I found my copy of LOTR: Conquest.
I installed it and after that when to try to play it I get
"there seems to be a problem contacting the license server. please ensure your internet connection is active and try again in a few minutes"
I contacted Origin support so i got Origin version of the game, the ensure me that after reinstalling from Origin it will start to work but nope it doesn't.
So I opened second case on Origin support.
They asked me to "refresh" DNS. Refresh the internet settings, Make a DxDiag file and send to them (but mail don't accept answers)
And to disable firewall. I made all of this steps and none of them works.
I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.