108

Valbot, you are welcome!

Message 7 of 20 (2,348 Views)

★ Novice

Thank You!

Message 8 of 20 (2,344 Views)

Community Manager
Have fun! Standard smile
Message 9 of 20 (2,342 Views)

★ Guide

What about the issue of the game still wanting to update, and always failing to do so?

Every time I start up Origin I have to deal with this, Nils. Apparently, so do several people that have posted here.

Can we get an update on the actual problem described by the OP, namely, that Ultima VII will not update and Origin is mad about it?

Message 10 of 20 (2,322 Views)